Unlimited access >

Del Mar Classic

They will never run him in a handicap. He would be given a lot of weight, and I can’t see the connections going for that.

Expect they may be looking to Dubai. Agree about the Pegasus but total career purse money is an important statistic and theres worse places to race then So Fl in the spring plus it only a days travel and in the same time zone.

We also are assuming he remains sound and healthy.

1 Like

My wish to see the Donn reinstated isn’t so Flightline can run in it. It’s because the Pegasus shoved the Donn off the map and the Pegasus hasn’t survived the test of time (a whopping 7 years). In its original form it was a massive failure from the start.

“Handicaps” aren’t really handicaps anymore. Not like they were, which IMO isn’t a bad thing.

Yeah, I agree the Pegasus is a joke.
And I guess handicappers can’t put a lot of weight on a horse because there are so many opportunities to race. Too much weight and the trainer just goes elsewhere.

I’d be surprised if they shipped him to Dubai.

I agree. purse money aside, it doesn’t seem like the stress of the trip and weather adjustment would be consistent with the routine they seem to have for the horse. And if he’s hard on himself… Personally just hoping we get to see him run somewhere in 2023.
The colts come and go so fast, hard to get attached. I’m also now a fan of Moira after she kicked butt in the Queens Plate. Bring her to the Breeders Cup PLEASE!

2 Likes

I doubt they’ll ship him for the Saudi Cup, or whatever it’s called, either. IMHO those big purse races are used in an attempt to legitimize autocratic governments through sport, while their at best dubious, and at worst obscene, human rights abuses continue. But I digress…

If they do race him next year (I really think that decision must be still up in the air) I’d bet they’ll race him in the U.S. Not because I have any knowledge of any feelings by his connections re the dismal human rights records of the UAE or KSA , but because he is not an easy horse and he is an irreplaceable racing and breeding talent at this point in time.

Flightline seems to be a special horse indeed. This year should be a very interesting Breeders Cup, so many good horses. I very much look forward to watching.

He is just stunning to watch on the track, what a magnificent horse.

The Breeder’s Cup, this year, will be one of the most exciting B.C. meets that we’ve seen for quite some time.

6 Likes