Unlimited access >

Dave Letterman.WOW.

Is any one watching the show,he and Dan Rather are unbelievable.I am impressed and crying at the same time.

Well that was really some show. I have not always been a big Letterman fan. But tonight he was very touching. And Dan Rather, well besides being emotionally exhausted, how do these people go on?

And I was so amazed that Rather kept saying, But I am a professional, I am paid to keep my emotions inside. The man has witnessed and recounted for the country how many times over, these horrible events for all these days and he is apologizing for breaking down. I don’t see how they could not.

Thank you for the reminder of the show. It was so worth staying up so late.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

Didn’t see it, but I LOVE Jon Stewart. Sounds very touching…

I saw it as well…have to admit I started crying as well…first of all to see Letterman all choked up, but to see Dan Rather lose it as well~ it was too much for me. I don’t blame him one bit though…as much tragedy as he’s had to report on in the past week, he had every reason in the world to break down…like Letterman said, he’s human too. Bless 'em both for an unforgettable & moving show! SUZ

Portia, I saw it, and it was WONDERFUL. It sort of snuck up on me, I didn’t know they were going back on the air tonight, but since my TV is smarter than me (it automatically changes to the Comedy Channel at 11:00 pm), I got to see it…

I was right there crying along with him when he said the part about his “new view”…

And puppies? Who can do better than puppies?

I stayed awake later than I have . . . since law school (!!) to see it.

Thanks for the heads-up. It was remarkable. Totally remarkable.

It made me feel so united, as somebody mentioned, to see that Dan Rather and David Letterman both feel the impact of this horrible tragedy and are not afraid to show it.

The grace of God is upon this nation as so many people join together in sorrow and determination.

And, yes, I have been loving Rudy Giuliani for years. I am glad Dan and David said the same in such strong words.

I wish I had seen this last night. A radio station replayed Dave’s comments when he first came out and then when Dan Rather was speaking. I started crying just listening. The news has been replaying it tonight, also. That’s what happens, I feel like I’m fine and then I’ll hear or see something and the waterworks start all over.

I just saw a clip of it on ET and the 30-second clip made me cry… when Dan Rather grabbed Dave’s hand and said “can you take over?”

I’ve been a Letterman fan since he had his first daytime show, oh, about 20 years ago. I always thought if we’d ever crossed path, we’d have been a perfect match. Sorry, Mr. Merry!

I found the show so moving and touching that it was almost difficult to watch, because I couldn’t do anything to reach through the TV and comfort them. Boy, talk about “feeling someone’s pain”.

“Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America”

Is any one watching the show,he and Dan Rather are unbelievable.I am impressed and crying at the same time.

So sorry I missed it, although a friend had told me all about it and even just hearing her talk about Dave’s monologue and Dan Rather and Dave crying on the air made me tear right up!

Thanks for the tip. It isn’t on here yet, will have to try to stay awake.

“The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!”

There’s a clip of Dave’s monologue on abcnews.com… not sure if this link will work, but I found it through Yahoo news.

Letterman on Giuliani

fernie -

You’re right. I’ve never seen Dave so serious and sad. In a way it was comforting to see Dan Rather break down because it made him seem human, you know? It made you realize, he’s a New Yorker; this is his turf, too, that has been violated.

I appreciated Dave’s accolades of Mayor Giuliani. Fully earned by that man who not only leads that city, but the country, in our emotional climb out of that crater of despair.

Did anyone else see The Daily Show with Jon Stewart last night? If you’ve seen the show before, you know how biting it can be, and how much it depends on making fun of whatever the day’s news is. Since that kind of humour would certainly not work, they have been in re-runs since the 11th. Last night was the first night back.

It started with no music or intro, just Jon Stewart talking, from the heart. He started out by saying that he had to ask the people at home, as they had asked the studio audience and every New Yorker asked everyone they saw, “Are you OK?” It went on from there and was beautiful and so heartfelt, but had touches of that humour that funny people resort to when things are so terrible they just can’t stand it. (When he couldn’t go on because he was so choked up, he said “the good thing is, we can edit this out.”)

At the end of his talk he said, "The view from my apartment was the World Trade Center, and now that is gone… But you know what the view is now? The Statue of Liberty. The view from Southern Manhattan is the Statue of Liberty, and you can’t beat that."

His phrase “you can’t beat that” meant so much more than just the quality of the view.

They showed a few old pieces “with the aim of hopefully putting a smile on your face.” At the end of the show, they usually close with a quirky or weird or perverse film clip called “your Moment of Zen.” This time, “with the theme of trying to give you a smile, here it is, your Moment of Zen” … and he pulled his own puppy from under the desk and showed him off and clung to him.

A puppy is the perfect Moment of Zen for these times.

[This message was edited by Portia on Sep. 21, 2001 at 01:02 PM.]