Unlimited access >

CWD 2G Saddle Review - DON'T DO IT. RUN

My experience with CWD is limited to boarding at a barn that was essentially taken over by the world’s most moronic CWD rep. This person had no qualifications to be a saddle rep in any capacity. The fame-hungry barn owner didn’t care; all she cared about was being able to hang their banners and say her program was sponsored by a saddle maker.

At that time, I assumed it was a problem with a bad representative. But over the years, I have read plenty of accounts that make me believe what I saw wasn’t a one off event. You could go as far as saying it’s their business model. Sure, some people get saddles that work wonderfully for them, but the company also seems to leave a wake of very unhappy customers with the same story.

I’m sorry you had a negative experience.

2 Likes

Sadly this is far from the first horror story with CWD. Do a search here, you’ll find many threads.

It makes me wonder why anyone would want to be a sales rep for this company?

3 Likes

I have a 2020 CWD 2GS. And I happen to have the best CWD Sales Rep (I’m in Virginia).

My saddle was completely re-made due to fit issues. No questions asked. I originally ordered a flat seat with a 2L flap. I didn’t like it. The saddle didn’t fit my main horse. A completely new saddle was made with a wide gullet for my horse, a semi-deep seat and a 1C flap. And it was rushed so I wasn’t without a saddle for long. No questions, no additional fees, just done to make everything correct.

My sales rep took a lot of time with me. I rode in every model CWD. I rode in other used saddles she had. I liked the 2GS the best. She took a lot of time with my after my saddle came to make sure I was happy with my saddle and the fit was correct.

Yes, my trainer is sponsored by CWD. And yes, all of the students ride in a CWD. But there is no push to purchase a new saddle every year. And our sales rep is very hands on with our barn to make sure everything is fitting well and all saddles are in good shape.

Almost a year old now, my saddle is holding up beautifully. I ride three horses a day. No issues with excessive wear.

To each his own. I love my CWD.

7 Likes

My experience is limited to one, but this particular sales rep probably couldn’t have held down any other job. It was someone who aged out of juniors and whose money/funding ran out to keep competing at the level she was accustom. She had no real life skills except gossiping about the show circuit, yet her riding, horsemanship, and work ethic weren’t good enough for her to make it as a pro. So it was the “perfect” job for her in a social sense, but definitely not a job for which she held qualifications beyond a long list of contacts. I do not know if she is still with the company because there were numerous complaints.

This company seems to ignore complaints so …

2 Likes

OP, I really hope you get a resolution. You are not the first, third, or even tenth person I’ve seen post a similar experience about CWD on COTH. It’s absolutely criminal (IMHO) that someone can sell you a multi-thousand dollar product with zero assurance that product fits or doesn’t harm the horse. For $9,000 they should be doing everything within their power to find you something that fits your horse. I mean, that rep should be doing backflips for you back out to her truck to get you something that works.

Not CWD specific, but I had the same issue with Stubben with a custom saddle that didn’t fit. That saddle has been sitting on my saddle rack collecting dust. The Stubben rep told me it was okay for my saddle to bridge, and I had her out three times to address it as my horse got worse and she blamed it on everything else: my riding causing his backsoreness, my girth causing his backsoreness, etc. When I complained to Stubben HQ I got mansplained about the bridging comment and another rep even had the cojones to tell me that I misunderstood what the rep said.

It’s been illuminating to see how little education the reps of just about any brand have. I really wasn’t aware of it until I started looking closer, and started taking some fitting courses myself. Even the very basics, like saddle placement and the saddle not crossing the second to last rib, aren’t adhered.

It’s hindsight being 20/20 now, but one thing to always be aware of is a lot of these reps travel from brand to brand… It can be hard to know the “history” of a person unless you’re in their inner circle, but for instance, in Area 1 we have several Stubben reps that previously were with CWD, then another brand, and now Stubben… And of course they manage to somehow convert big competition barns to their brand du jour… I can’t take either of the reps in my area seriously, especially after finding out other people have had your (and my) experience.

So basically, never trust a brand rep. And always ask if they are an accredited fitter, and what accreditation they have.

7 Likes

So- didn’t you notice this before you put down the money for the saddle?

5 Likes

IMO, much of the current “saddlery” business is a scam. “Certified fitters” got their accreditation from an internet course, and don’t have a clue, and don’t ride adequately themselves, so why would they have a clue? I’ve seen them “pontificating” about what is necessary for a client, I find it hard not to laugh out loud. Modern saddles are often crap that fall apart in a few years, that are often impossible to ride well in, and often don’t fit well. Buyers think that the more they spend, the better the new saddle will be. That’s not true. Be careful who you take advice from.

If you have a horse who has some damaged or misshaped back, some complete oddity that makes a regular saddle not fit him well, you might need a custom saddle for him. Don’t go and buy such a horse on purpose. Buy a well conformed horse, suitable to be ridden, with a good back.

Saddles come in several different widths, and have various shapes. Find one that fits your horse, and that you find comfortable- that you feel allows you to ride to your maximum ability. Buy that one.

Older saddles can be restuffed if necessary. Billets can be replaced. Older saddles were built to last, not to break or wear out- they were built when quality workmanship was a thing. Unlike much of what is available these days. Brilliant riders in decades past rode very well in these saddles. May current riders ride as well as those riders did (often, they don’t).

