Unlimited access >

CWD Saddles: Leather preferences

Hi, I was wondering if those of you who own CWD Sellier saddles could tell me the leather which they prefer most, how it wears etc. I was wondering about the grain vs. the full calf with the stitching.

Any comments, suggestions would be great.
:slight_smile:

I sincerely hope that you’re asking because you’re trading in that new $5500 CWD that dozens of COTHers warned you off in favor of a used CWD.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?430778-Riding-Expenses-Revised/page2
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?430617-Help-Handling-riding-expenses

Grain leather is always going to be more sturdy and have more longevity than calf leather. It also tends to be cheaper to buy than calf leather. Calf leather is a luxury option designed to give you a little more grip in the seat, but since you’re a teenager who aspires to ride a lot/often and will probably eventually need to resell the saddle, I wouldn’t recommend it. Calf leather is fragile, so you’d also need to invest in nylon-core calfskin-lined stirrup leathers (<–expensive, think $100+ for a good pair versus $50 for a good pair of grain leathers) and you’d have to avoid riding in jeans. Compared to grain leather, calf leather will require more careful tack care and will be more worn when it’s time to resell it.

In short, if you insist on buying a CWD instead of riding in a $600-$800 quality used saddle, grain leather is the smarter investment unless you find a calfskin CWD for a steal (which is unlikely since CWD is a very hot brand on the used market.)

(Disclaimer: I’m not a hater of calfskin saddles. I actually own one myself. But I’m an adult ammy owner who is willing to put in the time for tack care, and I probably won’t need to resell this saddle for a good long time. That’s totally different from your situation.)

[QUOTE=jn4jenny;7465959]
I sincerely hope that you’re asking because you’re trading in that new $5500 CWD that dozens of COTHers warned you off in favor of a used CWD.
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?430778-Riding-Expenses-Revised/page2
http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?430617-Help-Handling-riding-expenses

Grain leather is always going to be more sturdy and have more longevity than calf leather. It also tends to be cheaper to buy than calf leather. Calf leather is a luxury option designed to give you a little more grip in the seat, but since you’re a teenager who aspires to ride a lot/often and will probably eventually need to resell the saddle, I wouldn’t recommend it. Calf leather is fragile, so you’d also need to invest in nylon-core calfskin-lined stirrup leathers (<–expensive, think $100+ for a good pair versus $50 for a good pair of grain leathers) and you’d have to avoid riding in jeans. Compared to grain leather, calf leather will require more careful tack care and will be more worn when it’s time to resell it.

In short, if you insist on buying a CWD instead of riding in a $600-$800 quality used saddle, grain leather is the smarter investment unless you find a calfskin CWD for a steal (which is unlikely since CWD is a very hot brand on the used market.)

(Disclaimer: I’m not a hater of calfskin saddles. I actually own one myself. But I’m an adult ammy owner who is willing to put in the time for tack care, and I probably won’t need to resell this saddle for a good long time. That’s totally different from your situation.)[/QUOTE]

I am simply asking a question that has nothing to do with that.

Seriously? You’re still planning to drop all of that money on a new saddle rather than investing it in your riding? The sales reps may do an amazing job convincing you the saddle will change your riding majorly, but it simply won’t. $4500 (difference between a new CWD and a good used saddle) is ton of lessons and a good chunk towards a half lease for a number of months.

Also, I know you think you will ride a lot in college, but it is tough. I rode a ton my freshman year and tapered off as I had a social life for the first time ever - prior to that, my life was all horses and this was a new thing for me.

I would not personally buy a calfskin saddle. I have been very happy with my last two saddles which were: Buffalo seat/knee pads w/grain flaps and full buffalo. Buffalo is grippy, soft and wears much better than calfskin. However, it isn’t cheap. Between calfskin and grain, I’d go with grain leather hands down.

[QUOTE=BostonHJ;7465977]
Seriously? You’re still planning to drop all of that money on a new saddle rather than investing it in your riding? The sales reps may do an amazing job convincing you the saddle will change your riding majorly, but it simply won’t. $4500 (difference between a new CWD and a good used saddle) is ton of lessons and a good chunk towards a half lease for a number of months.

Also, I know you think you will ride a lot in college, but it is tough. I rode a ton my freshman year and tapered off as I had a social life for the first time ever - prior to that, my life was all horses and this was a new thing for me.[/QUOTE]

No, I’m not. Im simply asking about the different types of leather and how they wear since I’m going to go with something used

I’m in the minority but I much prefer grain, and not because of the cost. My CWD was grain with calf seat and knees and after 7 years still looked unblemished. I don’t care for calfskin at all, I hate the way it marks up and it won’t wear as well as grain. Buffalo is tough but ugly IMO, I just don’t like it. I think buffalo for seat and knees is a good option though. Its a very personal decision, its more important that you find a saddle that is the right fit and in your price range. Happy shopping. BTW, were you able to cancel your order with CWD? Curious how they handled that.

[QUOTE=anyanicholson;7466140]
No, I’m not. Im simply asking about the different types of leather and how they wear since I’m going to go with something used[/QUOTE]

If that’s your mission, then I suggest you go ahead and ask actual saddle-fitting pros to help you with such questions. Cori McGraw at High End Used Saddles, or Patricia at Fine Used Saddles, or Rachel at I Sell Tack are all very good, reputable vendors of used French tack who would be happy to answer pretty much every question about saddles you’ve ever asked on this forum + any additional ones you can think of, and unlike a brand rep, they’re not going to push you toward any particular brands or options. Seriously, they will give you a way better and more thorough answer than you’re going to get here.

I got the grain on my new CWD - I figure it will hold up better over time.

I like the buffalo leather. You should speak with the CWD representative for your area. They will be able to SHOW you the different leathers and they might have some used saddles for you to try.

I’d see what I could find used and not be so hung up on a specific brand/specific features. When you’re looking used and in a budget-- keeping your mind and eyes open is the key to score a deal. If you’re riding a bunch of different horses you can get a really good quality saddle in the $700-1000 range that, with appropriate padding will do the job a lot of the time. There’s no need for a calfskin CWD if you’re a lesson student riding different horses and trying to save up for a lease/lessons/college etc. Buy something workmanlike and quality and don’t worry so much about trendiness and bells and whistles.

And good gosh, if you’re buying from CWD because you’re so set on the idea-- how about directing the myriad of CWD specific questions to them. You’re paying a pretty penny, let them give you some information/answer some questions!

OP, if money were tight but I was going to buy a CWD, I’d probably choose the full grain leather. Even with money not tight, I don’t want a calf covered saddle. That’s just too wasteful for my taste. I would consider buffalo if I saw it in person and thought I could care for it and keep it pretty.

I don’t own a CWD, but I will never again do a calf saddle. Grain all the way.