Unlimited access >

Deer Interference at Fair Hill

8 Likes

that’s a great photo

What a fun article. Love the last part about the trail ride.

2 Likes

I was jump judging – just down the hill at the ditches. I heard the “story” on the radio. She was well under control by the time she got to me!

3 Likes

I am a 3Day bystander. Am I reading the article correctly that she has the space and presence of mind not to cross her own line in returning to the correct fence? Not getting refusal penalty for re-crossing her line?

People smarter than me can correct this but I thought on cross country you are allowed to circle as long as you have not presented to a fence. So out in the middle of the openness between obstacles a circle is fine.

11 Likes

I know nothing of the fine points of the rules, I assume you are correct @trubandloki .

I believe that is correct as well unless the circling is to purposely add time due to going too fast - most likely to happen at lower levels.

2 Likes

Correct. Plus this is an unrecognized starter trial so relatively laid back (and untimed.)

2 Likes

You can’t circle after the last jump but before the finish flags to add time. You can circle elsewhere on course if it’s not between elements of the same fence or after you’ve clearly presented to the fence.

5 Likes

I was most impressed by the next-to-last paragraph. I hope I’m still eventing at age 68! And that I want something “with a little more go.”

12 Likes

You’re half correct, although I don’t think it applies in this situation. The not crossing your line thing is only for fences that are labelled as a combination.

So for example, if you’re coming onto two fences that are labeled fence 3 and fence 4 then you can jump fence 3, do a circle (so long as you never “presented” at fence 4), cross your line 3 times and then jump fence 4. No penalty.

However, if the same two fences are labelled as fence 3a and fence 3b, then the “no crossing your line” rule comes into play.

In this case, I’m fairly sure the rider was out between two separately labelled fences, so she could freely cross her own line.

I am curious though, if the deer had jumped out in front of her at a combination (between a/b fences), is there some kind of caveat to the rules that could waive penalties incurred by a runout or circling? Seems like that would count as some extenuating circumstances to me.

8 Likes

I had this happen hacking out. Deer t-boned us! I don’t have as good a seat. He did a 180 and tossed me. Horse gave that spot the stink eye for a while.
I am sure circumstances would have been considered, as far as any penalties.
And, yes, eventing at 68, you go!

1 Like

I’m curious too - what if this had had a different outcome? How would it be scored?

Nope.

My sister was competing in the then 3* at Fair Hill (circa 2003)when one of the agility dogs got loose, and was running literally between her horse’s legs as they approached a big fence. (There was a picture in an article in COTH earlier this year) They did NOT refuse (and the dog didn’t get hurt), but she discussed it with the TD after the fact, and he confirmed that if she had pulled out after presenting, or had a refusal, it would have been penalized.

More recently, a dog ran out and caused Buck Davidson to have a refusal, and the penalties stayed.

I’m glad everything was ok with your sister! That would have been so terrifying, especially at a 3* level. I also would have been LIVID with that dog owner.

That said, I’m a bit disappointed they wouldn’t have made an exception for something like that. I suppose you don’t want people coming up with reasons left and right for why their horse refused (like “someone had an umbrella!” or “a bird flew by us!”), trying to get the penalties overturned, but I guess I still feel like that’s something like that would be so far beyond the things I would reasonably expect a horse/rider pair to be prepared to ride through.

How would you even prepare a horse to be ok with something like that without posing a seriously dangerous (not to mention unethical) situation to horse, rider and dog?

6 Likes

I was further down the course. From what I gathered on the radio, she circled between elements and never presented to the next fence – so all good. I heard something like “ran into the woods” and thought that was the rider! By the time they got to my part of the course they looked completely under control and fabulous.

1 Like

I remember doing a Pony Club clinic with Michael Page back in the day, with his jack russell terrier running up and around the horses, and him saying it was good preparation in case something like that ever happened on course :laughing:

1 Like

Assuming you were talking about 2009 Rolex, and not some other incident with Buck, apparently the penalty was rescinded.

“Buck Davidson (USA) had his refusal on Ballynoe Castle RM at fence 22 rescinded, after it was agreed the loose dog had been a distraction, moving him up to 19th after cross-country.”

So there is some discretion.

1 Like

Gardenhorse
Thanks for the correction / update

1 Like