Unlimited access >

Deadly Canine Virus in Michigan -- Parvo Variant?

Scientists and vets are dealing with a deadly condition showing up in Michigan which has killed 20 dogs so far. The symptoms appear like parvovirus, with vomiting, diarrhea, and a fairly sudden death, and most of the victims have been younger than two years old. All the dogs have tested negative for parvovirus, so it is not known if the disease is a variant or something completely different.

I think it is alarming that vets are telling people not to walk their dogs or take them to dog parks since it is suspected that the spread is from dog-to-dog contact.

It’s reasonable to assume that it is much wider spread than what is known, so I think all of us should be aware and on the lookout.

Good news is that the ABC News article reports that no dogs which have been properly vaccinated have died. I wish they could have said what that means, specifically. I assume my dog has all the “proper” vaccinations but it would be nice if the news would say exactly.

“some of the first samples submitted to the Michigan State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory were positive for canine parvovirus.”

https://www.michigan.gov/mdard/about/media/pressreleases/2022/08/22/update-from-state-vet?fbclid=IwAR1N6avhSnwmajc5ZxHwwJl4BVvbpwZVO_Yom8-v6aeoTnwxhMQZm-jpsWU

I wonder why some tested negative and others didn’t? I can think of a few possibilities.

1. False negtives.
  2. Parvovirus variant which is just different enough that it doesn’t always test as easily.
  3. The dogs which tested positive for parvovirus had parvovirus and the negative samples came from dogs which had something else.
  4. Something totally different, a new virus.

On another angle, if all of the dogs which contracted this disease have not been “properly vaccinated,” which must mean that they haven’t had a parvo vaccine, why are they telling all dog owners to avoid walking their dogs and going to dog parks? Why not just emphasize how important it is to vaccinate your dog?

1 Like

A lot of it probably has to do with the testing itself.
Typically in house clinic testing isn’t as thorough/precise at that done at the state lab or university.