Unlimited access >

Creating "Desire" in New Riders

No, that’s average overall cost including field board and paying for your vet and farrier, plus a lesson. 250-300 for field board, $30 (barefoot)-$90 a month for farrier, and vet $50 a month, plus $60 for one lesson. Puts the total even at the higher end at $500 a month. So, if you padded your budget at $600, that would leave enough money for some tack purchases or extra lessons.

Field board around here almost always includes hay November-March, plus a nighttime grain meal. Farriers charge about $40 a trim, $125 for fronts. If you need all four that would be $200. Vet costs depend on your situation, but most boarding barns around here get every client to use the same vet so there’s no barn call fee and some of them even provide a discount.

So while it’s certainly still expensive, the fees place the cost more in the ballpark of daily dance lessons or daily swim lessons, or a high quality team sport. Heck, the cost of skiing lessons and clubs around here is probably triple per month what I quoted.

2 Likes

In my area 600 is very obtainable for total horse keeping cost. I itemized it above. It includes shoes and there’s enough left over for supplements.

But, I’m also in a sweet zone for horse keeping; it’s warm enough that almost every horse can live on field board, but we also get really nutritious grass April-November. So field board is a usually very financially sound option for boarding barns, since they only need to feed hay 4 months of the year. (Growing up in the PNW, this was not true. You had to feed hay October to June, so field board was almost the same cost as stall board. So it’s very area dependent. Most of the south can get away with a similar field board situation).

In Maryland, VA, NC, and SC (places I’ve lived) $600 could most definitely cover your equine costs for the month. But somewhere like south Florida, San Diego, Seattle, or outside of NYC…. Well $600 might pay your board if you boarded at a backyard farm.

This thread makes me question if I live in some strange twilight zone where my area (MO/ IL) is actually a horse Mecca?

As StormyDay said, you can easily keep a horse in my area (heck I’ll raise her stall board + grain + indoor + trails + jumps/ barrels/ poles + wash rack etc) and have a lesson or two a month for $600 within 30 min of the city. We also have a huge variety of shows - plenty of (very recently added) A shows for the winter, a decent amount of local H/J series for the summer, and a BOAT LOAD of western/ pleasure/ fun/ stock shows (so many that you get your choice between 2-3 places some weekends) so there is certainly something for everyone who wants it. The key, in my opinion, is knowing where/ how to look and/ or ask.

The lesson programs all appear to be doing well, even new programs getting full up rather quickly. Though they all seem to experience a fair amount of client turnover from new riders.

Personally, I would never get into the lesson biz with my own lesson horses - I would only instruct clients on their own horses. It certainly limits my clientele to established riders (as in not new to the sport), but makes the financials work so much better from a business standpoint (no start up cost to buy Mr. Saintly, no monthly feed/ farrier/ shavings bill, no yearly/ semi annual/ quarterly maintenance cost, nothing). I am not currently teaching and have no interest/ ability to do so anytime soon, so who knows if that “business plan” would even be viable unless you (g) are also taking said clients to shows (which, IMO, is a whole other beast).

As for creating desire, I have no idea. I think it’s either there or isn’t. For me it was reading The Black Stallion and my desire to be a jockey that led me to the “next best thing” which was jumping. I was that kid reading ALL of the educational horse books the public library offered, watching videos on YouTube (once it became a thing) on how to do various things, even practicing how to tie a horse because someone gifted me a crappy halter and lead. I don’t think that’s something you can create, it just is or isn’t. (Though I will say, I think it’s something that can be taken away/ beaten out of you (g). I would see it happen with kids who parents were too overbearing when I taught lessons).

4 Likes

I help my trainer with her website and social media and she’s remarked how many people comment on how quickly she responds to them. Coming from a white-collar job, it’s crazy to me that following up on a business lead is not the norm, but so many things in horses are crazy, huh? :rofl: We settled on not having a full rate sheet online (she likes to be flexible, in some cases, depending on the person/horse), but saying “Lessons start at $X for X minutes.”

7 Likes

Regarding competition from other sports, most kids are “social animals,” and like to do what their friends are doing. TBH, I’ve ridden at some barns that I thought were pretty lacking (which is why I left them), but they thrived for awhile simply because a group of kids made it their home base, and the kids liked to hang out and ride with their friends. But there’s a reason there’s a stereotype girls leave horses for boys as teens–if their friends aren’t riding and are doing other activities, that’s what they often want to do.

