Unlimited access >

CROSSPOSTED: tricky leg protection - recommendations please!

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;8928568]

My current favorite everyday boots are by Le mieux. I got them in England…these are them. http://www.equestrian.com/p/brushing-boots/lemieux-mesh-brushing-boots/1209/[/QUOTE]

That’s nice to hear - I just ordered a pair this morning as I thought they looked worth a try.

[QUOTE=Blugal;8928630]
That’s nice to hear - I just ordered a pair this morning as I thought they looked worth a try.[/QUOTE]

I like them. I have the brown ones and then some white ones (which I haven’t used yet).

[QUOTE=bfraser;8925019]
He has to have hind shoes, so going barefoot or with just fronts is not an option and since we are located in NH studs are a necessity). [/QUOTE]

So I have a question: why are the studs a necessity? Winter?

[QUOTE=devvie;8928775]
So I have a question: why are the studs a necessity? Winter?[/QUOTE]

Snow and ice.

Sheepskin or fleece lined boots. The fluff won’t let sand in like a smooth surface will. If that doesn’t work, a cut off long sock (like a boot sock) under the boot will keep sand out.

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;8928785]
Snow and ice.[/QUOTE]

Debatable though? There are many shod horses in the north that do without.

[QUOTE=devvie;8929194]
Debatable though? There are many shod horses in the north that do without.[/QUOTE]

And I know many who do not do well without. I have a few in my barn who need ice nails in the winter and I have others who are fine without. It is about knowing your own horse, farm and what is needed depending on a lot of facts.

Just like I have horses who do not need boots for turn out…and others who will cripple themselves if you turn them out without boots.

[QUOTE=Dutchmare433;8926133]
I guess the first question depends on the size of your horse–I prefer the 12’ saratogas. The climatex liners with saratogas will a) last longer than the combo wraps and b) give more protection. (Saratoga bandages are quite a bit thicker and sturdier than the outside of the combo bandage.) The only problem with the climatex liners is that a sharp stud might make its way through? That’s why I suggested the Porters. Might as well try the climatex if you have them though![/QUOTE]

Okay, perfect! He’s thin boned 16hh, so I’ll see if the 12’ fit better (over porters).

I know you want boot suggestions but your description is raising a lot of flags…

Can you post pictures of the horse and his feet?

Why is he interfering, and what is your farrier doing to offset that? What type of stud and shoe arrangement is he using? Why are the horse’s studs being filed into points with work?

IME, the studs should, with normal wear, be dulled - not sharpened.

With winter shoes, why not just convert to snowpads and the ‘eventer shoes’? Those are the shoes that have an outer ‘rim’ along the center of the shoe and acts like small ‘cleats’. Best option for a horse that needs shoes behind in winter, that way you are not running the risk of him degloving himself or god forbid, kicking and killing another horse with the boriums. Which can and does happen.

I would be getting rid of the studs, honestly – and ASAP. It’s a lot of unbalance for a horse to stand in 24/7, especially in a stall - boriums are a necessary evil for shod horses in the north but many of them at least live out and get to move out of the stiffness. Boriums are also typically small, and very flat, and are placed at a different part of the hoof than the studs. If you have to do something I would do the rim shoes or the small ice ‘nails’ - they are much safer and are tiny and less likely to negatively impact the horse. Living in studs is incredibly dangerous too; not just for your horse but any horse that is turned out with him. One kick will kill the other horse.

I would seriously reconsider the need to have hind studs year round, which is what I got from your post. It is probably contributing to more problems than it’s fixing. There is a definite link between hind studs and gait asymmetry especially in the range of motion behind/SI/pelvis, and IME horses that live in studs (and not small ice-boriums) full-time get sore quickly.

In the interim, the cheapo Dover boots that are fleece lined are great for sensitive horses and they don’t hold sand - but they will hold water. We have nothing BUT sensitive skinned TBs and they do fine with this arrangement. I prefer the Eskadron climatex for leg protection during work but if you’re riding with studs you absolutely have to have some sort of hard shell.

[QUOTE=devvie;8929194]
Debatable though? There are many shod horses in the north that do without.[/QUOTE]

I’ve always had my horses shod with studs in the winter, better for the extra traction in turnout and any winter hacks. I live in NH so it’s just a bunch of snow and ice. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=beowulf;8929293]
I know you want boot suggestions but your description is raising a lot of flags…

Can you post pictures of the horse and his feet?

Why is he interfering, and what is your farrier doing to offset that? What type of stud and shoe arrangement is he using? Why are the horse’s studs being filed into points with work?

IME, the studs should, with normal wear, be dulled - not sharpened.

With winter shoes, why not just convert to snowpads and the ‘eventer shoes’? Those are the shoes that have an outer ‘rim’ along the center of the shoe and acts like small ‘cleats’. Best option for a horse that needs shoes behind in winter, that way you are not running the risk of him degloving himself or god forbid, kicking and killing another horse with the boriums. Which can and does happen.

