Unlimited access >

Court date for Michael Barisone?

If you’ve read this thread and others, then you would see that I was attacked for trying to give some context about what LK’s family might be going through. So, no. I didn’t attack anyone who hasn’t attacked me previously. And happily I think we made nice.

2 Likes

Sure. Agree we don’t know. But disagree that bringing a gun to the fight is well advised. You and I usually agree on other threads, and I am sorry we don’t on this point. He had the gun. He used the gun. For me, personally, that is a hard line I draw. Can we please agree to disagree on that? I don’t think guns are an answer, even if you are scared of a dog. No amount of debating and hand wringing will change my mind on that. (Unless she presented a physical threat).

3 Likes

Never said that. I don’t think anyone has.

2 Likes

This exactly! We know she and RG had threatened everyone on the property, but one of her stories is she was lounging on the porch reading, innocent as a new born lamb, when Barisone rages up and shoots her point blank. Nope, I don’t buy it. This woman lost all credibility a long time ago for me.

I am beginning to wonder if this case will actually go to trial. There are plenty of reasons for the State of NJ to offer a plea and get this off their books. We may actually get more answers from Barisone’s civil suit.

18 Likes

Okay, then I don’t agree that a gun is appropriate to bring to an already tense situation to defend against a dog. I mean, I don’t want to be eaten by Alstasians or whatever Bridget Jones. Planted in our brains either… but that ain’t a logical solution in my mind.

1 Like

Let’s hope that it does. Everyone deserves their day in court! And yeah, this one is messy. But I don’t know the state is going to be that incentivized to plea it out. It has visibility, so that alone may lead them to go to trial, assuming their evidence is solid. I am not a lawyer but have been a jury member. I am also an advocate of criminal justice reform. Seems to me that well-heeled, white people are more likely to fight. If case isn’t solid, they may get the plea. High profile cases are less likely to be pled out. If the state has solid evidence and believe they can win (vs defendant has bad representation and is resigned and nobody cares and state saves money by avoiding a trial and nobody pushes back), then plea deal sounds unlikely. Most people probably don’t remember Michael Barisone (if they ever did) aside from “horse dancing” and a late night sketch. But he still was a (reserve) Olympian, after all. The eventual outcome will probably garner news.

1 Like

Also, let’s not forget that before civil suit and other recentl developments, “ Mr. Barisone, who was charged with two counts of attempted murder, said that he shot Ms. Kanarek in self-defense.” as per NYT.

I still find that claim flimsy. Hope this goes to trial so we all get answers. If, as has been recently claimed, he doesn’t recall the events… how is that defense valid?

1 Like

And as far as premeditation and/or an insanity defense goes… if I was a prosecutor, I would be focusing on this excerpt from the Times:

Three days before the attack, on Aug. 4, Mr. Barisone called 911 a final time. “I’m taking my life back,” he told the operator.

When the police responded the day of the shooting, they found Mr. Barisone pinned beneath Mr. Goodwin, a black and pink 9-millimeter Ruger pistol under both of them. The police report indicated that he also shot at Mr. Goodwin but missed.

As medical personnel and police officers circled through, Mr. Barisone was overheard repeating the same sentence: “I had a good life.”

2 Likes

Barisone has never made a public statement. The first anyone heard from Barisone publicly was the civil complaint against the MCPD.

All the police reports, done well after the day in question, only had Rob’s version of events.

17 Likes

Yes, true. But his lawyers have responded in his stead. And there is public record as well as reporting.

3 Likes

Quoting myself. Lol. But maybe Lala needs to take a page out of his playbook as has been suggested numerous times! She is honestly her own worst enemy.

4 Likes

I often cite the movie My Cousin Vinny as a good comparison as to how a case can go. In the movie evidence is given of a defendant statement “I shot the clerk”. But that was a total misrepresentation of “I shot the clerk?”

MB saying “I had a good life” could well be reflection that prior to the current mess that he had w good life. Taking his life back is something I myself have said more than once, and never was attempted murder part of that.

I’ve also referenced an armed robbery/hostage situatìon that occurred in which I was a victim. The next days newspaper report was not only wrong but implied I was in that location for “drug” reasons when in fact I had called a friend for a ride during a rainstorm and we stopped in her brothers apartment which was above a dentist’s office and the thugs were looking for dentist drugs.

So best not to assume anything.

21 Likes

Yes I would agree. However I stand by what I said. I was on a jury and I saw the tricks both sides used. I stand by evidence is evidence. This was an armed robbery wherein the person on trial tried to shoot the victim but shot an accomplice. It was tragic and sad and when we convicted I cried. I don’t believe our system is going to reform that kid. Tricks are tricks and if the prosecution has built a case then that is what we got.

ETA: we had utterances that were admitted! Also: Siri hates me!

2 Likes

No flame suit required. I agree with most of what you’ve said. I’m not sure I’d think it were unreasonable to bring a weapon if I thought a dog might attack me, but of course the second he pointed it at something other than the dog, that became unreasonable (unless LK or RG actually attacked him of course.)

5 Likes

Say what now?

3 Likes

I can’t speak for anyone else here but yes, I do place SOME of the responsibility on the victim.

She did not deserve to be shot, but it seems that she had opportunities to remove herself from the situation and did not.

No one deserves to be hit by a car. So, if it’s a busy city street you cross on a crosswalk with the light. That’s the responsible thing to do. If you decide to jaywalk and jump into traffic from between parked busses, well you might get hit.

FWIW we had a situation a few miles from my house where a woman was walking her dog and was set upon by pit bulls. Yeah, I would be carrying a weapon of some sort.

https://fredericksburg.com/local/large-convicted-in-dog-mauling-case/article_44e0765d-906a-5363-af08-481834bbb6c3.html
SPOTSYLVANIA, Va. (AP) - A jury on Thursday found a Partlow woman guilty of involuntary manslaughter for allowing her pit bulls to run loose and kill an 82-year-old woman.

Deanna Large, 37, sat quietly in Spotsylvania County Circuit Court. Members of victim Dorothy Sullivan’s family wept after the verdict was read.

Large was also found guilty of two misdemeanor charges of allowing her dogs to run loose. She faces up to 12 years in prison on all three charges.

During the trial, witnesses testified that Large’s pit bulls had menaced the neighborhood. Animal control officers had taken two of her pit bulls away in August 2004 after they allegedly killed a kitten. At one point, Large had 13 pit bulls living in her doublewide trailer, a detective testified.

Sullivan was attacked March 8 by three pit bulls while she took her shih tzu, Buttons, for a walk outside her home. The dog also was killed.

7 Likes

Typo in a Bridget Jones quote. That she would die and be eaten by Alsatians (German Shepherds). I don’t want to be killed and eaten by dogs but I also wouldn’t personally bring a gun for protection.

1 Like

What would you do to protect yourself?

MB bears some responsibility in that he should have let the legal system play out but he knew that the dog had already bitten RC.

I am certainly pro gun control but I do routinely carry mace.

3 Likes

99% chance he’d be out of jail by now if he had maced her instead of shot her. Just saying.

6 Likes

Of course. But the gun was a weapon of opportunity. And the problem with mace is that you need to be close to the target for it to be effective.

2 Likes