Unlimited access >

"Dated" riders - new thread

Guys - 10 pages and counting…think we need a new thread!

I did not not show for a few decades and was very surprised that most of the shows are gone from the fairs. Merry’s post really brought this back for me.

I loved having the shows with western and saddleseat. What an education! Not many formats today where any of these riders mingle. What a shame. And showing at the fairs was really participating in an “event” - nights especially. Loved the recount of all the applause and the horse bolting - too funny. I had the experience of waiting for a class at the fair and my friend from school drove up with his welsh pony (roadster cart). My green hunter took one look and backed up about 40 feet in 5 seconds! Heads up indeed!

I think the lack of a jog at the end of the class is also a loss. There is little that can compete with the thrill of getting called out first and jogging into the ring at the head of the line.

One more picture – for now, LOL.

This is Lucky Y Not who has gone on to lasting fame as the dam of the wonderful ponies, Lucky Me and Lucky Too (and another one which does not have “Lucky” in the name, as I recall). She was about five in this picture and still very much a deep rose gray. Anyone who knew her in her later years will only remember a white horse (evidently). But when we sold her, she was still very pink.

Does anyone know the “Lucky” ponies? do they look like their mom?

Taken in the late '60’s at Eastern States. PLEASE forgive the boots. It was during my freshman year at Smith and I had gained weight… When it came time to show, I could NOT get my boots on, so I had to borrow this pair that were clunky and too short…

I might also add that I was clearly not riding with Victor at this time — my equitation has gone to hell in a handbasket, when compared to the MSG picture of 2 - 3 years earlier, (posted on the original thread…) I have always had the tendancy to duck (bigtime) and I was certainly caught doing it in this picture. Victor would have been appalled, after all his good work

17htb - the bay horse pic was from St Bernards School show in NJ…

Star looks great.

for your kind words everyone!!

You’re sooooo sweet! Awwwww shucks! Merci Beaucoup!

The image of me flipping letters, a la Vanna, is just too intimidating, I’m afraid! But if Monty Hall or whoever makes the call, believe me, you’re first on the list for a HUGE commission!

Duffy, you really do have the LOOK! :roleyes:

So, when did you retire from modeling? LOL

So CactusKate did you ever come up to the LWSC 4th of July open show? English Western Saddleseat H/J, driving all at one showground, Bridle Trails State Park in Kirkland Washington. Sometimes we used the arena at Central Park Stables. This, to my knowledge, was one of the last of the recognized AHSA open shows. We last held on in 1985 or 6 if I remember. By then it had split out to H/J one weekend ( 3 or 4 days) then western and “other thans” on the following weekend for three days.

Not so unusual? The state park only has one large arena, uncovered and two warm up rings.

This used to be one of the largest shows in the region and during the late 60’s it was not unusual for riders to come down from Canada and up from Oregon for it. Portable stabling in the parking lot with overflow to the neighborhood barns and people would hack in.

Clearly remember Laura Tidball (Baliski) winning the medal there as a junior.

Now all that remains is two “C” rated hunter shows in May and June.

Thanks,
I didn’t know Tower Hill, but I definitely knew Spring Ledge.
Landgate Farm is the one I knew/know best.

incredible horse - the only horse to MEDAL in two different disciplines in modern times! (Eventing & Show Jumping) Mike Plumb rode him in Tokoyo when Mike’s horse went beserk in the plane & had to be put down.

He was owned by Billy Haggard - who hunted him with the Essex when I was a kid! Then he moved to Camden where his wife hunted him. He also showed him as a hunter, evented, show jumped, etc. I consider him to be the greatest horse of the century - just a notch above my other favorite, Idle Dice.

If I can find a picture, I will post it.

Hey Cactus! i know this is a reply to a post on the first page but about the Oregon State Fair, most of the barns that actually do the A circuit don’t go there anymore. too tired of them losing entries, or holding jumper classes at 7:00 am when no one is watching, and miniture ponies in hand at noon when people want to watch, etc. just wondering, but did you used to ride in OR or something? who did you ride w/?

You guys are having too much fun!

I may have to get a scanner as a late Christmas present. I have some similar pictures from that era of my mother showing, and we still use some of the trophies at holiday meals (trays, pitchers, etc.). Those were the days when they knew how to give out prizes.

Between those pictures and ones of my cat, the scanner would get plenty of use.

The previous “memories” thread is available in Adobe Acrobat pdf format, complete with pictures, all 12 pages. If anyone wants it to read or whatever, email me.

This is at a local fair in 1964. Dandy was the type of pony that every kid should have.(Used to keep him in the stall next my 4-H calf.)Rode him everywhere bareback. This was the costume class. That’s my dog sitting beside with a bowler hat on. It was gymkhanna day with a whole bunch of games similliar to pony club to day. I have thought of having a summer party for adults and their horses with a bunch of gymkhanna games to do.

So Easy, our barn used to go to the Pickering Horse and Pony Show every year in April. It was held in a beautiful location with a great outside course. Probably the same place (?)

and wonderful auto release, head up and watching, perfect leg position, heels down, etc.

Hmm - do you still ride like that?

(Do ANY of us?) LOL!

So Easy,

Was that Amanda Lyerly’s horse Just in Time(I think that was his name)?

How’s this for informal attire! I didn’t have a pony, so my sister and I improvised…

I ALWAYS loved Bill Steinkraus’ horse Snowbound, but what was the name of that gray he used to show? Was it the Minstrel??

Hi Janet. Tower Hill was just started around 1972-1973.

What ponies were at Landgate? I showed my Aunt’s ponies for a few years at Woodstock, so maybe I knew of them.