Unlimited access >

CROSSPOSTED: tricky leg protection - recommendations please!

Crossposted from the dressage forum in case my fellow eventers have an idea!

Leg protection looks like it’s going to be a bit problematic this winter for my guy, so I’m posting here for some advice!

Alright, some background information. I have a sensitive skinned OTTB who interferes and is pretty rough on his hind shoes (the borium get worn to sharp points. He has to have hind shoes, so going barefoot or with just fronts is not an option and since we are located in NH studs are a necessity). The other barns I have been at I have been able to use either Woof Boots or Nunn Finers year-round without a problem since the footing either wasn’t the greatest/firmer or was a synthetic mix. Any boot but the two listed above end up destroyed within a week. The new barn I’m at has wonderful sand footing however, that means it is also getting trapped in the brush boots (and turning my horse into a hairless wonder).

Currently I’m using polos for flatting but with the wearing down the borium problem, the polos won’t stand a chance once he gets winter shoes. I’m planning on just using my open fronts or brush boots for jumping, but I definitely need a solution for daily riding.

Any recommendations? Basically I need something to protect against interference, doesn’t hold sand, and that can stand up to (inadvertently sharpened) borium.

edited: I meant borium, not studs

My trainer uses these for every day for the horses that hit themselves behind, and they are durable and hold up well. But pretty much anything is going to need the sand brushed or hosed off regularly. http://profchoice.com/i-7261579-ventech-leather-open-front-ankle-boots.html

What about a neoprene lined, hard shell jumping boot like this? https://www.amazon.com/Roma-Costume-Hind-Jump-Boots/dp/B003BAZXNU

I find that footing doesn’t tend to get trapped in them as much and the hard plastic shell can take a real beating. You may try sprinkling baby powder inside the boots too to help with the sensitive skin :slight_smile:

:cool:Sell him and buy a less complicated horse?

Highflyer - I’m not sure if those would go high enough up his cannon, but the leather might hold up better than some other boots. Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check it out a bit more!

mg - I have the Horze open fronts that the sand tends to get trapped in, do the Roma boots have a similar lining? Good to know about the baby powder! I hadn’t thought of that!

enjoytheride - I’m not going to sell him. He helped bring me up to training level, with our eyes set on prelim. Creative booting doesn’t necessitate selling a good horse.

Porter boots with Saratoga wraps over? Or climatex wraps with saratogas over? I’d think the porters would give more protection but the climatex wraps would keep more sand out.

Porters:

http://www.nunnfiner.com/Porter-Leg-Protectors-p/54-55.htm

Saratoga bandages:

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/b/321

[QUOTE=bfraser;8925462]

enjoytheride - I’m not going to sell him. He helped bring me up to training level, with our eyes set on prelim. Creative booting doesn’t necessitate selling a good horse.[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure enjoytheride was just joking with you! :wink:

I used to have a sensitive TB so maybe I can assist. But first I’m wondering about these sharpened studs - they sound dangerous. Sorry if I’m misreading, but if your horse interferes aren’t you worried he is going to shred his leg/pastern/coronet if he trips, or if the boot slides, or even if he spooks in the cross-ties when he doesn’t have boots on?

Are you leaving the studs in or removing them after every ride? Can you try a different shaped stud (I’ve had good luck with borium-tipped octagons)? Has your farrier considered borium or ice nails as alternatives?

As far as boots, my TB could not handle neoprene except Woof boots, and was also too sensitive for anything rigid or with seams. I used a fetlock ring on one hind, which helped with the interfering. Polos were good. Saratogas and Porters were good; they are a PIA but in your situation it’s not really any different than rolling polos every day. I also had good luck with Dalmar racing boots although I have read a report (here?) that the rigid part shattered on someone. Another useful everyday boot that were ok on him were the Davis splint boots.

Divine Comedy - I just realized I missed the emoji! :lol:

Dutchmare433 - For saratoga wraps, would I need 9’ or 12’ to go over porters or the climatex wraps? I already have the eskadron climatex bandage liners, do you think that would work under the saratogas? Or would the actual climatex wraps work better?

