Unlimited access >

Cross Country Shipping

Hi there!

I will be shipping my older hunter cross-country this July as I am moving. He is an easy keeper and trailers well but hasn’t gone this far in 10+years. Any suggestions/words of advice on pre/during/post shipping? Should I change his feed, add anything or just leave it be? What about getting back to work when he gets there?

Thanks!

While I have never shipped that far I have shipped to KY and CO fom Eastern NY, and never change anything ahead of time.

Handing and getting back to work after depended on the trip and how the individual horse handled it.

We shipped one in January from SC to CA with Brookledge. We didn’t change anything and she was absolutely fine. I highly recommend them. The mare was 20 and had no issues. I think they shipped to Ocala, rested for a day and then straight to CA. She arrived in CA happy and healthy.

thanks for the replies! Any thoughts on bran mash before or after?

My mare came from Florida (to AZ) at 2.5, and nothing changed beforehand. Her breeder sent her with hay and a bag of grain so we could gradually move her over to locally available hay and grain when she got here.

She was shipped Equine Express, but I wanted someone with air ride and box stalls - and they were one of the few with really, really good reputations. (Brookledge mentioned above was another). She walked off the truck as if she had just driven 2 miles down the road from her former home.