Unlimited access >

Cross training?

[QUOTE=cnm161;8340143]
Dressage rider here, so brace yourself.

The value in dressage isn’t in executing the movements. It’s in being able to fluently move between movements at any gait. Dressage training can build* a rideable horse-- a horse on the aids. Valuable.

Doing shoulder-in and halfpass just for the sake of doing them? Not valuable. Creating suppleness and relaxation in a horse that can easily transition to shoulder-in or halfpass or extensions the very next stride? Valuable.

*caveats apply, because there’s some scary stuff calling itself “dressage”[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I agree. Isn’t that what flatwork is for? Being able to do more then just ride? It’s about quality, suppleness, willingness, and doing it instantly and seamlessly. Maybe I should have been more specific-would you school in a dressage saddle with a dressage trainer in a dressage trainer or could it be done with the internet at home?

No need for a dressage saddle, you can work on the movements in a CC or AP.

If you want to work with a dressage trainer you can, I have in the past, but most of my H/J trainers incorporate ‘dressage’ flat work into our lessons, and I do in my hacks.
If you’re not currently schooling dressage movements, then yes, I would work with a trainer who can assist with your flatwork, better to have eyes on the ground. The internet isn’t a substitute for training.

[QUOTE=roamingnome;8340422]
No need for a dressage saddle, you can work on the movements in a CC or AP.

If you want to work with a dressage trainer you can, I have in the past, but most of my H/J trainers incorporate ‘dressage’ flat work into our lessons, and I do in my hacks.
If you’re not currently schooling dressage movements, then yes, I would work with a trainer who can assist with your flatwork, better to have eyes on the ground. The internet isn’t a substitute for training.[/QUOTE]

k cool I will do that. I know what a CC is, but AP? wat is that?

I don’t think you could do it with the Internet at home. Somebody physically able to execute the movements needs to be there to offer instant feedback or you can make a mess by learning incorrectly which bites down the road. It does not mesh correctly with the aids and other movements and the horse gets confused. So does the rider.

It’s like incomplete sentences, you kind of get the meaning but things are missing. Or that ad with the almost you but not you theme, the beauty queen in the cab of the excavator at a construction site spouting sentence fragments then swinging the bucket around knocking over the port o potties. Know just enough to get yourself into trouble.

Hope that makes sense. Somebody has to know what they are doing to teach a horse that doesn’t know and a rider that doesn’t know.

AP is an All Purpose saddle used by Eventers.

[QUOTE=findeight;8340460]
I don’t think you could do it with the Internet at home. Somebody physically able to execute the movements needs to be there to offer instant feedback or you can make a mess by learning incorrectly which bites down the road. It does not mesh correctly with the aids and other movements and the horse gets confused. So does the rider.

It’s like incomplete sentences, you kind of get the meaning but things are missing. Or that ad with the almost you but not you theme, the beauty queen in the cab of the excavator at a construction site spouting sentence fragments then swinging the bucket around knocking over the port o potties. Know just enough to get yourself into trouble.

Hope that makes sense. Somebody has to know what they are doing to teach a horse that doesn’t know and a rider that doesn’t know.

AP is an All Purpose saddle used by Eventers.[/QUOTE]

Yah, it does. I feel like I should have known what AP is, but I know now.

[QUOTE=findeight;8340460]

AP is an All Purpose saddle used by Eventers.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Part of the reason dressage gets a bad rap is because it’s easy to talk the talk, which makes for lots of armchair experts. What distinguishes a good trainer from a crappy one is their understanding of (and ability to teach) correct timing, not their ability to chat on the Internet.

Your brain will lie to you re: straightness and position. That’s why even the best dressage riders in the world continue to take lessons. Highly recommend a trainer vs. reading alone (although those aren’t mutually exclusive options).

Er, no eventer I know uses an all purpose saddle. We call them “no purpose” :smiley:

Carry on with your regularly scheduled conversation. For what it’s worth, I also agree that working with a good dressage trainer can greatly benefit your feel, timing, and connection, and your horse’s strength, suppleness, and rideability.

