Unlimited access >

Crash sensor for helmet?

Hi, new COTH friends. I’m a longtime COTH subscriber to the good old print magazine and occasional lurker in some of the forums here.

I had a recent lively tumble from my horse that has caused me to research safety aids. I searched the threads and saw old posts about the IceDot helmet sensor. I didn’t see any recent posts.

Does anyone have experience with helmet sensors that alert your contact list and/or 911 if you take a tumble? Here is the newer version of the IceDot, it’s called the ANGi Crash Sensor .

I’ll be going to my local bike shop soon to check it out in person. Surely these are things in the horse world, right? I do have an Apple watch w fall detection but am interested in all my options and now have friends interested too.

Thanks very much in advance!

Interesting you post this, I was just perusing Calevo early this am and came across this: https://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo/process/locale/en_US/page/2100253c21.html

The TOCSEN Button with integrated emergency call system bearing the Made in Germany label. Comprising Tocsen crash sensor and smartphone app (Android & iOS), the unique technology automatically detects a fall and asks riders how they are. If they don’t respond within 30 seconds, the system automatically notifies the emergency contacts entered in the app and guides helpers directly to the site of the accident. An additional setting in the app gives the option of triggering an automated emergency call to all Tocsen users in the immediate vicinity. As a result, every outdoor sports enthusiast in the Tocsen community becomes a potential first-aider. It goes without saying that the Tocsen app is GDPR-compliant and only saves user data that is absolutely essential for the service. All information is stored exclusively on servers in Germany that meet the stringent data protection standards. Download and use of the Tocsen app are free of charge. The sensor can easily be attached to the helmet shell and is immediately ready for use.

Unfortunately, I have never used it so cannot provide first hand feedback. But very interesting.

Thank you for this! I have a Uvex helmet that I love so I would be interested in one with the sensor when they are available. I checked the Apple app store and didn’t see the app for this device yet. I will definitely keep my eyes open for it to hit the US market (I wonder if the German product would work with the US emergency notification systems?).

Thanks again for bringing this one to my attention!

There was a Canadian company making impact sensors for helmets that would send impact information and concussion warnings to a cellphone. They were targeting youth hockey and football and went on Dragon’s Den to get investment and contacts to try and break into the national leagues.

I can’t remember the sensor/company name.

Shockbox - google brings it up on Amazon and even a tack shop site!

Thank you for finding and sharing this, RedHorses! The Canadian site is selling it but it is out of stock on Amazon and I can’t find the app in the Apple AppStore. I’m going to reach out to the tack store selling it for more information.

If nothing else, this seems like a big potential market and need for us solo-riders.