Unlimited access >

Custom Voltaire doesn’t fit, and I don’t think it will

Looking for some advice or knowledge. I have a 4yo Ottb who is a jumper prospect in need of a good fitting saddle. When I first got her she was muscled up quite well, especially through her back. I had sat in Voltaire’s before and really liked how they made me feel, and several people I knew really liked the brand. I had one of their reps out to fit me and my mare for a saddle, and it went pretty well. My mare was a little “lazier” than usual, but she had been out of work for a couple weeks and perked up when jumping which is normal for her. After some tweaking by the rep the saddle fit me as well, I had never felt so comfortable and secure in a saddle. So I bought a new palm beach model. Fast forward a month and a half, saddle gets here and does not fit at all. The fit wasn’t salvageable with pads either, she was extremely reluctant to go forward and even threw some bucks when I did get her to move forward. (Very unusual for her.) My mare DID lose quite a bit of weight after the hurricane Florida had, and was out of work, she has definitely clearly lost muscle over her back, which I’m sure is why the saddle no longer fits. I’ve called the rep out to have it re-fitted, but I’m having concerns they won’t Be Able to re fit it. I’ve seen here on the form that they only have one size tree, and the way my mare looks now seems to me she needs a medium narrow or narrow tree. So my questions are: is it true Voltaire only has one tree size? And if so, am I screwed?

Some extra info:
-my mare is very young BUT it’s the first year I wanted to get her progressing in terms of jumping and not just flat work, so I wanted to start her off right in a high quality fitted saddle, even if it meant selling and getting a new one as she got older and her needs changed.
-I tried the saddle with a correctional halfpad (sheepskin with a spine) and it didn’t seem to help. Same behavior.
-I am also mildly concerned with original fit, since it is also a little uncharacteristic of my mare to be lazy at all. She’s not hot, but she’s never been a kick ride before.

If the tree size was ok at the time you placed the order, the tree isn’t the problem now, it is likely that your horse’s needs have change because of the change in body condition (although it still seems like in that amount of time, the changes shouldn’t be more than could be addressed with shimmable padding). Is the horse back in work now? Do you anticipate getting her back to the same body condition fairly quickly? Because if so, that’s really when you’ll be able to assess fit. It puts you in a tough spot, because the change in body condition is not Voltaire’s fault, and you can’t say whether it would have fit properly absent that. I think you really aren’t going to be able to make many decisions until you hear what the rep thinks, but if you have access to an independent fitter you could schedule a consultation, and your vet might also be able to offer input. But if her current body condition isn’t where you want it to be, you don’t want to fit it to how she’s built now, or else it won’t fit when you get her back to normal condition.

I definitely see what you’re saying, and it’s why I wanted to correct with pads if possible, but she just seems to be at a level of discomfort with the saddle where I Can’t get her working nicely, and wouldn’t be able to condition her. Definitely will depend on what rep thinks she can do, but I feel like I need the saddle at least to fit better now so I CAN work her into desired level of fitness again.

Meant to reply to you with my added post.

What saddle were you using while you waited for the new one? Does it fit will enough to use in the interim? You definitely need something that fits her now, but if the current body condition is temporary and is the issue, it would be very short sighted to make modifications to the expensive new one just to have it not fit in a few months when she’s regained her fitness.

I would reach out to them with your concerns. I found my Thoroughbreds changed a lot from age 4-8. Might just need the panels adjusted.

I do not have a saddle for her now, had borrowed a friends before but now do not have access. I did have thoughts of buying a cheap used one and attempting to get her condition back to where I want it, but am still unsure the Voltaire will fit. Maybe I’m being paranoid since I’ve been reading these forms too much

1 Like

I don’t think you are paranoid.

Can you take some photos and share here?

yes. I’ll post some condition pictures so y’all can see how much she’s changed. She’s only been out of consistent work for maybe a month and a half, but she lost a Lot more weight than I personally would expect. Most of the weight loss happening after the hurricane.

Im heading to the barn soon and will post pictures of the saddle on her. I also have a picture of the sweat marks on her pad after I rode her in it, even with the pad.

1 Like

Get some close up from the front, behind and then the side where you can see how the panels lay and we can see if we can help!

I can’t tell much from those photos. Get good conformation photos side on against a solid surface in daylight with the light shining on the horse.

Yes going to get more now. We have recently added oils to her feed, but I feel at the very least in those pictures you can see her topline loss in the last.

Yes you are right she is very thin. Down to about a Henneke 3 on her hips. No muscle. I would not ride a horse in this condition. I would also get get her a vet check up and a bodywork session and pay a lot of attention to her feet. This is way worse condition than is usual for being out of work.

What’s her diet? Supplements?

2 Likes

Originally 1 scoop grain day and night, about a month or so ago I think we increased to 2 scoops grain day and night and then also added dac oil. She’s been on cosequine since I’ve had her. she has constant access to alfalfa and/or orchard/alfalfa mix when stalled, and is in a pasture with some grass, but with added Timothy supplied constantly. She is outside most of the day. Vet was out semi recently (before hurricane), feet are kept barefoot and she just recently had a trim and farrier was happy with feet. That picture is right after the hurricane, but to my knowledge she also had constant access to hay while evacuated, but several horses from my barn lost weight after. I just feel like mine has lost more than most.

But how much hay is she eating? By pound?

What kind of grain? How much by weight?

Have you done a good look at her vitamin mineral intake, crunched the numbers and looked at how they add up?

In this situation I would consider ulcers and also if she was around flood water, some kind of low grade infection.

Your biggest problem isn’t the saddle right now. It’s the horse.

4 Likes

I do have a vet coming out for a check up anyway, so I’ll have them take a good look at her. Thank you!

4 Likes