Unlimited access >

Crockpot Recipes for Nights When You Ride

Ground chicken or turkey
Colourful variety of vegetables
4L V8 juice
cracked black pepper

Stick it all in the crock pot, only takes a few hours. I usually use whatever fresh vegetables are in season, I love it in the Fall, I will usually use at least one nice squash cut into cubes along with kohlrabi and turnips. I have also thrown in pickled banana peppers.

This recipe is BETTER if you brown the ground meat in a non-stick pan and drain it then put it in the crock pot, but it works if you just put it all in. v8 comes in a low-sodium variety as well, if you are concerned about sodium.

I make Chili in my crockpot all the time. Whatever you make, I can NOT stress this enough!!

http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/en/product.asp?cat_id=1337&prod_id=3200

The Reynolds Slow Cooker liners are worth their weight in gold. NO real clean up if you use them!! Can NOT recommend them enough!

Oh and don’t forget the old standby of chicken caccitori…

Chicken breasts, boneless
Spaghetti sauce
Bit or red wine
Mushrooms

Shred chicken with fork and pour over pasta.

[QUOTE=PebblesNana;5213278]
Love this one! I was not sure about the combination until I tried it.

*4-6 Pork chops
*Can of Cheddar Cheese soup
*Can of French Onion soup.

Yummmmmy![/QUOTE]

Tried this the other night… YUMMY and the hubby and kids LOVED it!!!

Horse-Loverz or PebblesNana - how long do you cook that one for? Sounds yum!

“Rotisserie” chicken (in crockpot)

I have a jar in my cupboard marked “Chicken Spice” which contains a super-batch (as in, 16 times the recipe or so) of this:

Ingredients:
4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 apple or 1 onion, quartered
1 (4 pound-ish) whole chicken

Ideally, you rinse the chicken, take out the organs, cover with this spice mix (the outside skin and in the cavity, if you want to go all-out) and put it in the fridge overnight. (I don’t think I use a full 10 1/2 tsp. of the spice mix per chicken; I just shake it on until the chicken is covered.)

Although I have also just thrown the spice on just before cooking the chicken, and it still worked out. It’s just yummier when the spice has time to soak in.

Then when you’re ready to go ride, you put the chicken in your crockpot, stick apples or onions into the cavity and cook it on “high” for about 4 hours.

The carcass can then be used to make a pretty decent soup, also in the crock pot.

You can also do pork roast, beef roast, or whole chicken in your crock pot.

Beef roast: Season meat (salt, pepper, garlic salt, whatever), toss in some potatoes, celery, and a carrot or two and walk away. Add a packet of french onion soup mix for extra flavor, if you’re so inclined. It will make its own gravy.

Pork roast: Season your pork. Add with slivered apples, onion, sauerkraut, and walk away. Or if you’re into bbq pulled pork, omit the apples and kraut, and add your favorite bbq sauce later.

Chicken: Thaw and rinse your whole bird. Season liberally. Stuff some celery in the cavity, stuff it the crock pot, and go do your thing.

The good thing about pot roast and chicken is the leftovers are versatile. Leftover roast can become bbq beef sandwiches or stew. Leftover chicken can become chicken salad, casserole, chicken and dumplings, etc.

Word of caution: When cooking meats that contain bones in a crockpot (i.e. pork chops), particularly to “fall off the bone” doneness, it’s best to strain out your liquid before adding a thickening agent or any type of cream soup. Otherwise, you may end up with small bone chards in your food.

I think I posted this one before but we love it !!

Chicken breast
Green pepper
Vidalia Onion
2-3 cans of Basil oregano garlic tomatoes
1 can of water
1- chicken boullion cube
salt & Pepper

I always add more Italian seasoning too

Cook all day and when you get home boil some egg noodles and I top with some Mozz. cheese !!

I also make the same variation with a chuck roast but I leave out the cheese for this one :slight_smile:

I picked this one up from a friend.

Sweet potatoes - peeled, sliced.
Red onions - sliced, separated into rings
Skinless chicken - I use breasts for convenience
Your favorite bbq sauce.

Put potatoes in bottom of crock pot. Drizzle w/ a bit of bbq. Onions next, then chicken, then a bit more bbq. I cooked a small quantity on low for an afternoon (4 hours?) - 2 potatoes, an onion and 2 breasts.

It’s tasty and healthy. I would imagine that a pot-full would take longer.

There was enough moisture in all the ingredients that I didn’t need to add water (and the friend who suggested this to me didn’t mention water either.)