Even with parents–if they aren’t horsey, they like kids to do stuff that impresses their own friends. Again referencing crappy barns, I know parents who don’t know the difference between winning a blue ribbon at a schooling show and on the A-circuit, and as long as their kids are winning and happy, and that’s their only frame of reference, they don’t care about horsemanship or the kid advancing in the sport after middle or maybe high school.

But it’s much easier to have a child do a sport the child can play in high school, and not only have some of the expenses covered, but also the transportation and logistics. I realize there are some nutty hockey moms and baseball dads. But even if a more traditional sport is being pursued at a high level, on an independent traveling team, a hockey stick will never require a massive vet bill, and a baseball bat won’t need to be sold or leased out after the kid goes to college.

I agree that desire isn’t something we should try to manufacture. It’s a hard, heartbreaking, expensive sport, even for the very wealthy. It’s there or not. I do think it’s a bit sad that kids who have that desire in my area are having more and more limited options, though. Barns that might have had more of a barn rat culture are becoming increasingly show-focused, just to stay solvent, because it’s a source of money, and that requires a more limited range of competitive horses and riders, and professional barn staff.

The barns at the lowest end are backyard barns, and more often use kids as help–but the horsemanship and horse keeping at those barns can be sketchy and discouraging, as can the lessons. It’s not just kids aren’t jumping a certain height. It’s instructors who don’t really know how to teach and help a kid progress, and who don’t have suitable lesson horses for a student to feel encouraged enough to get up to jumping or dressage to a point where they might want to lease or own, if that’s a possibility.

I can only speak about my area, though. I don’t know of any barns charging $650 for board! Even $750 was low, and the last time I was actively pricing stuff was in 2018. Also, if you go for a cheaper barn, you might be sacrificing a needed indoor in winter, an outdoor ring that gets dragged regularly, and even basic blanket changing. In an area with cheaper land and more consistent seasons, I can see how it might be different.

2 Likes

So, I’m a little confused. Is this thread about creating desire in new riders or a gripe that it’s not financially feasible for most programs to keep strings of schoolies capable of jumping 2’6” courses on the regular?

I’ll speak to the first as it seems to me anyone with a lick of experience and basic logic skills can figure out the second.

In my area, I see the following.

There is no problem with creating desire in new riders. Every single lesson program is slap full.

There is a problem with being able to run a profitable business based on maintaining a lesson string and offering “entry level” price points for consumers. Programs either have higher pricing or they cut costs in the “maintaining a lesson string” department.

Horses carry far more financial risk than other sports. Horses get sick. They get injured. They need astronomically priced emergency vet care. Hello, colic surgery. They need retirement; sometimes they need retirement early due to illness and or injury. Baseball bats and pianos don’t carry those financial risks.

Horses are pay to play. Unless you can convince the government to subsidize the training up of all those mustangs into schoolies, the construction of riding centers and their maintenance costs, I doubt the premise of pay to play will change.

8 Likes

I’m actually debating making a side-hustle out of it! I work in digital media and see such a huge opportunity for barns with a solid digital presence — it’s how people communicate, work, and live these days and I think it makes parents that are “new” to the sport more trusting since almost every other business we interact with these days exists online in some form.

1 Like

Maybe the parental units don’t want to spend all day at a show freezing/ sweating/getting rained on/ waiting all day for the kid to fall off at 4 PM!
A Mom once told me she was so happy the horse showing was cheaper than competitive cheerleading!
You either want to ride or not. Maybe you don’t want to show. Maybe you just want to have fun rides with friends or go out West every summer to spend time on a ranch. Not everyone is competitive!
The fun is just not there at shows like it used to be.

4 Likes

Circling back around to the original question.

I don’t see any lack of desire in riders, even at the beginner level. I have kids who would ride every day if they could. Work hard in their lessons, love grooming and helping to take care of the school ponies, long to ride in horse shows. But it is simply not affordable for the vast majority of families.

And it is unreasonable to ask trainers/instructors to lower their fees to make it more affordable. The overhead costs are what they are and not going down. Balancing the budget on the backs of the employees is something that local municipal governments are famous for (been there!) and believe me it doesn’t inspire loyalty and longevity in those who are doing the daily grind.

If the horse industry as a whole sees a need to get more people in the door to feed the system, then the industry needs to support those at the base who are getting these kids started.

11 Likes

When my daughter as a teenage had her summer camp one of the requirements I had was that she was to adjust the cost to ability to pay, some were 100% scholarship students

summer camp

the camp itself was very profitable, booked full each session

2 Likes

That’s awesome.

Did she have a mortgage payment?

