Cross country fall- now what?

Hi all, struggling a bit to understand a cross country fall recently and where I go from here. Horse has been generally doing great- good energy level, sound, jumping well (we jump about once a week in a lesson), we did a novice event recently and he felt very willing. Fast forward a few weeks and we went out with a friend and schooled some cross country jumps. 3rd jump in- a small stone wall with a log on top and he catches his front legs, falls to his knees on the other side of the jump and I come off. He has some cuts, I have a black eye and whiplash but could have been worse for both of us! It is very unlike him to fall over a jump, he’s usually incredibly careful jumping and I don’t really know where to start figuring out what happened and why… He has felt like he’s sometimes taking a deeper spot to jumps than usual since we started jumping after the winter and is maybe lacking a bit of the energy he used to have (he just turned 12) but it’s not at all consistent, and given a few years ago he used to race around the jumps, I thought it was because he was feeling stronger and more confident. I’m planning to have the vet out, I thought Lyme, which he’s had before though he was irritable when he last had it and isn’t now, and a lameness exam just to see if there’s something maybe sore? He’s never had injections but maybe he needs to? Saddle fitter was out a month ago. I know sometimes horses just make a mistake but not knowing what happened and why just makes me worried it will happen again- my confidence is definitely shaken! Any thoughts welcome!

1 Like

I’m sorry this happened. A lameness overview feels like a really sound step one to see if he’s been getting close to the base to guard something ouchy.

21 Likes

I have some advice for you. Give your body time to heal or you could end up with neck problems.

Until recently my neck hurt every day for over 40 years after I got whiplash from a drunk driver crashing head on into my poor little car.

I hope you and your horse heal soon.

Take care of yourself as well as taking care of your horse.

10 Likes

Start with the assumption that horses absolutely, positively don’t want to fall. Then add in most horses, especially eventers and field hunters, can read a jump as solid and unforgiving. I’ve known multiple horses with indifferent form over rails in cups that get catty and careful over solid stuff.

SOMETHING is going on with your horse, and it is most likely soundness or pain related.

My first step would be to have a competent pro observe him jumping in the ring over gymnastics and single fences. That will point you in the direction you want to go in with your vet.

Other than that first step, don’t jump the horse again until you have some answers.

23 Likes

I would add to this, have the pro do the first jump ride. Fingers crossed this was just a blip for him, but you seem shaken up. You don’t want to compound or confuse any issues he has by riding him nervously or over-defensively. Take the time to get your confidence back, too.

Sending good vibes for you both!

17 Likes

I had a similar incident (in stadium) with my very careful mare this spring. Lameness check showed nothing. A few other things led us to test to EPM, and she tested as a very high positive (1:8000 titer). She’s doing well and recently jumping again after treatment. Just a thought on something else to consider.

5 Likes

Stuff happens. He could have been distracted by something in the background or a deer fly or stepped on a shoe or misread the landing. You get the idea. Having the vet look at him is a really good idea. He could be a bit footy or his hocks or back might need attention and that could contribute to him not making the best effort. Also agree with having someone confident (trainer, friend) be the first to jump him when he is ready. Your horse had a scare and he’ll do best with someone to hold his hand a bit. The confident rider can also give you feedback on how he feels. When you start jumping again, just do small fun things that you really want to jump. Do your due diligence, but try not to over worry. Everybody has oopsies.

7 Likes

Thank you all for the advice! Hoping it was just an oopsie but will have a vet out and have my trainer ride him, if for no other reason than my peace of mind! Fortunately the whiplash didn’t last that long- Jackie_Cochran- so sorry you had to deal with the pain for 40 years!!

3 Likes

Just thought I’d update after having the vet out- she did a neuro test and he looked fine so she thought EPM was unlikely. Flexions showed no lameness but his back did palpate sore- maybe fall related? I got a new jumping saddle about a month ago (amerigo DJ) but only use it once a week and it was fitted to him so hoping that’s not the problem (I love that saddle!), his dressage saddle was also fitted about a month ago but definitely sits heavier on the part of the back that’s sore. She thought kissing spine was unlikely given X-rays were done of his back for the PPE 5 years ago, he has a long back, and the soreness was further back than where she said kissing spine more often occurs. He’s on robaxin for 14 days and we will see where we are then…. Also his right hoof was tender with the hoof tester, most likely due to an overdue shoeing where my farrier’s truck broke down and his feet were a bit of a mess by the time he made it out. Also the trails around here are fairly rocky so we will put pads on. Not sure if either issue would have caused him to fall over a jump but at least I have some next steps to make him more comfortable! Now to get my trainer to jump him… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Long backs don’t mean no KS, IME. And they tend toward back soreness in general. Also, my KS horse has the worst pain behind the saddle and into the lumbar area, despite the “worse” processes being just behind the withers and under the stirrup bars.

I’m not saying your horse has KS. While KS and other back issues can show up over 5 years, with clear films in the past I’d likely assume that the deteriorating jumping form + back soreness might be saddle related or something going on in the hind end that’s radiating up. For example, poor hoof angles (did you X-ray feet?) or hind suspensory issues can contribute to lower back pain. Or he yanked something like a groin muscle in the fall.

Bad hoof angles and suspensory issues won’t flex. Just something to think about.

2 Likes

A sore foot could definitely make him jump as you described and stumble on landing.

5 Likes

Thanks, that’s helpful to have other reasons to think about for the cause of a sore back. With SI soreness, where he is tracking up well, not bunny hopping in the canter and jumping willingly (minus the fall over a jump!) are there other things to look for? Same for hoof angles? She didn’t xray the hooves to check for bad angles. I think she focused on what she thought was most likely (which my wallet appreciates but definitely means we didn’t cover all the bases! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I saw you already had the vet out but the other thing that strikes me as a possibility would be issues with the cervical spine/neck. Often the best X-rays are taken at a clinic if you can do a haul in. Sure hope you and your horse get a clean bill of health.

2 Likes