[QUOTE=Haalter;5223626]
Horse-Loverz or PebblesNana - how long do you cook that one for? Sounds yum![/QUOTE]

I put it in before I went to bed for the day and it was done when I woke up so… 6 hrs on low with thick chops but it was probably done way sooner

Y’all are making me sooooooooo hungry.:lol:

Not crockpot, but to most any kind of regular, not creamy soup, you can add a small low sodium can of V8 and it makes the soup much tastier.
You can add the same to any rice, pasta, TV dinner, most anything out there just for a little bit more taste.

This way, you can eat practically immediately after riding, if you forgot to plug in your crockpot.:wink:

For whoever said using canned food is not that healthy, I say, nothing is healthy if that is the only food you eat.

Sure, try to eat a little bit of everything and all in moderation, even canned or crockpot or any other.:slight_smile:

Thank God for the crockpot!! I have the same routine as many here…race home from work, change, grab dogs and off to farm. Crockpot is the only way I eat proper food during the week!

I make a quick Hungarian Goulash that is really good:

Dredge cubed beef in flour and paprika then brown with some onion.

Throw in pot with tall can of Hunts tomatoe sauce and leave on high. Go ride.

Come home, cook some egg noodles, throw some yogurt or sour cream in crockpot and serve over noodles.

Simple but hearty and tasty.

I have a crazy dr appt, vet appt week, so last night I cooked this one:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/09/moroccan-lentil-soup-crockpot-recipe.html

never made it before, but the house smells yummy. I taste tested it this morning and yumm, can’t wait for dinner!

I can see myself adding some beef or chicken to it for an all-inclusive meal.

Oops one of my favorites is also slow-cooker chili.

Pretty much like this one: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Chili-II/Detail.aspx

but with more beef, more beans, cumin, and more of all the spices listed… yum that sucker lasts the 2 of us 4 days at least of dinner and lunch. Its one of our favorite winter recipes.

My favorite in the crockpot is chili. I also love pork tenderloin in the crock. I just got a recipe book that has a section on crockpot soups. I love soup in the winter. We’re going to try a new soup every week!

Love some of these ideas - the chicken taco soup is definitely one to try.

First off: THANK U,MODS! < for leaving this thread open :winkgrin:

Really, it is horse-related trying to figure out how to eat decently & still ride!

I am an A.M. Crockpotter - just throw it all in after feeding & before leaving for work.

Whoever posted about the beef roast with pickles: out here in Hoosierland we call that Eye-Talian Beef & do it with a jar of pepperoncini. Most of the heat cooks out of the peppers but you may want to use mild if you don’t like some hot to your beef.
Just dee-lish : 9

If anyone has had success doing BBQ ribs in the crockpot I’d like to know how.
Mine always come out too dry or greasy :no:

now I need to print this thread and the links to the recipes :smiley:

I am vegan, so this may not appeal to all of you, but the DH LOVES IT (and he eats everything)

xtra firm tofu, cubed. put it in the bottom
cover with peas, carrot, corn, etc (sugar snap peas!)
dump on: premade vindaloo sauce OR
can coconut milk, can tomato sauce, curry powder, a little cayenne.

Serve over rice, or with naan.

I have made this with pumpkin and butternut squash instead of tofu also. YUMMY!

[QUOTE=Alterrain;5224827]
I am vegan, so this may not appeal to all of you, but the DH LOVES IT (and he eats everything)

xtra firm tofu, cubed. put it in the bottom
cover with peas, carrot, corn, etc (sugar snap peas!)
dump on: premade vindaloo sauce OR
can coconut milk, can tomato sauce, curry powder, a little cayenne.

Serve over rice, or with naan.

I have made this with pumpkin and butternut squash instead of tofu also. YUMMY![/QUOTE]

Do you saute the tofu first, or just throw it in? Indian food…yummy!

I tried the cheddar cheese & cream of chicken soups with the chicken and its looking amazing. I tried a bite and YUM. Cant’ decide if I should put it over noodles or white rice…hmmm

Ok, I am a paranoid, crazy person. Is there a danger of having the slow cooker on all day while you are away? I am always so scared to come home to a burned down house (I don’t run the dryer when I’m away because of that) and thusly, have a beautiful slow cooker that I only use on weekends when I am already home all day which seems to defeat the advertised purpose. Any thoughts on the risk? Or am I being stupid as I have no qualms about going out and sitting on the back of 1200 pounds of flight animal, leaping over large, heavy obstacles at decently high rates of speed but I’m scared of the crock pot? (see? I made it horse-related).