Unlimited access >

Crockpot Recipes for Nights When You Ride

Easy Taco Soup:

Double all ingredients if needed for larger families or lots of guests.

1 lb Hamburger meat
1 med/large Onion (I like lots of onions so I use a large)
1 can Black Beans
1 can White Shoepeg Corn (this really is the best kind to use)
1 can Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes (we use our own canned tomatoes from our garden)
1 large jar Salsa (I like WalMart’s Black Bean and White Corn Salsa)
1 envelope Taco Seasoning (use your favorite brand)
1 envelope Ranch Dressing mix

Chop onion, add to hamburger meat and cook until done. Drain meat. Add all ingredients to crockpot and simmer on low or medium for several hours. Serve with tortilla chips, fresh chopped onions, shredded cheese and sour cream.

You can also make this in a large soup pot or dutch oven and serve it immediately after it’s heated through. But it is best to let it simmer for a couple of hours to let the flavors blend. Very easy, very filling, and wonderful on a chilly fall/winter evening.

Not that I don’t appreciate a good hunk of meat with “cream of” soups, but I’m cringing that that’s what 90% of the suggestions here are recommending. How…healthy. And diverse.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ is, IMO, the best crock pot blog on the 'net. The chick does all sorts of interesting stuff in her crock pot–fish, banana bread, fruits and veggies, you name it she does it.

If you’re looking to bring more veg into your diet, I also highly recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Vegetarian-Slow-Cooker-Recipes/dp/1558322566/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289637211&sr=8-1

Finally, the one thing crock pots don’t do well is pasta, so I have expanded my crock pot’s diversity by investing in a Fasta Pasta. It’s a microwave gadget that makes up to 4 servings of pasta in 12 to 15 minutes. I throw some pasta in the Fasta Pasta as soon as I get home, and by the time I’m done powdering my nose and taking out plates etc., the pasta is ready for my crock pot creation. This allows me to make tuna casserole, noodle soups, mac and cheese, mock lasagna, etc. on crock pot nights.

I see it is time to blow the dust off of my crock pot! Thank you so much for posting these!

And just to keep it horse related:
Warm Barnyard Beet Pulp
Place beet pulp in crock pot
Add hot water
Cook on low or high depending on how much time you have
Unplug crock pot, wrap in a towel and bring to the barn
Once there, plug into an electrical outlet, turn on low setting
Saddle up, ride, untack, cool out horsie
Dish up the beet pulp!

It doesn’t get any easier (or yummier) than this!

In crock pot:

Stew meat OR cubed pork OR boneless skinless chicken thighs.

Cover with salsa verde (any brand will do) and a little (about 2/3 cup) chicken broth. More salsa/broth if you are using more meat/cooking for a family.

That’s IT!!! Cook all day on low or 4 hours on high.

Serve with tortillas or over rice (can use rice cooker with timer so everything is waiting for you).

We never get tired of this one and it’s SO easy.
I also go to the barn after work and any dinner shortcuts are invaluable.

I made this one today in the Crock Pot. After riding and raking leaves…I ate my soup and it was good! I had it with a piece of left over chicken and some homemade sourdough bread. Yum!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Butternut-Squash-Soup-II/Detail.aspx

[QUOTE=Dapples7;5213284]
This recipe for crockpot chicken and dumplings is one of my favorites:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-and-dumplings/Detail.aspx

If you use chicken cutlets instead of halved breasts, it can easily be done in 4 hours instead of 5-6. I like to use cream of celery soup instead of cream of chicken, and I add a tiny bit of sage too. It’s SO good.[/QUOTE]

I will have to try this one!

[QUOTE=jn4jenny;5220525]
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ is, IMO, the best crock pot blog on the 'net. The chick does all sorts of interesting stuff in her crock pot–fish, banana bread, fruits and veggies, you name it she does it.[/QUOTE]

I was about to recommend her blog, it really is excellent!

Check out the Bear Creek soup mixes. They take 10-15 minutes stovetop but can also be done in a slow cooker. Put mix in the cooker, add water, and maybe “kick it up a notch” with additional ingredients.

A can of beef stock substituted for some of the water enhances the flavor of the veggie-beef soup or minestroni. Use chicken stock for the chicken noodle soup.

Frozen fish or a can of clams and a small can of corn turns the potato soup into a chowder.

A little frozen broccoli enhances the cheddar-broccoli soup.

A package makes a half-gallon, costs $3.75 at our local WalMart, and the flavors get better when reheated for the second or third time around. Smaller package sizes are available at some stores.

1 Like

going to have to start using the old crock pot more!

www.iasa.arabiansinsport.org

you all have me dusting my crockpot off as well, some great recipes. I love to grill when I am done in the barn but this time of year can’t do it as much.