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8340412]
Honestly, I agree. Isn’t that what flatwork is for? Being able to do more then just ride? It’s about quality, suppleness, willingness, and doing it instantly and seamlessly. Maybe I should have been more specific-would you school in a dressage saddle with a dressage trainer in a dressage trainer or could it be done with the internet at home?[/QUOTE]

Since you wrote that you previously did Dressage for 10 years before your current foray into Jumpers, why not contact your old trainer for lessons? I find it much more useful to have my trainer ringside because she can explain exercises more clearly, provide instant feedback, and hop on my horse if the need arises.

[QUOTE=SugarRush;8341039]
Since you wrote that you previously did Dressage for 10 years before your current foray into Jumpers, why not contact your old trainer for lessons? I find it much more useful to have my trainer ringside because she can explain exercises more clearly, provide instant feedback, and hop on my horse if the need arises.[/QUOTE]

I would love to, but there is two problems-she is dead, and lived in MA. That is where I am originally from.

Yes, of course dressage will help IF performed correctly. Find a good trainer and go. Most of the top jumpers incorporate dressage to ensure their horses are strong, supple, and responsive.

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8341176]
I would love to, but there is two problems-she is dead, and lived in MA. That is where I am originally from.[/QUOTE]

I thought you had been in Oregon for quite a few years from your past posts, showing Ponies and Children’s (Hunters?) before you bought the Jumper and moved to Arkansas? And you are still young? Remember we only know what you tell us

[QUOTE=findeight;8341277]
I thought you had been in Oregon for quite a few years from your past posts, showing Ponies and Children’s (Hunters?) before you bought the Jumper and moved to Arkansas? And you are still young? Remember we only know what you tell us[/QUOTE]

She’s said before that she was 18.

[QUOTE=findeight;8341277]
I thought you had been in Oregon for quite a few years from your past posts, showing Ponies and Children’s (Hunters?) before you bought the Jumper and moved to Arkansas? And you are still young? Remember we only know what you tell us[/QUOTE]

I was born and raised in MA, where I did dressage, then I moved to Oregon for about 5 years, where I did hunters, then I moved here and am doing jumpers. I like to think I am still young, I am in my late teens.

Ok, so dressage lessons from age 3-13 (unless you’re not 18, maybe 17? then you started at 2) and your 6 yo (or is he 8 now?) was born the same year you began taking lessons- so that would make him actually 15?

Of course, you did want to start a club at your school so you could miss days for horse shows, but since you won’t be showing (or even riding) for 6 months as of January, if you’re 18 you’d be graduating in the spring, so no need for a team who’s foundation is meant to allow you to skip school.
Unless you’re in college? But then you wouldn’t need a team to let you skip school, you’d just not show up for class…

[QUOTE=roamingnome;8341603]
Ok, so dressage lessons from age 3-13 (unless you’re not 18, maybe 17? then you started at 2) and your 6 yo (or is he 8 now?) was born the same year you began taking lessons- so that would make him actually 15?

Of course, you did want to start a club at your school so you could miss days for horse shows, but since you won’t be showing (or even riding) for 6 months as of January, if you’re 18 you’d be graduating in the spring, so no need for a team who’s foundation is meant to allow you to skip school.
Unless you’re in college? But then you wouldn’t need a team to let you skip school, you’d just not show up for class…[/QUOTE]

Getting off topic, but I didn’t start lesson until 10ish y/o, only rode old plodders, and as someone else pointed out a while ago that was not really riding. He is 7 according to his papers, 8 to the seller, and six to the vet (or one of them), so you can take your pick on ages. I will just say 7 from now on to help with confusion, as that is what his papers say. My school refused the club thing, so that’s out, and yes I would miss the whole thing anyways. I hadn’t thought about that.

Ok, but you rode with a dressage trainer for 10 years in MA, and 5 years of hunters in OR, but as a ‘late teen’ you’re max 19 years old.

19-5-10= 4 years old. But you say 10.

People come to this board for advice, and to give advice, but can’t help you if you keep changing your story (and really, won’t want to, since nothing adds up)

[QUOTE=roamingnome;8341664]
Ok, but you rode with a dressage trainer for 10 years in MA, and 5 years of hunters in OR, but as a ‘late teen’ you’re max 19 years old.

19-5-10= 4 years old. But you say 10.

People come to this board for advice, and to give advice, but can’t help you if you keep changing your story (and really, won’t want to, since nothing adds up)[/QUOTE]

ummm… where did I say I was with a trainer there for 10 years? I rode dressage style for 10 years, but with a dressage trainer for only 3ish years. Better?