The issues that are often involved in saddlery issues, as long as the basic fit is adequate are 1) The length of the riding sessions- if you ride for 10 hours at a time, endurance riding or working on a ranch herding cows all day, slight saddle fitting issues may become a problem. 2) Unbalanced rider, sloppy riding. 3) Rider weight- more issues if you weigh 300 lbs. 4) More padding, deeper seats, blocks, rolls will not make you ride better or be more secure in the saddle. The most secure saddle is one that allows you to stay as close to the body of the horse as possible. Less is more. Anyone who tells you different is just trying to sell you a saddle, and probably an expensive one. Be skeptical.

Good luck saddle shopping. It doesn’t have to be expensive.

7 Likes

I, too, had a similar problem w CWD but was several years ago. I put the saddle in dispute w my credit card company and won for many of the reasons you stated above. Is it too late to try that (unless of course, you paid cash)?

2 Likes

I’m sure this is true of many, but there are also many fitters who are well trained and quite skilled. I’ve personally had great experiences with Voltaire and our rep in GA is phenomenal.

When I needed a saddle, I have time for a custom but also needed a more hard-to-find FIN panel for my horse. They hunted down a used demo unit for me and sold it to me for reasonable price. When my horse’s body changed, I had meticulously fitted my horse with shims (and I’m pretty skilled at placement) until I could take the time to send the saddle in for a panel adjustment. Imagine my surprise when the fitter came out and recommended exactly the same adjustments even though she’d never seen my shim placement. She spent so much time pulling out different shims from her kit until she had the saddle perfectly balanced. When the saddle came back with new panels, it fit my horse to perfection! When I lost my horse to colic, I visited Voltaire at WEF to have pro-panels placed so I could use it on a variety of horses. The saddle came back looking like new - it was it’s third panel placement. Their service has been exceptional and there is no pressure to replace a perfectly good saddle.

I will likely send it in next to have the seat replaced as it’s showing signs of wear at the seams.

I think the key issue is that people should educate themselves. Sometimes all it takes is a panel replacement to fix a problem and not an entirely new saddle. Of course trainers love it when clients purchase new - they get the credits toward a new saddle for themselves! And as for buying a new saddle without actually fitting it - I am not sure how that even happens. CRAZY!! It doesn’t say much for that manufacturer, that is for certain!

4 Likes

This happened with a friend of mine. Waited months for her custom Stubben to come in and she didn’t even need to ride in it to see it didn’t fit. The rep tried to blame it on her riding, that it needed to “break in” blah blah blah. Her horse had resulting back soreness the one time she did ride in it. When she tried to return it, the rep said she didn’t know what she was talking about and started fat shaming her! Trainer got into it with her who knows a bit about saddle fitting and finally the rep took it back but friend had to fight to get her refund.

1 Like

This is so true. Another friend rides in an ancient Stubben Siegfried (sp?); she can afford a new, high end brand but this one fits her and her horse, suede knee rolls and all. God only knows how old this thing is, gotta be at least 30 years.

3 Likes

Has anyone tried appealing to their States lemon laws in these cases? A friend of mine did this with a faulty computer and the state/federal lemon law allowed her to get her money without her having to follow the litigation/mediation requirements in the contract

4 Likes

Ha! I’m still riding in my 30 year old Nelson Pessoa saddle. With suede knee rolls :rofl:. But I am looking to replace, possibly with a Voltaire. I’ve used the Pessoa off and on if it fits my horses, but pretty sure the foam flocking is now past its prime… :joy:

3 Likes

I ride in a 2003 Antares that was made for me and a previous horse. The rep spent a great deal of time making sure the measurements were correct for my horse and I. It also fits my current horse fine. It has the wide AO tree. It is not overly poofy like some of the newer saddles. I bought a used Antares dressage saddle with same tree size and it also fits my current horse well I may upgrade to a Custom brand dressage saddle as their trees are fully adjustable and the rep comes to the barn several times a year to check saddle fit and make adjustments. The knee block on my Antares dressage is too long for my leg length.

You can get Pessoa’s with wool now if that’s what you’d prefer.

Goes searching for a saddle.
Finds a “custom” brand and gets a quote.
Is asked to pay before custom measurements are taken? :triangular_flag_on_post:
Pays in full before getting concerns addressed by the company. :triangular_flag_on_post:
Receives saddle knowing nothing was measured and proceeds to use it anyway. :triangular_flag_on_post:
Gets bucked off and horse is sore. #shockedpikachuface

At some point consumers need to have a backbone and listen to the MULTIPLE red flags that happened over a decent period of time.

12 Likes

I think I know her! Lol

I bought a CWD that never fit my horse, not for lack of trying. I finally had pro panels installed and sold it. Oh, the flap developed a hole, so that was another chunk of change.

For what it’s worth, Voltaire never got it right either. It fit my horse better, but the balance was never right.

Both saddles were Inverness nightmares, if you know what I mean.

For my new (and last) horse, I’m going with a wool flocked English saddle.

4 Likes

That’s all well and good, but how many decent horse owners at some point have been “overruled” by “the stable expert”, and didn’t know any better? Charlatans abound in the horse industry. If last saddle you bought was off the internet (so no custom measurements), and it was the same brand and same style, and the rep said “oh yeah, but we can tweak the new ones so they fit perfectly and it’s got an infinitely adjustable tree and high-tech padding… [insert all the sales talk here]”, and the rep was recommended by someone you trust (who might be more ignorant than you are)… You might just think that “this is how it goes”.

People learn by mistakes. Everyone gets caught by sales marketing sometime, somewhere, with the thought that “these people do this for a living, they know what they are talking about, and they said it would improve my horse / riding / health / finance…” etc.

The shame needs to be on the company, not OP for buying into the promise.

27 Likes