Curvy back saddle fitting on a budget - success!

I second the older passier saddles. They also have short tree points

1 Like

Thorowgoods are made for high withers, which doesnā€™t automatically mean curvy, but it might fit well. They also have some adjustability. Plus, a new one is in your price range and Smartpak has free shipping on free test rides.

1 Like

I was not familiar with Skito but lolā€™d when I saw this when googling:

I know thatā€™s not the normal price, but that was one of the first that popped up and I nearly spit my drink!

4 Likes

What a generous offer Beowulf! Unfortunately I donā€™t think I will even fit in a 16.75ā€ dressage saddle at this stage in life. :joy:. But thank you, that is so kind of you.

1 Like

Black Country is indeed another make thatā€™s similar in build to the Prestige, BUT, itā€™s a lot harder to find one in the lower price range. There do seem to regularly be Prestiges in the $700-800 range, and that also allows for a good set of shims and still stay in the allotted total budget

1 Like

Maybe be an Albion slk? My curvy tb went in that one. Lots of used ones.

4 Likes

Stubbens tend to be curvier.

Iā€™m pretty sure I was told the Thornhill Zurich is a curvier tree. Should be easy to find in that price range.

1 Like

Is there any chance you can post a side view of her back, so we can see what this curviness is about?

2 Likes

It does sound small ā€“ but I am in a 17.5 in all my saddles and fit comfortably in it. Apparently Niedersuss didnā€™t make a 17 seat for a while, Iā€™m not sure why. If you change your mind let me know!

1 Like

Ehā€¦ Iā€™m not really wanting to go there. I just need a jumping off point to start bargain shopping.

I have a nice list of brands now to keep my eyes open for.

Horse is 18; I figure she might have 4 more years of semi-regular work at best. Maybe a few more years of light work beyond that. She just needs to be comfortable.

2 Likes

Understand :slight_smile:

Join that 2nd Hand BC Saddles if you can.

I donā€™t have experience with County but I did just see one that has your metrics for $300 posted in that group. Does it have to be a dressage saddle, would AP work?

A BC Eloquence in M/MW for $900:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1450158065808693/?rid=10159885178461748&ad_id&rt=1&refID=0&refType=0&referral_code=commerce_attachment

BC Eden $1200
https://www.facebook.com/groups/717436088592896/posts/1627718507564645/

2 Likes

Prestige would be my top choice but the teknas have super curvy trees and are very price point friendly

1 Like

You know, I had considered trying a Tekna for her years ago on a recommendation and forget why I never did. I had totally forgotten about that.

From what I recall you need to seat size up

Definitely looking for dressage only. I still have low key dressage show ambitions with her.

1 Like

Stubben, Kieffer, and Roosli are all solid options that you could find within your budget. Amerigo also apparently makes a tree well-suited to the curvy backs, though I canā€™t think of the style name. Iā€™ll also echo those who have suggested Prestige and Dominus, though I donā€™t have any personal experience.

1 Like

For Black Country, the Eden is typically their model that suits a more curvy back.

2 Likes

Have you looked into a bridge pad? There are a number out there. It is another option.

2 Likes

I tried a few different pad/shim setups for bridging a few years ago and she was really expressive about her discomfort.

Sheā€™s a bit of a princess and the pea situation.

I do think Iā€™m going to try a pad setup again with her jump saddle, which isnā€™t as bad as her dressage saddle.

At 18 years old with the tendency to have riding interrupted by my life, Iā€™m definitely not buying her 2 new saddles.

2 Likes