Unlimited access >

Daughter bucked off in lessons-confidence shaken and joy almost gone, how to rebuild?

Yes I personally think this is what is going on. The instructor has a really good eye for equitation and teaching people to jump over all but I have seen with teaching my daughter that she does not lunge well at all.

The first time I chocked it up to an accident. And I honestly don’t blame the ponies necessarily. Like I’ve stated before I like the instructor and I think she has a lot of talents but I honestly don’t think lunging a child is one of them.

And I think regardless of who’s fault it is I think now the mission absolutely has to be rebuilding the confidence and joy.

1 Like

It’s a bittersweet thing because personally I think being on a good school master in the lunge line is just the best thing for everybody’s seat. And for the last few months she has reaped a lot of benefits and her seat is actually very good (one reason why she stayed on during bucking incident number 2.)

But I myself have been bucked off on a lunge lesson as well and there is no doubt it can be risky.

Her position and seat her pretty phenomenal at this point. But she does need to work on more independent ridingg skills. We just need to make it fun and hopefully not get her bucked off anymore!

Yeah I’m definitely not going to push her to canter because how could we? It’s so understandable of why she’s nervous now.
She actually did have a grab strap and that and her solid leg was what kept her on for bucking experience number two.

But for example at her last lesson she was supposed to walk and then trot over some poles for the first time. She was having a really hard time getting the pony to trot or keep her in trot. Instructor wanted her to carry a crop and use it. My daughter was scared that the pony might buck because of the crop. The pony definitely is too lazy for that but it’s hard to explain to my daughter after the pony getting scared of the lunge whip and bucking.

I definitely think we have to take a step back but also take some sessions and do more game type activities or just fun stuff to kind of get the enthusiasm back.

1 Like

Yeah the tough love just isn’t working. The pony is very lazy most the time. So instructor wanted her to use a crop. Well my daughter was very nervous… because she thought pony might buck her off because of that. And besides that she was preoccupied with how to hold the crop, was looking down to make sure she had her reins short enough.

But worst of all, she didn’t have Fun. Just a couple weeks ago she was super proud of herself and having a blast. :frowning:

IMO a good trainer and a good “beginner/ kid trainer” are like two totally separate skills that have almost nothing to do with one another.

Some of the best beginner/ kid trainers that I know aren’t even super accomplished riders themselves they just have to be really good with kids and have almost a sixth sense for identifying safety hazards before accidents happen. You just can’t be waving a whip at a pony on a lunge line to get it to canter when there’s a kid on board. This trainer might be great with you but it sounds like she just doesn’t have the feel you need to be a good/safe pony trainer.

27 Likes

Yes absolutely I think that’s what’s going on here. It might be that this instructor is one my daughter can come back to- but probably not for a few years. I think she’s great for probably more intermediate/advanced riders.

3 Likes

I used to teach kids and one of the ‘fun’ things I would do is have the kiddo steer the pony around the ring while they were following me. Your child may be beyond that type of ‘easy’ riding but to get her confidence back up, it there is a pony that will follow the adult, it might get her to be more confident that she can control the pony and stop it when she wants. And have fun keeping up with the adult. Heck, even a little taller horse might work out better for this exercise. I used my 14.3 hand Arabian who was wonderful with kids, even the 4yr old ones. Maybe your barn doesn’t have a pony/horse like this but if you can find a program with such a horse, I think it would help her confidence. Then she could do the follow the leader behind another horse as she gets more confident with the pony/horse. Make it fun again. My kiddo’s liked to follow their mother around the ring while she was riding her horse.

Just more thoughts for something fun. But IMHO, she needs to be on a different pony/horse. She’ll always be wary of the ones who have bucked with her if she’s naturally a timid person/rider.

4 Likes

If she were my kid (and totally hypothetical because I don’t have any kids), I would back off all the way to grooming, handling, and leading the pony.

9 Likes

Great tip! It probably will not be a huge challenge for her but I think she will enjoy that type of thing. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Right now she’s still pretty comfortable at the walk and really wants to go on some trail rides. So what I did the last few lessons was I just led the pony back to the barn from the arena. Not a proper trail ride but out in the sun and it is a very beautiful barn with great scenery. So that is the kind of thing she enjoys. She also does like grooming and takes pride and doing it all and getting her polos wrapped so I don’t think it hurts to take some extra time there!

