Unlimited access >

Creating a grain regimen for a horse with corn, preservative and binder allergies?

How lush do you suppose that pasture is up in Maine at the end of the season? May look good but it’s probably played out nutritionally.

They are all eating a very large amount of the Timothy/orchard but that may mean it’s nutritionally lacking unless they are hog fat on it. And do you do the feeding? Are you there at each feeding? Have you actually weighed the hay or just going by what you are told or guesstimate? Barns are notorious for short feeding, not usually on purpose but because they don’t weigh anything. Sometimes on purpose to save money…and they are all nice and sweet and really care for your horse. Not.

Im with Lady E, up the alfalfa, lose the junk unless you want to keep spending on it. Your money. Soaked cubes are the best choice in boarding barns, maybe 8 lbs split into 2 feedings a day. Don’t think he needs any concentrates with upping the alfalfa but others feeding alfalfa aa a primary forage add just plain oats in small amounts with active show horses.

I’m a KISS fan in feeding, the fewer things added to a high quality forage based diet, the better and you will have fewer digestive issues.

Soaked alfalfa pellets. (Though I’d check to see how they are formed…binders to keep them in the pellet shape? I don’t know…)

A half pound of black oil sunflower seeds is way too much. One cup a day max or you are throwing off the omega fatty acids. I used to feed three cups and my horses all lost their top line. Things improved when I went down to one cup a day. Some studies are saying BOSS can do some damage to the lining of the small intestines so I may cut them out all together now.