Unlimited access >

CWD Panel Codes - RT vs RT RG

Hello all!

Can someone tell me how different a CWD Mademoiselle saddle with the codes RT vs RT + RG are?

I found a used saddle with almost exact same codes as my trainer’s saddle except hers has the RG, this used one doesn’t.

The used also says TC - is that related to seat style?

USED SADDLE:
SE38 S2 TC 3CH
PA RT

TRAINER SADDLE CODE:
SE38 S2 3CH
PA RT RG

Asking because my trainer’s saddle fits my horse well so I would like to know where the difference is in those codes.

I have it on trial. They look similar on his back but curious about the difference.

Panel images in link below:

Thanks!

Hi! The differences between the used saddle and your trainers saddle are the seat style and paneling.

I believe the seat style “TC” is a flatter seat, only by a few millimeters or so!

I pretty sure that “RG” is a shoulder cutout panel. The used saddle is basically the same as the panels on your trainer’s saddle, but the used saddle has thinner paneling in the very front section of the panel. If your horse doesn’t have big shoulders, I’d suggest using a half pad to make the panels fit more similar to your trainer’s saddle!

1 Like

That’s RT, I think. Which makes me wonder if RG pertains to more space in the gullet.

1 Like

@eqburnout Thanks for the reply!

He has decent size shoulders but not huge. I will try first without a pad and see how it looks.

Thank you again!

Oh interesting! I tried googling but couldn’t find anything. Planning to meet with the rep sometime next week so I will ask her then too. :slight_smile:

RG is panel shaving at the stirrup bar.

710 RT RG was used on my QH :grin:

1 Like

This is correct. The used saddle might feel a little more narrow to the horse / tight in the lower trapezius in comparison to the trainer’s saddle.

Very good to know! My trainer uses a thicker pad with hers on him, sometimes it slides back ever so slightly. Should I trial it with a thinner one in this case?

Rep is coming out mid-week so I will chat with her and see if it makes sense, if all else looks good, to maybe shave out that area. Definitely want space for that trapezius!

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, I’d try a thinner pad if you can still have adequate withers clearance with it.

I’m convinced RG is a myth - a panel code they put on there to confuse us. NO ONE I’ve talked to has been able to tell me what it means. On the other hand, we’ve found CWD saddles with identical panel codes can fit so differently, maybe they’re all just there to confuse us. :rofl:

1 Like

Would it kill saddle makers to make this information available on their sites? All this blah, blah, blah about fit, materials, tree technology, etc., and we have to rely on kind strangers to decipher the basics.

3 Likes

HI! Ex-rep here.

RT - shaving for the scapula
RG - shaving around the wither area.

Hope that helps!

ETA - you probably won’t notice a ton of difference on the horse with the RG. I always added it when I had sensitive horses that need a little extra relief in that area due to past trauma to those muscles.

2 Likes