Unlimited access >

Cresty neck in a stallion

Would you pass on breeding to a stallion just because he looks overfed and has a cresty neck? Would you be concerned that the offspring of that stallion would have metabolic issues, or would this not be an issue provided you kept said foal/horse on a controlled diet?

Just not sure what the inheritance is on metabolic issues? As I suspect this particular horse is just being really well fed.

Need to see a pic to see if it looks like he’s extra testosterone-cresty, or EMS cresty

I would not breed/breed to an EMS horse.

2 Likes

I’m leaning towards him having EMS. Although I suspect it may be environmental just because of what they are feeding him and the fact he isn’t really in work.

EMS is genetic. It can be brought on, and worsened, by the management (diet, work, etc). There’s a good chance you can prevent a horse from becoming symptomatic by managing him as if he’s IR from the start, but it’s never a guarantee.

Depends on the breed. Some breeds the studs are so cresty and jowly it’s just silly. I’d look at the rest of the stud’s body and face. And his breed.