Unlimited access >

CP Masters on H&C

Anyone able to watch? “No stream from facility”?

Try rolexgrandslam.com. Second round about to begin.

1 Like

Ooo, thanks!!!

Everybody is wearing a lot of layers.

I’m in. Thanks! Just finishing the course walk for Round 2.

Wait, do they use that same facility for soccer? It looked that way in one of the ads.

I assume you’re talking about Spruce Meadows. Yes the soccer field is on the same property. It’s a large piece of land!

So the soccer is not on the same field as the horse show? Is the soccer a big deal there?

The soccer is held on The Meadows on the Green ring (used for soccer and jumping) and they are going to be building a new stadium on the grounds in the next few years, that will be just for soccer! Yes soccer is a pretty big deal, the games draw around 2000 to 3000 people, so they built new stands in that stadium for it …there’s a new professional league in Canada that’s been around for 2 years now and Spruce meadows owns one of the teams……Calgary Cavalry FFC. Spruce Meadows is huge , they have about 8 grass rings and then all their sand rings plus the 2 indoor arenas!

The International Ring is not as lush and green as it normally is….we are in a drought in Alberta so grass is suffering this year!

Here’s a few pics from today’s class….(I only got a few as I was too busy watching LOL)

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks. So is there one more week to go? And if so, is that the regular schedule, or is it different this year?

It looks like you had a great time! :slight_smile:

It’s a totally different schedule to normal! The Masters has been held on the same weekend (this one) but next week is now the North American which is normally held in July, and the week before the masters was the National which is normally right before the North American. This year they originally weren’t going to have any tournaments again, but got an excemption and were able to put on all of their big shows for 3 weeks in September.

Because Canada opened to international travellers on September 7, spruce were then able to offer limited tickets to The Masters and now also to next weeks North American

That sounds like a pretty crazy scrambled up schedule, but that’s about par for the course after the past year. At least they were able to hold some shows one way or another. Yay!

I noticed the grass. I don’t think I’ve seen it looking so poor for a long time.

Fortunately the worst grass at Spruce Meadows is better than the best grass in theUS (a moment of silence for Southampton​:grimacing:). Mr Palacios took my breath away with his amazing courses. That Milky Way mare was amazing and I lived every step with her rider as she was educated the hard way about those double liverpools (but all ended well). So many horses outdid themselves. I wish they could all win. Looking at you, Gazelle. And Blue Movie. And so much to anticipate from Kasper. Sorry, Calgary makes me kinda wordy :joy:.

1 Like

Does anyone know what the brand was on her left shoulder? I know the announcer said she was an Australian warmblood, so I wondered if it was supposed to be an outline of Australia.

It might be a farm brand….on the SM order of go for today, she is listed as an Australian Warmblood!

She is definitely fabulous! My favourite though, was Cocolina ….he is little, and just amazing! I have tickets again to the North American on Sunday, so 8m hoping they’re both in it again!

Edited to add……it’s probably the A and W brand shown on this page

https://www.deviantart.com/auswba/journal/The-Australian-Warmblood-Breed-Information-355929037

Interesting, thanks. The article does say that the brand should be on the hind end, not the shoulder. So I wonder if the brand on the gray mare’s shoulder is something else.

Have fun this weekend!!

Same! I’m so excited to finally see the Derby in person, after years of watching on TV.