Dealing with Chatty Cathys

The chatty cathy at the last barn I was at got told off by me, FWIW.

My mare had an abcess on her lower jaw that I was treating. Part of treating it was putting a plug-in hot pack on it, wrapping it in place with a polo wrap (she looked like a mummy, poor girl), and then doing other stuff (grooming, etc) for the 20 minute on, 20 minute off cycles.

So there’s my mare, plugged into the wall and face wrapped with a polo wrap, standing like a good girl. Chatty cathy comes up and start poking and prodding and crinkling things my mare thinks are treats, and I flat out couldn’t take it anymore. I said “hey, could you NOT mess with my horse when she’s plugged into the wall?” Chatty cathy was VERY offended, popped something back that I didn’t even hear but responded with an abrupt and forward “THANK YOU.” and then basically stood between my horse and her until she left.

Sometimes you have to be abrasive and hold your ground. Be polite if you can, but if it isn’t working “turn up the volume” so they hear you.

5 Likes

Excellent point

Excellent point that there can be a safety issue with horses.

Virtually guaranteed that Chatty Cathy/ Needy Nellie will have her own horse put away and be standing idle in the aisle looking for a target to talk at. And the ones who can’t get away are often doing something that requires concentration like cleaning hooves or medical treatment. If you do this in cross ties or wash rack you are even more vulnerable to their interruption.

I had a person with this issue in my family growing up. As an adult I realized he simply could not have a give and take conversation on any topic, it was always a torrent of whatever was on his mind at the moment. He also would shift the subject if the auditor knew anything about the topic. So it’s something I notice and I don’t like, and I try to discourage.

We don’t currently have a full on Chatty Cathy at the barn, but we do have several people who aren’t riding or riding much, who will monologue and often complain about the world. My test is, if the person doesn’t pick up any of my conversational cues, doesn’t acknowledge any of my solutions or meliorations to an issue, and seems to be free associating on their own terms, I just limit our interactions from then on.

I have felt for a long time, starting with family member, that there is a strong model for monologuing in the TV announcer or expert on the radio, and now in the podcaster. But I don’t think it’s the cause of the behavior.

5 Likes

I had a monologuer in my family, so it’s one of the things I scan for and have thought about a bit. Monologuer was male, so not exactly a Chatty Cathy, but otherwise similar.

I think we can all identify with moments when we chatted too much, or dominated a conversation because we were excited about something. But I feel like it’s a significant difference between that and being a Chatty Cathy.

Anyhow I’m genuinely kind of interested in how it feels from the inside, and how people grow out of it. You might not want to talk about it more, though.

I have wondered sometimes if my family member monologuer was on the autism spectrum in a very mild way, or if there was some relation to war time combat PTSD early in life. I did eventually realize that the nonstop monologues meant he kept everyone at a distance about what was going on with him, and there was a significant amount of anxiety and shame under the surface.

But the Chatty Cathy women I have known have been more likely to be over sharing about their lives, though that may be a deflection and not how they really feel.

4 Likes

All of this advice is so good. It’s clear that the COTH community has a wealth of experience in dealing with these chatty types. I chuckled out loud reading through some of your recommendations and experiences. It will be difficult to override my politeness mentality, but you all have given me good explanations for why I need to do so in order to protect my time and to get the Chatty Cathys to respect me a little more. I’ll continue to be kind but try to summon more boldness and take a little more control in these so-called “conversations.”

8 Likes

Conversation implies together, like conference or confluence. Uni-versation?

2 Likes

Tell them this! Brief simple and to the point. Maybe add that your barn time is your time to enjoy the escape with your horse.

3 Likes

I love everything shared by @OverandOnward. Be very clear and consistent and they will likely (in time) take their mouth elsewhere.

We used to trail ride a bit with a nice couple but I swear if that woman was conscious her mouth was in motion. It was tiring. We no longer trail ride with them :wink:

3 Likes

You don’t need any of the foregoing advice (although it’s all pretty good). Because you already said it yourself (see quote above).

Interrupt them, mid-sentence if necessary, and say, “I am a working parent of a young child. I need to keep my barn visits short and on track. I don’t have time to chat.” The end. Go get your horse ready. I appreciate your desire to be polite, but really, why? These people are being all kinds of rude with this half-hour-long monologue. There is no need for you to be polite.

5 Likes

Some people never grow out of it. It is basically a lack of emotional maturity and a lack of boundaries.
I.e horses. If they get hungry or thirsty enough
fences have no meaning.

And also maybe a disconnect on what real friendship and intimacy means as opposed to someone simply observing common forms of civility.

1 Like

I am with others that you do not stop to chat, don’t stop walking and keep going, their chat doesn’t worry me and I will chat. However I keep doing what I am doing until I go to the arena or whatever and leave.

3 Likes

Are you in the South ?
Because if you are this is the most important thing you’ll ever learn:

DO NOT EVER, I MEAN NEVER, ASK A SOUTHERNER HOW THEY ARE DOING!!!

You will not only get the organ recital, you will get a run down in technicolor about her, her spouse , her children , her job, spouses job , kids grades, pets, and car trouble., ditto for the neighbors, and relatives.

YOU’VE BEEN WARNED :warning:

10 Likes

The barn is kind of a unique situation.

Much of our human interaction takes place at work, school, or shopping, which are public but all have institutional constraints. Or at home, where you get to choose who you invite. At purely social events you can move on to “freshen your drink” or “say hello to Bob who just arrived!!” when you are captured by a bore. Hobbies and sports can be solitary (like jogging) or group oriented, where the group may be able to either enforce proper behavior or exclude bores.

The adult barn is a shared hobby space where you are working alone but parallel to other members. There’s not a team group or leader to keep folks on track with tasks, and you can’t simply just peddle your bike faster and leave the bore in the dust.

I’m trying to think about other hobbies that set up the same situation. I bet you could have this dynamic in a community garden. People do have it with neighbors sometimes, but hopefully you can move away from the fence or plant a hedge. People do have it with friends or relatives that phone and rattle on forever. But there are ways to hang up the phone. Or screen calls. Another situation could be sitting next to one on a 5 hour plane flight. Yay ear phones and faking sleep.

Anyhow, the obvious shared interest of horses gives everyone at the barn permission to talk to each other, but the lack of institutional structure means that those who don’t self regulate can really go overboard, and you have to do the task that in other situations the boss, teacher, yoga instructor, choir director, tour guide, etc is paid to do and usually has some tactics based on authority to compel task focus.

We actually delegate a lot of managing problem people to these institutional authorities (I say as a college instructor who does pay attention in my classes to keep students on track). But when we are in situations like the barn, parallel participation with no authority figure present, we need to manage them ourselves and I feel like lots of women, in particular, have been socialized to not value their personal time and space. We defer or at least negotiate with men we are intimate with, we are wide open to small children, we also recognize that letting small children chatter endlessly is crucial to their cognitive development, and as long as it’s happy chatter, rather sweet (I don’t have children so I am guessing here :slight_smile: that happy chatter is happy back ground noise compared to crying and tantrums).

The adult monologue bore is different than a toddler, they take up more space and they demand your attention in a more concentrated way, and the conversation is usually repetitive and stuck, there’s no development going on. Fortunately they are fairly rare, and in many situations held in check by institutional constraints. Most of us don’t tend to invite them into our lives, unless they are family and we can’t avoid them. So it’s likely true that many of us don’t have a lot of experience either recognizing these people early on, or extricating ourselves.

I would say that the more normal, social, well adapted you are, the harder it can be to recognize cray cray of any sort, and harder to deal with it promptly because you just are not expecting it. Your default is normal adult communication and manners.

I’m not sure what it says about me that I automatically scan for craycray every single time I meet a new person, and kind of expect there to be a nonfunctional or maladaptive layer somewhere in them which I want to know about and avoid. The Chatty Cathy monologue bore is something I feel I pick up on pretty fast, even just by listening to folks chatting among themselves.

Anyhow these were some new thoughts I had about why COTH gets a continual stream of queries about how to handle obnoxious or difficult barn folks. I do think the situation of parallel hobby tasks with no immediate oversight throws us into having to deal with problem people directly without any institutional controls, and also that the “free space” of the barn can free problem people up to be less regulated. It’s pretty clear to me that many of our barn members are at the barn to talk endlessly more than to ride.

4 Likes

Having a young child should have you well prepared to ignore what is annoying? What better way to shut someone up then to ignore they are even there.

My kids were not overly whiney but it happened on occasion and if they pestered me with something unnecessary/ annoying I just ignored them completely and they just went on to something else to occupy their time.

Just do what you are at the barn to do as if they are not there.

1 Like

I do think there’s a difference between the chatter of small kids and that of an adult monologue bore. Most of the time, children don’t really expect your full focus or know they don’t have it, and aren’t offended by this either (it was revelation to me to figure this out). They will ask a question, then run away to play with the hose or dig a hole in the sawdust pile or talk to another adult.

The adult monologue bore will lock onto you and talk nonstop, and will often try to segue into topics that push your buttons, and won’t ask you questions or run off to chase the barn cat and get distracted. And they will lock onto you day after day.

1 Like

Why yes, I am!!

Gee, and here I was guessing you were at the barn I left awhile back in So Cal. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I ran across something today that might offer some insight. Unfortunately not at a moment when I could pick up a link.

A psychologist/counselor mentioned this type of behavior. Ironically, this counselor feels that the endless-talker fears abandonment, and is trying to keep the listener attached to them. The fear is so deep that they will try to verbally attach to many people, even if they don’t know them.

Of course their behavior often creates the situation they fear, the listener terminates the conversation and leaves. And/or avoids them.

The counselor feels that, with help, talkers can learn to self-regulate this behavior. But they need to gain some insight to help them identify what it is, when it is happening, and how they can get a better result.

Yes, I think this is spot on.

3 Likes

If you talk more than the person you’re talking to. If people do any of the evasive behaviors others have suggested here. If you wonder how to identify this behavior.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If ever there is a moment to KEEP WALKING, KEEP WALKING

Depending on the slice of southern culture that you occupy at the instant … :grin:

I think the problem is the word “doing”. This is an active word that has layers of meaning in the south. They think you want to know exactly how everything in their last 48 hours is going. (‘Going’ being another active layered word.)

If you just stick to a big grin and sing out “Hey how are YOU!” with enthusiasm and no question mark tone at the end, while continuing to walk, you might get the short “Oh I’m fine!” answer. The only correct and acceptable answer! :laughing:

1 Like