Unlimited access >

COVID at Jersey Fresh?

I just watched some social media videos of Jersey Fresh. Big crowds and from what I could tell, almost nobody was wearing a mask. This strikes me as extremely irresponsible and not a good image for eventing. I’m in Canada (where we are all annoyed that Bromont is suddenly open to US competitors and we can’t even visit our family outside our health region).

5 Likes

I can’t speak for the covid rules at Jersey Fresh (for what its worth I tried to look them up, but the section I read in the linked rulebook takes effect May 17th, and it was unclear to me what the rules applied at JF would be)

I also can’t speak for the videos or pictures you saw, because the ones I saw everyone was wearing their masks. I am not doubting that those exist, I just didn’t see any.

I just will note that most/all Americans have had access to the vaccine since April. I was in the last age group to be eligible for a vaccine and am still considered fully vaccinated as is my DH. Per the latest CDC guidelines,

“You can gather or conduct activities outdoors without wearing a mask except in certain crowded settings and venues.”

The May 17th rule update that I referenced above, does allow mask removal outdoors as long as social distancing is maintained.

So really I have nothing useful to add to the conversation, I just wanted to note from an American’s point of view, I am not immediately averse to seeing people outdoors without masks these days, as it is possible or maybe even likely depending on the age group that they have had the vaccine.

That being said, I really do think it is important for competitors to follow the covid rules put in place for competing as we are very lucky to be able to continue our hobby during the pandemic and I would hate to lose access to that.

8 Likes

The tricky thing is that each state has its own mask rules, and often those rules vary additionally city to city.

New Jersey still has a mask mandate for all indoor gatherings and “outdoors when social distancing is not possible.” But the social distancing rules are still kind of ambiguous with the latest CDC guidance that 3ft is acceptable (even indoors) when 6ft is not possible.

I saw all masked people in photos, but I don’t doubt people were lax being outdoors.

3 Likes

I’m vaccinated but wore my mask when near people but you are right about people at tables watching. No one was masked.

3 Likes

Maybe you should direct your frustration at Canadian authorities ?

PAGE 12;
https://www.usef.org/forms-pubs/XhKGVYiiwTA/usef-covid-19-action-plan-for-operating?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Press%20Release%20-%20Spectators%20-%2004.07.21%20(1)&utm_content=

1 Like

The CDC changed their recommendation on outdoor mask wearing early last week. Jersey Fresh was within CDC compliance. Vaccines have now been available just about everywhere for anyone who wants one for well over a month. At some point people have to be allowed to make their own personal risk assessments and act accordingly.

Also see opening day of baseball for the Texas Rangers over a month ago. The stadium was completely full, there were no masks and even though there were plenty of naysayers hogging national media there was zero change in the downward trajectory of cases and deaths. Note there are no apologies for castigating the governor, the Rangers, and Texans in general. But then again people are spiteful and mean and covid has made them more so.

6 Likes

I noticed the same thing watch different videos posted on social media. This was one of the first big events allowing spectators since covid. On the Jersey Fresh website there was a link for the current USEF protocol. It did state masks had to worn. I believe the TD is responsible for enforcing the rule.

USEF is dropping the mask requirement for vaccinated individuals as of May 17, so while some might be jumping the gun a little, there is absolutely no reason to keep judging people for what is perfectly consistent with best practice. Besides, this was FEI so do the USEF requirements even apply?

Everyone who wants to be vaccinated has been for quite a while here.

3 Likes

Aren’t they required to be fully vaccinated to go to Bromont? If so, I can’t see the issue. The vaccines work.

2 Likes