3 Likes

And there’s your clue. Clearly (at least to me) this instructor is not for your child. And if you continue on, she will learn to hate riding. I’ve seen it before. Please don’t let this instructor ruin riding for her.

15 Likes

She’s 9 years old. She did pester me this year about getting into a consistent lessons as when she was younger It was just on and off. This was the first year that she seemed actually passionate about doing it. I will say she always does hop right back on. But as determined as she can be at the same time she is a cautious child. So I’m not surprised that there’s a little bit of hesitation now. If anything I was surprised that she kept righting after the first time getting bucked off.

She says she still wants to keep riding but she’s not feeling safe with the instructor.

She really actually prefers lunge lessons over all. Although when she was writing horses and not ponies she really enjoyed being off of a lunge line and steering on her own. She really has a natural seat and likes to be challenged to do different things on the lunge. She struggles to get real tough and firm with the ponies and I understand as I’m the same way (although I came to terms with it!)

I do think trail riding would be something she would really enjoy right now.

Yeah I already told her she doesn’t have to go back. We already paid for lesson package but I’m pretty sure that I can just take the lessons that we already paid for or roll them over in some way for me. Or maybe I can get a refund or just take it as a loss. There definitely isn’t a point to go if she’s nervous and not enjoying it anymore.

I do think the instructor is a bit tough on her because I think she sees some potential at least in my daughter’s natural seat and balance. But it just doesn’t work for my daughter’s personality at least not through this.

So here’s a question for you guys what do I tell the instructor now? Just that she’s too nervous and not really enjoying it anymore and that I’m letting her back off of riding?

yes. No need to explain further.

4 Likes

I think this is perfect.

Then start asking around and find an instructor that does those little one up down lessons and makes them fun while they learn.

11 Likes

The only time I see kids lunged in a lesson is when they are super tiny so that their legs aren’t long enough to kick and their arms aren’t coordinated enough to steer. But at 9, your daughter should be steering herself and kicking herself. I honestly think it’s weird someone is chasing a pony with a lunge whip to canter on a lunge line while a kid just sits there. That’s not actually riding. That’s just having a (dangerous) pony ride. Definitely find someone who knows how to teach kids. And if your daughter doesn’t like to kick, then buy her a motorbike.

8 Likes

I would. I mean I think it’s important feedback for the trainer to get too. As an adult, we go to a trainer because we want to be better riders. Kids however, in the beginning, a lot of times are just taking lessons because they love horses and find riding fun. I think sometimes trainers forget that.

4 Likes

Well it was more in a dressage type way, to develop an independent seat. But I agree that obviously there is a lot more to riding than that. And I totally agree that her chasing the pony into canter is just not good. It was kind of wild-hence the bucking!I think people are being to harsh on the not wanting to kick comment. She’s ridden some more easily motivated horses in the past- so I think it’s perfectly normal to get frustrated about kicking 30 times in a row to get the pony in a trot.

I

3 Likes

Yup. And that brings up another consideration I’ve observed over the years. Frequently, the most appropriate equine for the job of teaching young kids is not the one many people assume is the right one! I’ve seen it so many times. We had so many pony problems one year at a summer camp for beginners that we were down to literally the last rideable horse on the farm – a 16.2hh OTTB mare who was a rather particular & spicy ride. Darned if she wasn’t a totally different horse with one of the little kids in the saddle, like “OMG! Precious cargo on board! Dobbin, move your fat a$$ outta my way, I got a 6yo to teach here, ooooooo kaaaaaay???”

Ponies tend to be more hit or miss in that regard. Just today, some crank in FB was bitching in the comments under the Upperville Leadline photos, “[Sniff.] They all look overmounted. Whatever happened to small ponies for small people?” First off lady, they’re 18 months old. They don’t ride yet. The parents borrowed a horse. Second, 99% of very small ponies are evil. I swear. Some people just can’t let others enjoy something. They gotta snark.

13 Likes