8 Likes

Summer camps are almost always extremely profitable. I’ve ran several and it’s a great way to make money, and they usually have a wait list. You can make a whole months’ salary from one week of work. Parents and kids love them. I haven’t been able to offer any since COVID started which really hurt financially.

I have an acquaintance who, up until COVID, only ran camps for her income. She has a string of ponies who do camps every week during the summer season, and then she runs them on thanksgiving, Christmas holiday break, and the local school spring break. She barely had to advertise and frequently had wait lists (especially for the spring break one). The rest of the year she didn’t work.

2 Likes

no, no mortgage but she did make enough as a high school student to pay for most of her college education… her assistant instructors were fellow students… all later became teachers

Most of the horses were ours, several were our kids’ show horses… she arranged a short term lease for one from a freind of hers

Afterwards several riding programs wanted her curriculum which she developed from Morgan Youth activities and Horse Bowl competitions (Morgan and 4H)

Our farm provided the insurance and most of the horses. The program ran for four summers with many returning students. What started as local program by the end she was having students return from several states away.

Our kids grew up with some very competitive horses in our backyard that they showed or rode in competitions nation wide, we strove insure they shared their horses with their friends

2 Likes

We had the room, the equipment and she had the ambition

We have a large old style ranch house (it is 135 feet long) one end of the house we just converted into bunkhouse for the kids who lived far away …we just boarded them. This also allowed those kids to have more time with the horses.

Each day was broken into Horse Work and Book Work… the groups switched after lunch

We are in the middle of the city of a few million so most of the students were locals

2 Likes

I love this with all my heart.

Tbh, I think this is something that is MUCH more manageable than trying to go all in as a true lesson barn. I’m imagining small private barns that have maybe a handful of w/t/c horses available being able to host a short summer introductory horse camp. If kids are local, they don’t even need housing.

The way I see it (through my admittedly rose-colored glasses) kids get to learn about riding and equine husbandry and get an introduction to the horse world and everything it entails. A small, otherwise private, barn gets to make a little cash, without any long term commitment. And since it’s just a week, I bet people would be much more willing to volunteer their time to help wrangle kids, teach beginner lessons, supervise picking stalls, etc. You could probably schedule a veterinarian to float teeth, schedule a farrier to come shoe a horse, etc. If I had a w/t/c safe horse, as a boarder I’d even be willing to loan them out for the week. And on top of that, you could probably start to pick out which kids had “the bug” and which ones were in it just for the novelty factor.

I even wonder if there’s not a space for a third party to facilitate the management of these sorts of things, working with barn owners to plan them and get kids involved.

1 Like

Girl scouts does this. I’m sure other orgs do as well.

4 Likes

At the risk of veering off into political territory, I have to point out…”It’s the economy, stupid.”

NOT that I’m calling anyone here stupid. That’s just the quotation. My point, though, is that a vibrant horse industry requires a vibrant middle class. If we (as a nation) are going to continue to deplete the middle class while propping you an ever-shrinking group of elite billionaires, then we have to expect that our horse industry market will shrink.

Case in point: the post earlier in this thread that it “only” costs $600/month to own a horse. How many people have that much money just floating around looking for a place to be spent? Not many, I’d wager. (Putting aside the fact that it costs me much less than 1/3 that number to maintain an average horse…)

26 Likes

I applaud your daughter’s entrepreneurship. And kudos to making it affordable for those attendees with financial constraints.

But you subsidized this business venture by providing horses, equipment, farm, and even the house. Your daughter is fortunate to have such backing. Most entry level trainers/instructors do not have the luxury of relying on their parents to provide the startup infrastructure for their business, so they must create a fee schedule that covers the cost and upkeep of those essential items.

22 Likes

I get that. But at least in my area, which is extremely affluent and has an absolutely booming middle class, $600 is less than the car payment most people make, less than the gym membership they have. It’s the equivalent to the cost per month they spend on their daily Venti Starbucks and bagel. It’s considerably less than the private dance or music or skiing lessons they pay for, and way, way less than the competitive cheer team their kid is on.

In some areas, places I have lived in, that’s not true. But most of the suburbs surrounding large cities are full of middle to upper middle class families who do have the money to spend on horses. They just choose to spend it elsewhere. And that’s probably for a lot of different reasons, but it is something we need to find an answer to if we want our sport to keep going.

You must be in an extremely affluent area then. That’s more than twice the highest car payment I’ve ever had, and ten times any gym payment I’ve ever made. And $600/month at Starbucks? In what universe? I consider myself to be upper middle class (almost didn’t qualify for a USDA loan on my current property due to my income), and $600 is almost half my mortgage on a house and 10 acres…

15 Likes