Unlimited access >

Crud Monkeys! Our Resident Raccoon is in Bad Shape

I’m not a big fan of raccoons because they are high on the list of Things that Eat Chicken. However, we have had a small, juvenile that isn’t too scared of people hanging around on and off since the summer. He hasn’t caused any problems for the poultry, so I haven’t bothered encouraging him to move on.

Maybe two weeks ago, I noticed his left hind leg was dragging & seemed atrophied. Last night, I heard a noise on the front porch. Looked out to see the raccoon trying hard to sluice the leftover water from a chicken waterer 'd emptied & set up on the porch to refill in the morning. It bolted when it heard me. As it did so, it became apparent that both legs are, in fact, mangled.

Tonight, Iooked out to see him on the porch once again. He was desperately gobbling down a vole that one of our cats had killed and left on the doormat. When he looked up at me in the porch light, I almost cried. His whole bottom half is obviously paralyzed & even his face is roughed up. :face_with_head_bandage: Thinking he must’ve gotten hit by a car.

I’m not sure what to do for him. I’ll call the wildlife rehabilitation center in the morning. He actually can move pretty quick & seems to have dug a den by the foundation in the front. Still, I can’t see how he can’t be in terrible pain. Poor little dude.

Put out some water and food for him in the meantime, until you hear back from the rehabbers. Dog food, cat food, or whatever you have to offer. Let the poor guy at least fill his tummy and have a drink for now. There’s probably not much they can do for him, but at least he could have a decent meal or two until they can trap him.

Very sad.

8 Likes

If you can stomach it, I would put a big thing of catfood and some marshmallows (raccoons LOVE marsh mallows) in a have-a-heart trap. Once he’s caught, I’d dispatch him.

Nature is cruel. I’m pretty anti-raccoon, but I’m sorry your friendly little shaver is hurt.

2 Likes

Those wildlife rehabbers are miracle workers. Hopefully they will take him and you can trap him for them, even if it just for a humane end. Not sure what your area is, but in MA, they typically will assess him before deciding on a course of action. And there are conditions and injuries where he might be paralyzed but regain function.

4 Likes

It does sound like the most humane thing might to be end his suffering.

1 Like

Yes, if you’ve got a trap, or can get one ASAP from the wildlife people, don’t feed him too much right now - I hate to say it, but let him get a little hungry so he’ll go right in the trap.

He’ll probably have to be euthanized, but it will be much kinder than what he’s going through now. If he is in fact paralyzed, he’s a sitting duck for anything that might want to kill him. OTOH, if they see that there’s healing already, they might keep him as an education animal.

1 Like

I’m gun less at the moment, unfortunately. :frowning:

Went out this morning & started to reach for the cord to unplug the electronet around the chicken yard. Jumped back when I realized he was curled up in a ball under the outlet. :frowning: Really looked to be about to pass. Called animal control. Between calling & the officer arriving, he suddenly woke & managed to pull himself under the deck through a hole in the lattice. :exploding_head: The officer was lovely. She couldn’t reach him with her catch pole. So she set up a trap & we baited it with stale marshmallows & some chicken. She sat in her truck for almost an hour until he came back out for the food. She just left for the county animal services with him.

Poor, poor soul. The officer said that up close it was clear his injuries were way worse than what she’d assumed at first glance. :frowning: At least he’s not going to suffer much longer.

18 Likes

Oh poor thing. So sad but you did the right thing.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you had to deal with that. I’m sure it was heartbreaking. At least the poor guy had a humane end.

1 Like

OP, thank you for being a good human. Most people would choose to let nature take its course or shrug and let what will be be.

This is especially true of people who own livestock that certain wild neighbors like to eat. The first year we had broilers we lost nine one night to a raccoon or weasel. Everyone who knew told me to get a gun a stake out for it. My first thought was sadness at the loss of our chickens, but the second was not to kill the perpetrator but fortify our coop so that nothing else could get to them. It never occurred to me to kill something that was just trying to live unless it was absolutely necessary.

4 Likes