Unlimited access >

Custom Boots - what's the deal these days?

I’m going to speak up against DeNiro. I don’t own any, but I know many people who do. One girl was walking one day and the heel just fell off. She had them about a year. That’s unacceptable. I have heard of many where the zipper busted after just a year or two. And I know another girl who got a custom pair, but when she opened the box, it looked like the leather had bubbled. There was a big swirl in it it was weird and in a really conspicuous spot. It was a bummer, but the tack store she ordered them through took care of it. Maybe newer DeNiro boots are lower quality than the older ones.

I think you should check out Tucci or Der Dau.

[QUOTE=Can’tFindMyWhip;8692601]
I’m going to speak up against DeNiro. I don’t own any, but I know many people who do. One girl was walking one day and the heel just fell off. She had them about a year. That’s unacceptable. I have heard of many where the zipper busted after just a year or two. And I know another girl who got a custom pair, but when she opened the box, it looked like the leather had bubbled. There was a big swirl in it it was weird and in a really conspicuous spot. It was a bummer, but the tack store she ordered them through took care of it. Maybe newer DeNiro boots are lower quality than the older ones.

I think you should check out Tucci or Der Dau.[/QUOTE]

CFMW- That’s truly unfortunate! Did either of those people contact DeNiro directly? From my dealings with them, they absolutely stand behind their product. I am so sorry your friends had a bad experience. Both my semi custom pairs have been purchased in the past 3 year years and I have found the quality to be very high, with excellent durability on my older pair (new ones barely broken in so I can’t comment on those). Admittedly, I do not know how they compare to “off the rack” DeNiro, such as those sold by SmartPak.

OP, have you made any decisions yet? Keep us updated on what you get and how they turn out! :slight_smile:

I have an “off the rack” pair of DeNiros purchased from SP. They took FOREVER to arrive (like 4 months) but have been great. I have problems with the zipper on the left boot, but that is my bigger calf and I did have to use a good bit of boot stretch spray at first, so I’m really not surprised that zipper is having issues. Right boot is still good. I wear them a lot and don’t baby them. They took a long while to break in in the ankle (probably due to being so tight), and eventually they dropped a wee bit more than ideal, although it’s not all that noticeable because of the spanish tops.

Anyway, I just ordered a semi custom pair (stock size, but going up a size in the calf width and height), but I wanted a rounded toe and punched toe cap and a dress boot version for shows. Ordered through a small tack shop in SC. They just arrived there after 4 weeks (I was quoted 4-6 weeks to the shop) and are en route to me. They sent a picture, and they look as expected. We’ll see when they arrive. Price was competitive with SP.

So far, DeNiro customer service has been great. I wrote to them and they sent me replacement zippers and snaps. Would it be nice if the zippers had metal teeth instead of the nylon ones? Yes. Although I haven’t broken any teeth–just getting some separation between the teeth and the fabric.

Can I ask what shop you ordered through? My schooling boots are coming apart after my 3rd round of gluing the sole back on, so I think I might downgrade my show boots (DeNiros) to schooling and get a new pair to show.

[QUOTE=SweetMutt;8693829]
Can I ask what shop you ordered through? My schooling boots are coming apart after my 3rd round of gluing the sole back on, so I think I might downgrade my show boots (DeNiros) to schooling and get a new pair to show.[/QUOTE]

I ordered via phone from Southeast Sporthorse. Got some basic info and a quote by email first. Got a text update this morning that they arrived from Italy. They can also do full custom. They seem to have more of a dressage clientele, so I made sure to specify, full lining, no stiffeners, on my dress boots. :slight_smile:

http://sesporthorse.com