Unlimited access >

CWD SADDLE REVIEW

Hi guys!

I am moving up into the 1.20m jumpers next season and I am in the market for a new saddle. My current saddle no longer fits my horse as he has bulked up significantly after a full season at 1.10m.

I have my eye on CWD. I had a rep come to my barn for a test ride and fitting but I would like to hear some reviews before moving forward.

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

I tried one and although I really liked it I just couldn’t spend the $$! So I tried a Prestige Meredith… A third the cost and I found it fit better than the CWD! Which CWD are you thinking of? I had tried the 3G

I LOVE my CWD! I have had it on a lot of different horses and fits quite a few of them beautifully. I have always had great customer service from
CWD and the reps in my area have all been wonderful.

I know you have multiple threads and as supershorty said if you do a search of the forums you’ll find lots more information. That said, I think CWD does themselves a disservice when they have people only try 3Gs. They ride very differently from the regular saddles for the rider. Some riders swear by them, others (like me) cannot get themselves in a good position with them. ETA: And I am someone who swears by her regular CWD!

Also a helpful tip: the search function on this site does not work that well. You are better off typing your search query in to google and then putting in “site:http://www.chronofhorse.com/” (without the quotes) after it. This will search this whole site only, but through google and yields much better results.

This might start you off: https://www.google.ca/search?as_q=cwd+reviews&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chronofhorse.com%2F&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=&gws_rd=ssl#as_qdr=all&q=cwd+saddles+site:http:%2F%2Fwww.chronofhorse.com%2F

I have one (a regular CWD, not the 2G). I like it but don’t love it. It is, however, the saddle that Mr Sensitive decided is the only one he likes. The gelding has very high withers, and the biggest issue I have with the CWD is the front’s kind of up in my business. I think that’s a byproduct of a saddle that fits him, and not to be blamed on CWD. The leather quality is lovely and the saddle rep I worked with is the best. So, while I prefer riding in my Voltaire, the CWD is a great saddle, and worth trying if you can find one that fits both you and your horse.

There are so many threads about this already. Will post the same reply as always.
I love my CWD for riding purposes. I’m not so happy with how worn it is within 2 years. I am sure the flaps will have to be replaced after 5 which means I will probably buy another new one. I think that how happy you are with it will depend on how good your rep is and if they really want to make sure it is the right thing for you. I have met two newer reps that just don’t understand customer service and are just too plain young IMO.

My favorite among the upper brands, personally. The only close second was an Antares. I tried everything and the reps were BIG aspect of my choice. CWD had the best, most patient rep. She made sure that I got a saddle that I could throw on whomever and would fit to its best, yet it is like a glove to my show horse. It fits both my Sharkfin thoroughbred and my wider-than-tall Warmblood. She also comes at the drop of a hat when my clients want to try a saddle or if something isnt quite right.

I ride in a SE02-- half deep seat, which is something I never thought I’d like. Cant attest for wearability as my saddle is still pretty new, but breaking in well. I’m a fan of them!

My daughter has 2 CWD’s. We have the regular one in full buffalo which fits her Holsteiner x TB very well. This one has the Pro panel and the SE02 seat. This saddle is very grippy and has wonderful feel to it.

The second one is the G2s that we bought in full grain with calf seat and panels. This one is for her very aheeemmmm…full figured Westphalian. This saddle seems to fit anything she rides. We went grain because of the number of horses she rides and whatever I bought her had to last a long, long time. This is also an SE02 seat, and was a bit tougher to break in due to the full grain, but it has been worth the work! I have had no trouble with fit and finish and my rep was excellent. These saddles were my replacements to an Antares(tree issues) a Bruno Del Grange PJ (Seat was to deep) and a Stubben Portos(just did not fit a single horse I currently own). I did have an Antares rep out as well as a Voltaire rep. I did not like the Voltaire contract however as mine had a paragraph about leather and workmanship would not be guaranteed if used more than 1 hour a day 5 days per week. I had already said my daughter would be riding 2-4 horses a day mid week and 5-8 horses day on weekend. When I asked about this I did not get any true answers so I went on and had CWD out. Works for us, but as you know everyone has different taste and ideas. But that is my review. Let me know if you want rep information or have any questions. (Plus CWD kicked in some super extras!)