Unlimited access >

CWD-calf vs buffalo leather which lasts the longest?

I know this has probably been discussed and I saw a little thread about it but it mainly spoke about other saddles and there was controversy about which leather truly held up the longest. But which really does last the longest?

I was thinking about ordering a CWD saddle but I need to decide between calf leather and buffalo leather on knee rolls and seat. I can’t afford full calf or full buffalo.

I am getting grain leather on the flaps. Which did you choose and why?

In addition, I do want this saddle to last me for as long as I have the horse. So a minimum of 5 years but at least 10-15 years.

Thanks

I have the buffalo/grain option. I’ve been told that the buffalo is both grippier and more durable than calf, so that was what I went with.

My one saddle is 7 years old at this point and aside from a gouge that I put in it falling off, it looks great. The other one is 2 years old and is wearing similarly to the first one.

1 Like

I haven’t owned a CWD in the buffalo/grain option, but I did own a CWD in the calf/grain combination and I wasn’t the happiest with how it was wearing. Granted, I did buy it used and it was pretty used.

However, my first Voltaire was buffalo/grain and I really liked that combination. The buffalo seems to be more grippy and is slightly more forgiving as far as scratches and things of the like go.

I don’t have my saddle yet but I did a lot of research before I decided and everything I found said that the buffalo lasts the best. I also searched for used saddles in each variation to try to get a better handle on how they wore through the pictures. I didn’t like the way that the full calf saddles looked even just a few years old (nor do I like the stitched look) and when considering durability I knew that I wanted the grain flap. That left me to decide on the buffalo or calf seat/knee and with buffalo supposedly lasting longer and looking the best on all of the saddles that I saw I decided on that.

My rep said that it arrives and apparently doesn’t look very pretty due to the hairy appearance of buffalo leather but it is supposed to smooth up once you condition it. I looked up a lot of used saddles so that I could see how the buffalo and calf looked used for comparison and that sold me on the Buffalo Grain combo!

hequestrian, it looks like suede when it first arrives :slight_smile:

I was told buffalo lasts longer but calf is grippier (by the same rep who sold Shorty her saddle…go figure!)

I was also told buffalo required conditioning after every ride to maintain it.

Having seen both I don’t think you can really go wrong with either. They both looks great but if longevity is your main goal, I’d go with the buffalo.

I had a Voltaire rep out to my farm a week ago. The full calfskin was the same price as the grain flap with buffalo seat and knee rolls. Not sure if that is the same with CWD. I’m not a buffalo fan, but it is definitely the most durable. Really I think I just continue to try and convince myself I am not a buffalo fan so I avoid the price tag :lol:.

I have a 2011 grain/ buffalo CWD and have been very happy with the wear. The buffalo does look like suede when it is new, but that quickly goes away with wear and conditioning. I conditioned the saddle 2x week when it was new and now probably every 6 weeks. I would definitely order the same combination again. No creases, cracking or wear from knees with regular riding and the grain flaps have broken in really nicely but are still what I would call “excellent” condition.

Great!! Thanks for the reply’s I switched my order from the grain calf to the grain buffalo. I did like the look of the calf better but seeing another thread with pictures of the grain buffalo broken in, it basically looked the same.
I tried a full buffalo Antares a while ago and I loved the feel of that saddle I think it felt sticky to me. I wish I could afford a full buffalo but I don’t have that kind of money to spend.
How long did it take for everyone’s saddle to come in from CWD?

[QUOTE=bluecharm7;7567875]

How long did it take for everyone’s saddle to come in from CWD?[/QUOTE]

I ordered my saddle April 6th and my rep said that it should be ready to ship in the next week and a half or so. Pretty fast considering they told me it would be 10-12 weeks when I ordered it I think.

My CWD arrived in under 6 weeks, well ahead of schedule. I had the grain/calf and when I sold it 7 years later it was in amazing condition, I was very happy with the way it held up. I am not a fan of buffalo, mainly because I hate the way it looks, even after its broken in. And the CWD grain is very grippy anyway.

[QUOTE=bluecharm7;7567875]

How long did it take for everyone’s saddle to come in from CWD?[/QUOTE]

Mine is hopefully coming within the next few days, which puts it right at the 7 week mark. That said, my friend ordered hers the same week as me and hers won’t get here until the end of the month (about 10 weeks.)

I will say I called and touched based with CWD a few times and politely asked if it was at all possible to get mine out asap. I didn’t think there would be anything they could do and was pleasantly surprised when they said they thought they could get it here the first or second week of May.