Unlimited access >

Debbie McDonald withdraws....

Oh no! on DressageDaily.com it saws that Debbie McDonald has withdrawn Brentina due to a medical problem…

good for Debbie for putting the mare’s health above all

oh how sad!!! But I agree, Debbie is always a class act and always puts her horses first!

Any info on what the medical problem is?

Sorry to hear this, regardless. Great Lady. Great Horse.

Team vet Dr. Tim Ober said, “Brentina had a slight swelling after the competition on Wednesday. While a diagnosis is pending further evaluation by USEF veterinary staff Debbie McDonald and Klaus Balkenhol have decided it is not in the best interest of Brentina to ask her to continue in the individual competition at these games.”

Totally with SGray: it’s WONDERFUL to see a top-level rider putting her horse first. Congratulations to Debbie and Brentina - you’re winners in my book!!!

And jingles for the swelling to be a “nothing” and speedily healed.

it’s WONDERFUL to see a top-level rider putting her horse first. Congratulations to Debbie and Brentina

That’s great but I honestly can’t imagine that there are very many at that level who would do anything differently. She said there was swelling and she felt off in the extended trot (tendon or ligament or joint capsule strain?)so why would anyone push that and risk a potentially career ending injury. That would be very short sighted.

it speaks to her long and intimate association with her (equine) partner – which has not always been the situation with our representatives

and to the fact that ego never seems to be a factor in DM’s actions

Quote from the WEG website

Brentina will not compete in the Grand Prix Spéciale
As a result of the withdrawal of Brentina, the mare ridden by Debbie McDonald/USA, (please see following press release by the United States Equestrian Federation), there is an amendment to the list of the competitors qualified for the Grand Prix Special. The two riders in joint 31st place, Marie-Line Wettstein (Switzerland) with Le Primeur and Alexandra Korelova (Russia) automatically take the vacant place left by Debbie McDonald.

Statement:
Brentina and Debbie McDonald withdraw from Dressage Competition at the World Equestrian Games
The United States Equestrian Federation announced today that Brentina and Debbie McDonald will withdraw from the remainder of the dressage competition at the World Equestrian Games due to a veterinary concern.
Team vet Dr. Tim Ober said, “Brentina had a slight swelling after the competition on Wednesday. While a diagnosis is pending further evaluation by USEF veterinary staff Debbie McDonald and Klaus Balkenhol have decided it is not the best interest of Brentina to ask her to continue in the individual competition at these games.”
“It was in the last extended trot yesterday when I felt her take some tentative steps. I rode conservatively in the competition and she went fine, but it was a concern. She seems okay today, but in conferring with our vets, the best decision for Brentina is to withdraw her. We came here to compete for the Team, we have achieved that goal, and we´re very happy.”
Chef d´Equipe Klaus Balkenhol added, “Brentina is a fantastic mare and a true treasure, to do anything but take the conservative route and withdraw her would be very wrong. I´m so proud of Debbie´s ride yesterday, and I´m proud of her decision to withdraw. We look forward to the Special and potentially the Freestyle with Steffen Peters and Floriano and Guenter Seidel and Aragon, both very solid horse and rider teams.”

if she could feel something off the previous day, no doubt that the horse would have been lame enough for the ground jury to spin her. make no mistake, they had no option other than to withdraw. the only other option was to walk up and get disqualified.

Much better to withdraw and downplay a problem than to be failed on the vet check.

Poor Debbie! Best wishes for her and Bretina!

It was disappointing. I was there and saw her ride in the team dressage. Several people around me commented that the mare looked off. Let’s hope that whatever it was/is, it resolves itself quickly.