This one is really good, and so easy! It needs to cook all day, though. You will need to adjust to get the servings you need.
1 bag baby carrots
2 cans new potatoes or some raw new potatoes, washed
1 chuck roast
1 can french onion soup
1 bottle red cooking wine
In a large crockpot:
Put carrots and potatoes in the bottom with roast on top. Pour on the soup and wine.
Cook all day - totally awesome beef burgandy!
You can also do this without the veggies too.

I make this for my daughter and it’s healthy, which is big here.

Depending on how many people you are feeding you may want to double the recipe.

Salsa Verde Chicken

Boneless chicken breasts
1 jar salsa verde
Instant brown rice (or white if you prefer)

Put the chicken and salsa in the crockpot and cook all day on low or a few hours on high.

When done, shred chicken with fork in crockpot.

Pour in instant rice. I admit I don’t measure, I just dump what I think is enough to soak up all the salsa.

Put lid back on and let sit for 10 minutes

Stir again to make sure all rice is ready and then enjoy.

Wow… lots of great suggestions, thanks for the ideas.

I threw one together last night before heading to the barn. Wasn’t sure if it would work but it was pretty good.

3-4 boneless chicken tenders
enough marinade sauce to cover them ( I used an Oy Vey brand)
cooked on low until we came home, maybe 3 hours

I thawed some stir fry veges I had in the freezer and mixed them in with the chicken after pulling it apart. Cooked some rice and we were eating within 20 minutes of coming home. No leftovers!:smiley:

I love this idea! I usually do crock pot stuff all day while I’m at work, but I think some of these suggestions will be perfect for those 1-2 hours when I’m at the farm after work… Thanks!

[QUOTE=Scan&Shelby;5222531]
Wow… lots of great suggestions, thanks for the ideas.

I threw one together last night before heading to the barn. Wasn’t sure if it would work but it was pretty good.

3-4 boneless chicken tenders
enough marinade sauce to cover them ( I used an Oy Vey brand)
cooked on low until we came home, maybe 3 hours

I thawed some stir fry veges I had in the freezer and mixed them in with the chicken after pulling it apart. Cooked some rice and we were eating within 20 minutes of coming home. No leftovers!:D[/QUOTE]

Chicken tossed in the crock with anything saucy almost uniformly turns out well for us! Our favorites are chicken with salsa and chicken with BBQ sauce. Crock pots really are lifesavers when it comes to dinner on those crazy nights. :slight_smile:

One of my favorites for the kids is Crockpot BBQ Chicken. Goes GREAT with fresh veggies on the side too.

BBQ Chicken:
4-5 Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (whatever fits easily in the bottom of the crockpot really)
1 bottle of Jack Danielsl BBQ sauce (you can use other kinds, but this stuff is AMAZING)

Put the frozen (or fresh really, I just always have frozen handy) chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot. Cover completely with the bottle of BBQ sauce. Thats IT. Cook on low for 8hrs then shred with fork. Great over just about ANYTHING, or even just alone with veggies (fresh, for speed lol). You can cook it on high for about 3-4 hrs too, works just as well.

[QUOTE=Dapples7;5213284]
This recipe for crockpot chicken and dumplings is one of my favorites:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/slow-cooker-chicken-and-dumplings/Detail.aspx

If you use chicken cutlets instead of halved breasts, it can easily be done in 4 hours instead of 5-6. I like to use cream of celery soup instead of cream of chicken, and I add a tiny bit of sage too. It’s SO good.[/QUOTE]

Made this tonight and yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! I used cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth instead of water and used reduced fat biscuits. Also added the sage and some poultry seasoning. Instead of chicken breasts I used chicken tenders so it cooked really fast!

Crock Pot Fajitas

4 chicken breasts
1 bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 packet fajita seasoning

Put all ingredients in crock pot on high for 4ish hours, serve with tortilla, cheese, lettuce…whatever you like!

That chicken taco soup sounds great! What kind of beer do you use in it? We usually have Guinness and Killians in the house, I wonder if one of those would work?

[QUOTE=Tap2Tango;5222930]
Made this tonight and yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! I used cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth instead of water and used reduced fat biscuits. Also added the sage and some poultry seasoning. Instead of chicken breasts I used chicken tenders so it cooked really fast![/QUOTE]

I made it too…added pepper, garlic and poultry seasoning to mine to jazz it up being a tad bland. Lacking canned biscuits in the fridge I made cheese biscuits (with double the cheddar called for)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cheese-Drop-Biscuits/Detail.aspx
and plopped them on top to cook. Hubby and kids approved!