[QUOTE=fishjumper;8341688]
ummm… where did I say I was with a trainer there for 10 years? I rode dressage style for 10 years, but with a dressage trainer for only 3ish years. Better?[/QUOTE]

No, if you weren’t training Dressage with a Dressage trainer, you can’t really say you were riding Dressage “style.” That’s like me owning a bucker and saying I rode bronc-style…or going on trail rides and saying I do Endurance. But you rode Dressagy-like for ten years so you can relate.

From newest started thread (sorry, I am a horrible re-quoter):
“What is the strangest coincidence about you and your horse? For example-My horse was born the same year I started lessoning, and broken the year I moved to his barn.”

Re-Quote from “Moving Up”
“I own a very scopey but young and green horse, and have only been riding him for about two years now. We just had our first show and have another in 4 days, but I am worried about pushing him to hard. Currently we are showing at .95 meters, but schooling at 1.15 meters. He is handling it extremely well, but how fast is too fast? He is 6 y/o, but a warmblood. We are planning on moving up to 1.15 next year. Will he be developed enough at that point? Would 4 shows be to many? He has never been lame, is under the care of a very skilled vet and farrier, but as you can probably tell I worry about him. Am I just being paranoid? He has 1.60 scope, but how long would you take to go up the levels?”

Repost from “New horse–help!”
“so i recently purchased a warmblood holsteiner cross recently, he is 17 hh and super sweet. Both his parents are grand prix horses, and he moves beautifully. I want to do grand prix as well, but i dont know if he can. He can comfortably jump like 7 feet free jumping, and do a 12 jump course at 6 feet, and his lead changes are spot on. Could he do grand prix?!? He is 8 by the way”

This is why we have trouble taking you seriously. All of these posts contain different information. Your horse is 6, your horse is 8, your horse is over 10 because that’s how long you’ve been riding. Every post you make is a new “story.” I would follow up and ask where your trainer was out of (because I have lived in MA my whole life), but your story is about to change again.

[QUOTE=SugarRush;8341733]
No, if you weren’t training Dressage with a Dressage trainer, you can’t really say you were riding Dressage “style.” That’s like me owning a bucker and saying I rode bronc-style…or going on trail rides and saying I do Endurance. But you rode Dressagy-like for ten years so you can relate.

From newest started thread (sorry, I am a horrible re-quoter):
“What is the strangest coincidence about you and your horse? For example-My horse was born the same year I started lessoning, and broken the year I moved to his barn.”

Re-Quote from “Moving Up”
“I own a very scopey but young and green horse, and have only been riding him for about two years now. We just had our first show and have another in 4 days, but I am worried about pushing him to hard. Currently we are showing at .95 meters, but schooling at 1.15 meters. He is handling it extremely well, but how fast is too fast? He is 6 y/o, but a warmblood. We are planning on moving up to 1.15 next year. Will he be developed enough at that point? Would 4 shows be to many? He has never been lame, is under the care of a very skilled vet and farrier, but as you can probably tell I worry about him. Am I just being paranoid? He has 1.60 scope, but how long would you take to go up the levels?”

Repost from “New horse–help!”
“so i recently purchased a warmblood holsteiner cross recently, he is 17 hh and super sweet. Both his parents are grand prix horses, and he moves beautifully. I want to do grand prix as well, but i dont know if he can. He can comfortably jump like 7 feet free jumping, and do a 12 jump course at 6 feet, and his lead changes are spot on. Could he do grand prix?!? He is 8 by the way”

This is why we have trouble taking you seriously. All of these posts contain different information. Your horse is 6, your horse is 8, your horse is over 10 because that’s how long you’ve been riding. Every post you make is a new “story.” I would follow up and ask where your trainer was out of (because I have lived in MA my whole life), but your story is about to change again.[/QUOTE]

oohhh really?! Where in MA are you? I rode at a barn called Driftway Meadows, In Westport

Also posted the current horse that they bought earlier this year spooked at a dancing child bucked her off causing 4 broken ribs, concussion, torn MCL (IIRC), something else and spine/neck injurues she’s having major surgery for “in a couple of weeks” and 8 (yes 8) neurosurgeons told her not to ride. That’s over on Off Course on the Doctors and Horse people thread. Other posts have repeatedly said the surgery is next year.

Despite the drama she has been getting good advice.