I would be getting rid of the studs, honestly – and ASAP. It’s a lot of unbalance for a horse to stand in 24/7, especially in a stall - boriums are a necessary evil for shod horses in the north but many of them at least live out and get to move out of the stiffness. Boriums are also typically small, and very flat, and are placed at a different part of the hoof than the studs. If you have to do something I would do the rim shoes or the small ice ‘nails’ - they are much safer and are tiny and less likely to negatively impact the horse. Living in studs is incredibly dangerous too; not just for your horse but any horse that is turned out with him. One kick will kill the other horse.

I would seriously reconsider the need to have hind studs year round, which is what I got from your post. It is probably contributing to more problems than it’s fixing. There is a definite link between hind studs and gait asymmetry especially in the range of motion behind/SI/pelvis, and IME horses that live in studs (and not small ice-boriums) full-time get sore quickly.

In the interim, the cheapo Dover boots that are fleece lined are great for sensitive horses and they don’t hold sand - but they will hold water. We have nothing BUT sensitive skinned TBs and they do fine with this arrangement. I prefer the Eskadron climatex for leg protection during work but if you’re riding with studs you absolutely have to have some sort of hard shell.[/QUOTE]

I explained myself poorly. He does get borium in the winter. I didn’t realize the winter “studs” were called borium. The “filing” is happening from his movement (he puts a lot of wear on the hind legs). He gets the hinds squared with equipacks. I don’t have any good pictures of his hind on my phone at the moment. I can post that later.

Agreement with Beowulf, who said it better. I was scratching my head at the idea of studs getting sharp/studs being used at all in winter. Ours at the farm get a bit of borium if shoes aren’t being pulled, and snow pads, and do just fine on the ice. I definitely don’t miss the days before snow pads came along.

Kentucky Horseware Boots makes a special sock for under boots to prevent rubs exactly for horses of this type.

I use the fleece lined Heidi boots or I use the Dover knock off version. My thin skinned grey did all his work in them and he would rub from everything unless it was lined in sheepskin or fleece.

I used the Roma Open front boots that are fleece lined work well. Not the regular ones that are neoprene lined. They didn’t rub and they were easy to keep clean with a hose. We have clay here and quite sandy footing outside the ring and no issues with rubs.

Plain shoes and ice = skating. Barefoot horses get decent traction in ice (snow isn’t the problem, but when it packs down, it’s icy and very slippery). But if they wear metal shoes they need added traction of tiny drive in studs(these are about an eight of an inch in diameter - like a nailhead, not a stud like we use for crosscountry), borium dobs or ice nails.

From your description again, I would be cautious about using saratogas or any other fabric type of boot - you do not want him snagging himself in a way that he gets stuck in the wrap! A boot, and it sounds like sheepskin lined might be your answer, with a slick and hard strike plate would protect him more safely.

[QUOTE=Hilary;8932377]
Plain shoes and ice = skating. Barefoot horses get decent traction in ice (snow isn’t the problem, but when it packs down, it’s icy and very slippery). But if they wear metal shoes they need added traction of tiny drive in studs(these are about an eight of an inch in diameter - like a nailhead, not a stud like we use for crosscountry), borium dobs or ice nails.

From your description again, I would be cautious about using saratogas or any other fabric type of boot - you do not want him snagging himself in a way that he gets stuck in the wrap! A boot, and it sounds like sheepskin lined might be your answer, with a slick and hard strike plate would protect him more safely.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice! That’s definitely a good point about potentially snagging the wrap. I’m hoping to find a good deal on at least a couple of these suggestions on black friday/cyber monday.

[QUOTE=bfraser;8925019]

Alright, some background information. I have a sensitive skinned OTTB who interferes and is pretty rough on his hind shoes (the borium get worn to sharp points. He has to have hind shoes, so going barefoot or with just fronts is not an option and since we are located in NH studs are a necessity). [/QUOTE]

The borium getting worn to sharp points…is this at the toes and only on the hinds (ie the wearing pattern on the front boriums is fine but not the hinds). Kinda makes me wonder if there is a potential an underlying trim issue, maybe toe first landings?

When I’ve had to keep my horse shod for winter due to injury or other miscellaneous reasons, I’ve done snow pads and then my farrier has these raised nails that just have a small bump on them. He calls them borium nails but the raised part is maybe 1/4 inch at the very most. It is amazing how much grip they give on ice and I don’t worry about her having the risk of cutting herself or standing really un-level on a hard surface! My favorite boots for schooling are the cheaper Woof’s (the two strap), or get a pair of high quality fetlock boots with a nice protective shell. I feel like sand getting in a boot is a bit inevitable so I’d just be diligent about brushing off both legs and boots after work. Or some of the sock recommendations might work well!