Unlimited access >

DEF diesel trucks

Has anyone deleted the system? What happens when you do that? Did you keep the parts to reinstall if you trade the truck? I love my truck…but the DEF system is a problem. It’s been in the service department more than it’s been home lately. Thanks.

We bought ours, used, and it had already been deleted and after 2 yrs there’s not been a problem. A tad bit noisy but runs well. No maintenance issues.

1 Like

See my old thread. I deleted the system and now when I get in the truck I don’t see the “check engine” light most of the time. In fact truck runs great. I just could not justify a 10 to 12k repair on top of all my other repairs to all the DEF components. I don’t know why the system is so complicated. All you are doing is squirting some distilled water plus urea into the exhaust when it comes out of the truck. As long as the truck runs well I am not selling it so I will address that issue when and if it comes up.

1 Like

Thanks! I did a search but apparently not in a manner to find your thread. Does it make any difference when you take it in for regular service? I take mine to the dealership where I bought it. I really like those guys…

I don’t drive mine a lot so the only service since the deletion has been an oil change and I think I did that at NTB. It didn’t affect that at all. I did see at the dealership in the past, instructions to tell them about any alterations you have done to the truck before they service it so I will ask them before I take it there to be serviced.

1 Like

I found your thread. Thank you. This truck is a 2015 with very low milage. Fingers crossed it gets sorted out.

And this all started as I got the warning message saying it was low on DEF. I used the jug Ford gave me when it was last serviced. Apparently it had gone bad, because the computer read “bad DEF fluid”. They took the tank off and drained it. It’s been back every other day since.

Yes. 99.95% the dealership won’t work on a deleted truck. They will be unable to warranty any work on it.

2 Likes

Thank you. It’s out of warranty. I wonder about recalls…

They won’t be able to warranty anything going forward is what I’m trying to say!

AFAIK, dealers aren’t going to do any kind of work on a deleted truck.

2 Likes

the fines a dealer can be fined for are pretty steep

My son stopped buying diesel engine trucks for his busienss after one with mandated DEF was problematic, there was just not enough cost saving in the fuel economy to ever offset the initial upcharge for the diesel engine and the continued DEF issue. Resale value was not there because of the DEF system problems.

They will still do warranty work if it doesn’t have anything to do with the delete.

You have to tell them “do not flash, do not clear codes, do not touch the OBD II.” I went so far as to hide the obd plug, so if they need it we get to talk about it first. :wink:

6 Likes

IF you can find somebody to “take it out behind the barn” and do the delete, then get it done. Good luck finding somebody, if you can’t do it yourself. The fines are HUGE and even the shops that were doing it are no longer willing to take the chance.
@endlessclimb can tell you a whole lot more about it.

3 Likes

You are correct that the EPA cracked down very hard on this, giving smaller shops fines into the 6 figures. You aren’t permitted to even ask about it on forums and such.

1 Like

Local to me, getting the delete is readily available and widely done if a person has the right connections. It’s considered a given that the trucks are then forever serviced / repaired by an individual or small performance shop.

Presumably folks still consider it worthwhile bc I just saw a brand new Dodge get deleted before it hit 200 miles. Fine by me as Mr LS makes a killing working on these trucks on the side. He won’t do the delete but has no problems working on them after it’s been done.

3 Likes

@endlessclimb, What is the OBD ll plug?

The plug they use for diagnostics and to reprogram the computer. If you delete, this is the plug that’s used to reprogram the computer to trick it into thinking everything is hunky dory.

1 Like

Thank you!

I have no issues taking my truck in for “servicing”. Granted it is just the quick lane for oil changes, filters, etc. I don’t have anywhere out of the weather to do such things so I pay for the convenience and haven’t had an issue. They always ask if I want my DEF topped off and I always tell them “nah, I’m good thanks”. No issue there. I haven’t had it through the “service department” because it is out of warranty and I do my own work with the help of a coworker for major things. Still, I have not heard of issues with deleted trucks going in for work.

Endlessclimb brings up a good point about the OBDII though. You would be in a pickle if they reflash the computer on a deleted truck and you are unable to get that fixed. The shop that tuned my truck (even though I did the physical delete) got hit by the EPA just days after they did my work and I doubt would take the risk of doing delete tunes again.

The original question about a DEF delete, the tank doesn’t even have to be taken off. Just programmed to “delete” it. My tank is still physically installed. Just doesn’t use the bottled cat piss anymore…

1 Like

Thank you … “bottled cat piss” cracked me up!

3 Likes