Blugal - Oh of course! Luckily the only injury he’s gotten so far from the studs was once last winter when he cut his front leg getting up from a nap. Nothing terribly serious, betadine + aeroshield + stable wrapping for the day and he was fine. The other barns I’ve boarded at the regular brush boots have worked well at protecting his legs, which of course at this new barn isn’t working with the footing.

Since they’re winter studs, I leave them in. I can ask my farrier about those alternatives, hadn’t heard of them before!

Yeah, I heard a similar thing about the Dalmars. My guy has kind of ugly hind legs so the Premier boots never fit him and I never tried the Dalmars. It was the Dover Sport boots that were destroyed within a week, so I’m iffy on the Davis boots. The fetlock ring is an interesting idea. I’ve never used one before, do horses usually tolerate them fine?

Not sure I understand the issue with the studs? What are you using for winter traction? Actual studs? My farrier uses tiny drive in things for winter, they are smaller than borium globs, and do quite well. Ice nails are also a good option. Neither of these should actually touch the boots while he’s schooling.

I really like the Majyk Equipe boots, but not sure how they would hold up to studs ripping across them. However, I will second the baby powder suggestion, but instead of regular baby powder, try the medicated powder (like Gold Bond). Helps prevent irritation and fungal issues.

Hilary - the winter studs are whichever ones the farriers typically use with shoes in the winter, not actual studs. I didn’t think he would be able to actually interfere like that, but the boots beg to differ. :lol:

Grasshopper - I love the look of the Magyk boots! A bit hesitant on trying those just because of the price and how nice they are. Definitely going to have to try the baby powder idea.

Right now I’m leaning towards the Saratoga bandages, but not sure if I would need the 9’ or 12’?

[QUOTE=bfraser;8925950]
Dutchmare433 - For saratoga wraps, would I need 9’ or 12’ to go over porters or the climatex wraps? I already have the eskadron climatex bandage liners, do you think that would work under the saratogas? Or would the actual climatex wraps work better?[/QUOTE]

I guess the first question depends on the size of your horse–I prefer the 12’ saratogas. The climatex liners with saratogas will a) last longer than the combo wraps and b) give more protection. (Saratoga bandages are quite a bit thicker and sturdier than the outside of the combo bandage.) The only problem with the climatex liners is that a sharp stud might make its way through? That’s why I suggested the Porters. Might as well try the climatex if you have them though!

sorry, double post

What about using ankle boots with hard outsides instead of tall brushing boots? Less for the sand to get caught in/less overall skin contact, will take care of the interfering/stud issues?

Can you swap out the studs for new ones when they get sharp?

I have zero experience with snow/ice but will barium on the shoes work in place of the studs?

Last idea, Men’s chainsaw guard leg chaps peferably OSHA approved ones. Cut those up and make snow gaiters to cover the boots and protect them. They are not too expensive and made of Kevlar material

Can you swap out the studs for new ones when they get sharp?

I have zero experience with snow/ice but will barium on the shoes work in place of the studs?

have you seen these www.profchoice.com/i-7261571-boot-covers.html

Last idea, Men’s chainsaw guard leg chaps peferably OSHA approved ones. Cut those up and make snow gaiters to cover the boots and protect them. They are not too expensive and made of Kevlar material.

Or these? Snake bite prevention gaiters…

www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/Products.asp?mi=42241&itemnum=23003&redir=Y

This is kind of a radical idea, but since you are looking for something to protect from the studs while riding in (I assume) a nicely groomed arena - have you considered hoof boots? Maybe some of the less clunky variety that provide a closer fit? Someone ought to design an overshoe for horses, like they make for human boots. :lol:

I have honestly not found a boot that does not hold at least SOME sand.

Can you do a light wrap of vetwrap or similar on his legs and then put the protective boots over that.

I use ice nails as they cause less damage. I avoid neoprene lined on my sensitive skinned horses. I like the wool lined smartpak boots as even if they get a bit of sand, they do not seem to rub as bad. https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/b/2594

My current favorite everyday boots are by Le mieux. I got them in England…these are them. http://www.equestrian.com/p/brushing-boots/lemieux-mesh-brushing-boots/1209/