Unlimited access >

Custom Boots - what's the deal these days?

I’m in the market for new custom boots but I haven’t been paying a ton of attention to the loop the days…

Who’s making people happy? Who’s screwing things up? Who do you love and covet? Who’s the best quality? Whose the best value?

I’m hoping to get measured before Devon is over and leaning towards DD but figured I’d pop in here and see what people had to say. I feel like custom boots are one of those things where each company has people who love them and people who hate them (ie. I’ve had one pair of Vogels I loved that were perfect and one pair that never fit and they never made right) but I also wanted to see who’s doing what right now.

I just got a pair of Eiki boots and posted a review about my experience with them here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?492753-Eiki-Boots-Review!

I had Vogel’s previously and they always rubbed and were never really comfortable. The Eiki boots are not only VERY reasonably priced but from day 1 they fit great!

I personally have not got custom boots (yet, I hope!) but I know many people who have De Niros, even several pairs, and they love them.

There are many, many off the rack “semi custom” boots out there these days - Tucci is a great one to look into. Ten years ago, my size 9 feet and 12.5" calves needed customs. Now, I can buy semi-custom Parlantis off the rack and save myself the hassle of measuring and waiting. Its awesome.

I have two pairs of Der Dau full custom (sounds decadent, but I cannot wear off the shelf–they literally do not come tall enough for me)–a pair of field boots and a pair of dress for hunting.

I love them both. I’ve had the field boots for about 8 years now and they have held up well. The dress boots are coming into their third season of hunting and are doing well so far, but the leather is significantly softer than the field boots and I am wondering if they are going to last long-term.

I have a pair of semi-custom DeNiros that I love, they have been my daily boot (riding 6 days a week, and bathing horses and things) for close to 6 years and they still look amazing! I have Parlantis for show boots, and while they are gorgeous, they definitely would be dust in 6 months of daily riding.

I know people really, really hate La Mundial, but I have a local rep who did an absolutely amazing job measuring me and they are the nicest boots I have ever worn, they fit like a glove and were just about broken in right out of the box. The company was awful to deal with for shipping, however, and they didn’t even ship the boots until we called them to ask about it, and they had some problems with their contract with DHL, so if you go that route, make sure to keep up on the company when it comes time for the boots to ship!! My boots are so amazing though, and for just $800 I will deal with their shipping issues just to have another pair again.

[QUOTE=intheirons;8686170]
I know people really, really hate La Mundial, but I have a local rep who did an absolutely amazing job measuring me and they are the nicest boots I have ever worn, they fit like a glove and were just about broken in right out of the box. The company was awful to deal with for shipping, however, and they didn’t even ship the boots until we called them to ask about it, and they had some problems with their contract with DHL, so if you go that route, make sure to keep up on the company when it comes time for the boots to ship!! My boots are so amazing though, and for just $800 I will deal with their shipping issues just to have another pair again.[/QUOTE]

Hijacking a bit - why do people hate La Mundial, is it the issues with the company you mentioned, or issues with the quality/fit of the boots? I saw their boots for the first time in Las Vegas last year and loved them…

[QUOTE=ace**;8686226]
Hijacking a bit - why do people hate La Mundial, is it the issues with the company you mentioned, or issues with the quality/fit of the boots? I saw their boots for the first time in Las Vegas last year and loved them…[/QUOTE]

From what I’ve heard, it’s mostly issues dealing with the company… here’s the big thread: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?424518-Regretting-ever-buying-boots-from-La-Mundial

I second (or third) De Niros. Lasted longer than my custom Sergios, were more comfortable since day one than my Monacos ever were. Love love love, and wonderful to work with if you need semi’s (I did).

My new Der Dau Dream field boots came last week, and they are beautiful and will be super comfortable once the fit is tweaked. I was measured by the rep who was at Rolex, and my left boot is too big. Right one is probably going to be fine as soon as it finishes dropping, but I haven’t been able to ride in them yet. My rep has been very responsive when I touched base after trying them on initially, but I’m reserving judgment til I see how the company handles the fact that my left boot probably will need to be remade because the foot is too big (it is visibly much larger/wider than the right one, while my actual foot is not!). They have a good promotion on their FB page right now - $1400 - so be sure to ask about that and their show specials if you go see them at Devon!

La Mundial was a huge pain but they are by far my favourite boots.

Wow - thanks intheirons! Perhaps I will save up for Der Dau instead…

If your near a Dover, custom Alberto Fascianis are really nice. They carry some of their off the rack stuff, but the custom stuff is beautiful, and very high quality.

Fabbri has beautiful boots - both off the shelf and semi-custom - highly recommended!!!

[QUOTE=intheirons;8686170]
I know people really, really hate La Mundial, but I have a local rep who did an absolutely amazing job measuring me and they are the nicest boots I have ever worn, they fit like a glove and were just about broken in right out of the box. The company was awful to deal with for shipping, however, and they didn’t even ship the boots until we called them to ask about it, and they had some problems with their contract with DHL, so if you go that route, make sure to keep up on the company when it comes time for the boots to ship!! My boots are so amazing though, and for just $800 I will deal with their shipping issues just to have another pair again.[/QUOTE]

Our rep is fantastic too, I have two pairs. For a couple years they were using a third party for orders and that is where all the problems started. My rep is a member of the family that owns La Mundial and she filled me in. I ordered my latest pair in August of this past year and got them in eight weeks, and my husband ordered a pair that was a bit simpler in design and got his in six weeks. I think they may be trying to make up for lost customers and revenue from their bad business partnership.

Both pairs are so comfy and the leather wears nicely, not to mention a price that is half many other brands. I have sent my older pair back for a panel replacement and they just keep on wearing well.

I agree that if La Mundial has a good rep in your area, they are fantastic boots. My custom field boots from them are deliciously designed and buttery soft and fit like a glove. All for under $700.

The La Mundial boots are beautiful. Beautiful. But OMG are you rolling the dice in terms of what could happen when you hand over your money :frowning:

I bought a pair of semi-custom De Niro’s this spring, my second pair. I ordered them from a website based out of the UK (Equiporium) and will NEVER buy another product from them again, but the De Niro company was incredible to work with when I contacted them directly. They are an off the rack foot size, but custom calf width and boot height. I measured myself, and had no problems.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD1pp2FED_o/?taken-by=kelly_baylor

[QUOTE=HJdaydream;8691054]
I bought a pair of semi-custom De Niro’s this spring, my second pair. I ordered them from a website based out of the UK (Equiporium) and will NEVER buy another product from them again, but the De Niro company was incredible to work with when I contacted them directly. They are an off the rack foot size, but custom calf width and boot height. I measured myself, and had no problems.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD1pp2FED_o/?taken-by=kelly_baylor[/QUOTE]

Oh my… :love-struck: