Unlimited access >

Debany-Clero, Spooner, Bronfman: Our TEAM IN SPAIN

We have a team in Spain.

Alice Debany-Clero
Richard Spooner
Clare Bronfman

A good job!! congratulations to all.

I continue to be disheartened in the devisive nature of the USAE and USDF situation.

So many people clamor for MORE EXPERIENCE and exposure for our international riders. We here was opportunity which riders grabbed and I feel they got slapped on the hand for it.

I would still like to know if the USDF contributed monies to the NAYRA Championships.

I was stunned to find out how poorly funded this important event is (was).

As for rising above the bickering, it seems some have, but some maybe haven’t; ie, still no comment from USET? Hmmmmm.

<<No word on this from USET as of yet, I can’t help but notice…>>>

I am not bashing, but I agree…I have known about this for days (Alice is my sister) and I finally found the press release on Towerheads!

By the way, has anyone read Alice’s account of showing in Italy last week on Towerheads? You need a box of tissues for that…she was the only American competing and happened to win two classes. She said that there were American flags waving in the stands-not for her but for all of us.

Oh I so love it when windbags such as GM have the wind taken out of their sails.

Go Alice, Richard and Clare!

the USET decided not to send those previously selected to compete due to the reasons stated in their press release. That is, of course, their perrogative, and in any event, it seems that logistics of sending a team would have been difficult, if not impossible. However, there are a number of American riders who are presently competing in Europe, among them, Alice Debany Clero, Richard Spooner, and Claire Bronfman…rather than have no American riders at the Nations Cup finals, those riders will now compete. Not sure if they approached the powers that be to ask to compete, or if they were approached and asked to compete–But, if either the USET or USAE would have the poor taste to latch onto any aspect of this situation for the sake of arguing over turf, it would be completely disgraceful in light of the events of the past week. The right thing to do is get behind this team with our full support and best wishes.

GM may think we sent a second rate team, but teh DUTCH Chef chose us to win!

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> )From the Samsung NC web site: After the official draw, each country�s Chef D�Equipe gave his opinion on tomorrows results in the Nations Cup. In an emotional moment, United States Chef D�equipe, Alice Debany, thanked the world�s support after the terrorist attack suffered by her country last week.

She thanked the organization that did everything possible for them to come. In this American rider opinion tomorrow�s winner will be France followed by the Netherlands and her country.

From the Dutch side Bert Romp prognosticated the American team as winner while the Belgian, Spanish and German team leaders choose the Belgian team as the best option for triumph. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They rode really really well in that first round - I am looking for final results.

Hoopoe – do you mean the conflict between USA Equestrian and USET? Or USET and USDF? Or USA Eq and USDF?

Help! We’re drowning in the alphabet soup!

link to Alice’s response

http://chronofhorse.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=691099205&f=1970907951&m=5253048003

Thank you so much for sharing that. I wish I could have been there to see it.

GO USA!!!

I’m sure they will do us proud!

MAD, I got so teary reading Alice’s article! How beautiful

(P.S. What ever happened to The Natural? If I might ask.)

I am still waiting for them to post second roung results, but check out the course maps on this website!! They are interactive with a “follow the bouncing ball” with distances & fence descriptions. Really neat!

http://www.dazelo.com/samsungfinal/web/eng/resultados/default.asp

My heartiest congratulations as well! I am so glad these three people represented the United States…they did us proud.

since they were not sent by the uset but by our NF - USA Equestrian - then that makes them AMERICA’S TEAM doesn’t it?

THIS IS ALICE’S DAY 1 ACCOUNT OF SHOWING IN ITALY.
SHE WROTE THIS TO ME AND KK (Towerheads) AND ASKED THAT I POST IT HERE: (SORRY FOR THE LENGTH, SCROLL DOWN FOR DAY 2)

<<I am showing here in Italy at a CSI-A in Pinerolo. It was a hard decision to come and ride here after all of the tragedies on Tuesday. On Tuesday, the horses were already three quarters of the way to Italy as the events of the day unfolded. At one point, I asked my groom, Manu, to turn around and come home. So he turned around on the highway. I thought about it again for a few minutes and decided that our lives must go on, and if they don’t, it is exactly what the terrorists wanted: to paralize us as a nation. So I asked Manu to turn back around and continue to the show. We would hold our heads up and fight.
I decided to wear a black arm band with my red American coat when I am showing. I feel that it is a proper symbol of mourning, and it feels right to me to wear it. Today, all of Europe became silent for three minutes at noon in order to pay their respects to all of the vicims and their families and friends. At noon at the show, they lowered the flag to half mast and everything stopped. I cried my eyes out, which certainly was not the first time since all of this has happened. In fact, anytime I think of all of the people who have perished, tears are very nearby.
It is very touching and comforting to see the entire world’s sympathy for what has happened. Thierry Pommel from France came up to me directly at the show to tell me how much people over here also feel the pain. He was not the only rider to do so, as this was an attack not only on America, but it was an attack to anyone in the world that believes in religious, political, and social freedom.
As it happens, I won the 1m40 class with my 8 year old, Filou Landais. In the prize giving ceremony, they raised the flag up to half mast as they played the Star Spangled Banner. Instead of putting my arm downward in a salut as is customary, I put my hand on my heart as I teared up yet again.
In the 1m50 class, I was second with Jumbo. I couldn’t quite catch Thierry Pommel in the jump-off. I really want, more than I ever have, to raise that flag again. Which is what I vow to to do as often as I can, as the only American in Pinerolo, to show that they can not ever beat the Americans down
Alice (Debany-Clero)>>>

=============================================

ALICE IN ITALY DAY 2:

<<Yet again an exciting day here in Pinerolo, in fact it was nearly a carbon copy of yesterday’s performances. Filou Landais won again today in the jump-off class, and Jumbo was second again to Thierry Pommel in the 1m 50 time first round.
Call me emotional, but again I couldn’t help but cry my eyes out during our national anthem while I watched the flag raise half way up the pole. I’ve always gotten a chill when hearing the Star Spangled Banner, but for now, it has a special double-meaning.
I’m very proud to be competing here this week especially. As the sole American representative here, I feel that people all over the world want to feel a connection with America more than they ever have. By raising the flag twice so far, I think I could be helping some people ease their pain. In the crowd, I have seen several people waving small American flags, not necessarily cheering for me, but cheering for my wounded country.
Tomorrow, just before the Grand Prix, I, and any other rider that wishes to, will enter the ring on horse back and collecively pay our respects to the vicims with another three minute silence. Afterwards, I will say a few words to express the sadness that we all feel. I don’t yet know exactly what I will say, I think I will let it come straight from my heart.

Alice &gt;&gt;

Now I’m confused…

doesn’t the headlines Weatherford just posted say " US pulls OUT of Nations Cup" and further down the article says “the teasm WAS to consist of Alice, Richard et al…”

I take that as meaning the 2nd string team wasn’t going to compete?

Good question about the Natural…I believe he is turned out at a farm in CT., but I’ll check with Alice or our Mom.

Marie

19 faults for 7th. Three of the 19 were time faults. Not bad at all for a three person second string. 16 faults was Germany, France, & Italy - darned good company!

WELL DONE SCRATCH TEAM!

[This message was edited by Weatherford on Sep. 23, 2001 at 04:11 PM.]

Great job Alice, Richard and Clare!!! Great teamwork, sportsmanship and riding! Thanks for making us look good.

“You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.”
–Colette