Unlimited access >

Custom Frock Coats...where to go now?

I am located in the Middleburg, VA area and I am looking for direction on where to go to get a frock coat made. I would have gone to Karen Ewbank, but she was taken from us all too soon, so I am just at a total loss. Any and all suggestions and ideas are most appreciated! TIA

I never met Ms Ewbanks but knew many who did and used to pass by her shop daily. I remember the day of the accident. I was on Millwood Rd and wondered what was going on because there was so much traffic that isn’t normally there. It was so sad.

My younger daughter and I have a shop on Etsy for custom hobby horses and related items. I can do repairs and simple things like sewing hunt colors into collars but I’m nowhere in the same ballpark skillwise as she was. Maybe try asking Devon Zebrovious at Cherry Blossom Farm and/or the ladies at The Tack Exchange. One of them could probably point you in the direction of a good tailor outside the area.

1 Like

I had my frock coat made in 1990 at Leon’s Tailoring in Indianapolis, IN. The store is still in business. It wasn’t cheap --at that time it was $800 for a Melton. However, I still have that coat and wear it every season, when I’m not wearing the other coat (not a frock, just a hunt coat) that he made for me in 1981. I believe Leon’ s dad made the first coat; he made my second one, and his daughter has the business now. There is a pattern for one you can buy and take to someone willing to sew it. Although I sew, it is far too advanced for my skills --I am a seamstress, not a tailor.

https://leontailoringcompany.com/

1 Like

Got mine from an English company, Mears. With the Brexit news, the dollar was strong so it was affordable. Still might be an option for you. A family owned company, Lynn Mears works w/ you to get your measurements and the coat is delivered as promised. Mine is stunning. Good luck!

^^^^^^Reported as spam.

Sew Lovely, Middleburg/Berryville VA 540-532-9703 or 240-508-7253 As I understand, two folks who worked at Karen Ewbanks are continuing to sew.

What fabric did you end up with? I get quite warm out hunting so I’m thinking I’d order the medium weight cavalry twill. I think the Tropical weight would be too light and more appropriate to the show ring.

http://thehuntingshop.co.uk/epages/36680670-257a-40fe-b26c-f131e99aeaca.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/36680670-257a-40fe-b26c-f131e99aeaca/Categories/"Ladies%20Hunt%20Coats"/"Ladies%20Navy%20Hunt%20Coats"

It’s a mid weight Melton and yes, it is very heavy…works well for Virginia winters but could be brutal for anything before December.

What would you advise for me in Kentucky? Fairly mild winters and I tend to “run hot” anyway. Not sure I understand the difference between medium weight cavalry twill and the lighter weight tropical wool. I want something fairly durable.

Both are not super light…I am thinking tropical wool might be your best bet…don’t tell but if I am too hot, the vest gets left at the trailer. Fox hunting demerits, for sure.

1 Like

LOL - me too!! But no one can see it sooo… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was a tailor for Karen Ewbank for several years before she died. We have just decided to start making coats again.
https://www.facebook.com/padstitch/?modal=admin_todo_tour

2 Likes