Unlimited access >

Del Mar Classic

FLIGHTLINE, holy crap and nice time! WOW.

4 Likes

I’m going to the Breeders’ Cup this year (first time!) and wow, I think I know who to root for in the Classic.

4 Likes

He’s magnificent. He has such a beautiful stride.

It must be a wonderful feeling to ride a horse like Flightline. Flavien Prat is a lucky guy. I bet he’s thrilled. 19 1/4 lengths.
https://www.dmtc.com/racing/race-replays/2022/9/3/3UP8IV0kFVM

2 Likes

He must have had some Redbull…Flightline had wings. Wowza!
Susan

I know that was a metaphor but all I can think of is please no bad tests!

2 Likes

Just stunning. Was surprised he was only .17 under the track record, he looked like a Hunter loafing along by himself, Pratt let him float along the last 8th or so. That horse has more then he showed. Post race discussion on Fanduel (formerly TVG) included an informed observation. Flightline was even a more efficient mover then AP.

During the pre race hype, they showed side by side workouts, one from, IIRC, 4 months ago, and one from last week. In the earlier work he was…rank. Basically ran off. Last weeks work relaxed, smooth, reflective of very thoughtful and consistent training. Difference was jaw dropping. Guess he is just a classic late bloomer surrounded by very patient handlers and ownership.

Yes. just a metaphor. Poorly placed, I suppose. Nevertheless…he flew!

1 Like

Sadler wouldn’t. He’s a homebred of Lyon’s, bred to the nines, and they think the world of him.

Good article reflective of Flightline’s race:

2 Likes

Yes, for sure he is “bred to the nines”! Somewhere I thought I read that he’s hard on himself. Wonder what was meant?

Hard to know without knowing the context in which that was said. He ran through a fence as a yearling and hurt himself and has had some other injuries, but it’s difficult to know if that was what was meant without context.

Jane Lyon of Summer Wind, who bred Flightline and still owns part of him, has withdrawn Flightline’s half brother by Curlin from the Keeneland September sale.

He’s named Eagle’s Flight.

3 Likes

I think I would do the same. That mare seems to be making good babies, and Curlin sure wont hurt on the sire side!

2 Likes

Apparently he’s not been the easiest to work with and requires a good deal of thought. He can get anxious. Plus he’s has some health issues.

Theres a side by side clip of two of his workouts about 4 months apart. In the first he gets rank and basically runs off well past the requested distance, 4 months later, very professional and relaxed. Trainer has taken alot of heat for not racing him more but, luckily, is old school and patient, not afraid to say no. Including to the prevailing belief he needs another race before the BC.

3 Likes

This would be great if it happens!

5 Likes

Wish it were so simple as it was back when horses had single owners or partners able to call the shots without convening a board meeting of all principles.

1 Like

I’m going to venture a guess that Flightline will be standing at Lane’s End, since that entity owns a significant share in him. They’re sometimes game to keep a horse racing past age 3, unlike WinStar (for example).

I expect if he wins the Classic they’ll point him towards that stupid Pegasus stakes. It may have a purse of “only” 3 million next year, but that’s nothing to sneer at.

2 Likes

I hope they choose a more prestigious for him race than the “Pegasus”, if indeed they do run him next year.

1 Like

Same here. That race is a joke, except for the purse. I wish they’d bring back the Donn Handicap.

1 Like