Unlimited access >

DEF diesel trucks

Depends on how it got tuned.

For me, I could just go back and reflash on top of their flash. But if you use something like EFI live, you’d be in trouble, if you didn’t have all the gear with you.

1 Like

That’s an area I’m just not smart in. Mine is EZ Lynk tuned but I don’t have the hardware. So if the computer got reflashed, i have no idea how to fix it.

2 Likes

So…I’m trying to understand…does reflashed mean reprogrammed? As in a dealership would wipe the codes and replace them w Ford (as an example) codes so they can work on it???

Yes, it means reprogrammed

Some warranty work will need a reflash of the ECM/PCM. Some won’t. Some flashes are just targeting the area worked on, some are system wide.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m struggling with what to do w my truck. I like it…just hate DEF.

I’m all for getting rid of it. It’s a nuisance that WILL leave you stranded. I would just be careful about taking it in for servicing other than routine maintenance. If it goes to the dealer for such things, do as endlessclimb does and tell them not to touch the OBDII. Or go to an independent mechanic who understands, and is likely comfortable/willing, working on deleted vehicles.

2 Likes

So…if something really goes haywire w it, how does that get sorted out if the computer is reprogrammed?

Haywire with what part? The computer?

You’d have to figure out how to get it reflashed with the delete. Else the truck will “know” that the parts are missing and likely won’t start and/or drive.

2 Likes

It’s not too bad, IMO. I have not experienced any sort of haywire crisis (well, I did with original emissions parts :roll_eyes:). We have 2 diesel vehicles, and for one we just have a tool that we plug into the OBDII to tune it. DH has downloaded various tunes from the tuner that he can program in. The other one is just before all of the DEF stuff, so it has a programmer, but not because of an emissions delete.

So if you get the tool and tunes, you can do as you please, really. If someone has deleted and tuned your truck for you, they may be willing to tell you what you need and show you. It depends. You can find info about it out there, and some people are a bit hush about it, but others are still loud and proud all over YouTube and various forums.

We’re fortunate because we can do all of the maintenance on our vehicles, so we don’t fret over bringing them to a garage.

You can probably tell I know nothing about mechanics. I take my truck in regularly for service. If I “delete” the DEF and took it in to the dealership because it had a problem how would they find it without the Ford codes on the computer? I go to the dealership because they are close and will give me something to drive.

Nowadays, probably not.

Edit: sorry, my answer was a bit weird because I read too fast. I think that nowadays they have to/almost always will want to look at the codes. Now if it were something not code/computer related, then no. For example if you needed a U-joint changed or pinion seal they have no reason to look for codes (that aren’t there) or to into anything computer related.

1 Like

Plugging into the OBD II does not automatically flash the ECM/PCM. They will be able to read codes no problem.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I’m trying to learn stuff by googling, but it is confusing, actually.

1 Like

Oh man, I feel your feels. Keep reading, it will all start to click.

1 Like

Hi NaturallyHappy.

I’ve skimmed thru the responses above, but I would like to inject one consideration regarding the emissions equipment in any new vehicle, particularly a full-sized Diesel truck.
The EPA really has a bug up their butt about this issue (for better or worse; we won’t go there), and have been aggressively pursuing the manufacturers and distributors of hardware to bypass emission controls. That has been pointed out above, but also, be aware that in at least one instance I am aware of, a private owner had his truck confiscated, and destroyed as a result of disabling the emissions controls. That was within the last year or so, IIRC, but I’m disinclined to go searching for the article. Was on “The Drive.com” maybe?
So if you do ultimately go that route, do not subsequently take it into a dealership, or really any “authorized” service center, for any reason whatsoever. They will pull your OBDII data, and they will discover that the Emissions system has been compromised.
Probably your best/safest option will be to find a good used pre-DEF model, and resign yourself to providing for it as needed. I have an old Subaru, and an old Toyota truck that both predate OBDII/Drive-by-Wire technology, that I keep around for similar reasoning, just FWIW.
Actually a quick search turned up that article. Here it be:
https://www.thedrive.com/news/diesel-ram-owner-forced-to-scrap-truck-over-deleted-emissions-equipment

4 Likes

Thank you for this. I am not going this route. I’m not much of a risk taker.

2 Likes

my son just a few years ago (2022?) bought a 1995 F250 4by4 5 speed manual 7.3L for $5,000 then had the engine replaced with a crate factory rebuilt 7.3 of the proper age for $6600, then had the brakes completely replaced also all engine accessories where replaced with new or factory rebuilt, then complete detail of interior. Total cost was $15,000 including the purchase of the truck. (The garage asked him to come and get it as people were pestering them trying to buy the finished truck, the was offered $25k Cash)

He did this after having an issue with a newer diesels DEF system, never again was his comment.

4 Likes

Clanter, a decade or so back when I was in the market for a beefier pickup to save wear-n-tear on my poor little T100 pulling the horse trailer, I looked at a . . . '91 (? I think; one of the first years with EFI) F250, same specs as your kids; 460cu, 5spd, 4X4, 11-12MPG empty. $2500; ran, needed TLC.
Then I found my “current” truck, a '10 Tundra with everything already set up the way I really wanted; 5.7l, RWD, Crewcab, Flatbed with gooseneck hitch, air suspension, etc. The feller I got it from was up front in telling me that it would randomly throw a CEL (Check Engine Light) and go into limp mode.
I test-drove it hard, and it ran great. I’m a pretty good wrench, and figured “How much trouble can it be?”. That was naive; most any CEL on a newer vehicle can presage a whole bunch of misery; in this instance I determined the CEL was related to the Variable Valve Timing, and a “proper” repair was estimated at about $4K :-P.
If nothing else, George has taught me about “stubborn”, and I did eventually craft a low budget DIY fix, but I suspect most owners would have had to fork out for the engine work. And it still tosses an occasional CEL . . . I keep a OBDII tool in the glove box.
Anyway, at the time I was regretting not getting that elderly Ford, I can tell you that. There’s just something about a Stone Axe, and particularly when hauling The Large Children.

2 Likes

I just wanted to say this entire thread is making me thankful for my decision to put a new engine in my '03 Dodge instead of getting a newer truck with the DEF garbage. So thank you all!

6 Likes

I have 2001 F350 with a 7.3 Diesel and only 175K miles. The body is slowly rusting away and I have thought about getting a southern body and swapping the engine.

3 Likes