Unlimited access >

DeNiros or Segio Grassos?

I am looking for new tall boots, just for shows. I have narrowed it down to two options; DeNiros or Sergios. I want nice,comfortable, long-lasting boots. I have a very slim ankle, slim calf, and extra-tall leg, so I would probably go at least semi-custom. Please let me know the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks :slight_smile:

I have the Sergios and love them. Very slim fit. I have only had mine for about 3 years but they have held up really well. I only ride in them for shows and clinics though. They fit right out of the box. The first day I had them I also showed in them. Nice soft leather.

I recently got some DeNiros in XS extra tall and really like them so far. I’ve gotten a lot of compliments. Don’t know yet about durability but I hope the last!

Love love love Sergios. Mine have dropped to be too short (not a boot problem, a me problem), but I don’t want to give them up. I’m so sad that I don’t fit the stock boots anymore, and I don’t know if they still make custom boots :frowning: I’m coming on two years owning them and using them for schooling and showing and I have holes through the top layer of leather on both boots, but could definitely be patched. They were very easy to break in for riding, but took a little longer for walking around. I don’t mind walking around in them at all now. I have had both zippers replaced.

I love Sergios!

OnDeck: We had a girl who needed height and our amazing boot guy added 1cm or so of leather and stitched it up so nicely it looked like a custom boot with a trim.

[QUOTE=OnDeck;7446431]
Love love love Sergios. Mine have dropped to be too short (not a boot problem, a me problem), but I don’t want to give them up. I’m so sad that I don’t fit the stock boots anymore, and I don’t know if they still make custom boots :frowning: I’m coming on two years owning them and using them for schooling and showing and I have holes through the top layer of leather on both boots, but could definitely be patched. They were very easy to break in for riding, but took a little longer for walking around. I don’t mind walking around in them at all now. I have had both zippers replaced.[/QUOTE]

I found the same thing with my deniro’s. Comfy to ride in almost from the start (well, I have a crazy wide foot so I had to stretch that out, but the ankle and such felt pretty good I think) but they still are a little uncomfy to walk in (though I haven’t gotten to show much due to being short on money and only wear them to show, and I put them on and take them off the minute I am done riding so they haven’t had much walking around time) But I love the look of the boot.

I have had both. I love them both, and they are quite comparable. The cost of the Sergio’s is a lot more than the Deniro’s and if it comes into the equation at all I would go with the Deniro’s. I am very happy with mine, although I had Sergio’s in the past.

I tried both before I bought my Deniros. To me the Deniro leather seems to be of a higher quality, and the cut was more flattering to my leg. Between those two things and the price point, the choice of Deniros was an easy one for me.

I have the Sergio Grassos and I love them! I have had them for about 6 years. I only use them for shows but compete in 10-12 rated shows a year. They are the perfect fit for my tall, skinny calf and narrow foot. The leather is beautiful and very soft. They have held up very well and I have never had any problems with the zippers or leather wear.

I agree that the DeNiros were pretty comfy to ride in quickly (though I had to leave the top unsnapped at first) but took longer to break in for walking around. I have pretty skinny ankles and wound up using some DerDau boot stretch spray around the lower part of the boot to get them to drop and to loosen up enough so they’d stop rubbing when I walked. I’d say they run a little slimmer than advertized and probably could have gone with small calf rather than extra small. I have the Salento model with the elastic panel on the back which helps some and the ankle broke in pretty nicely after a few applications of the stretch spray.

I was trying to decide between the sergios and DeNiros a few months back. I went with the DeNiros just from a cost perspective. Both are very lovely boots. I will say my DeNiros are excellent quality and absolutely no break-in time. I get lots of compliments, and I like the tiny italian flag logo on the top.

There were added bonuses such as a cover over the bottom and top of the boot over zippers, and a little catch so the zipper doesn’t slip down. The toe in the Salento is square. There are also no laces to tie, and there is a quarter inch elastic by the zipper that allows some stretch.

[QUOTE=Kalele;7446449]
I love Sergios!

OnDeck: We had a girl who needed height and our amazing boot guy added 1cm or so of leather and stitched it up so nicely it looked like a custom boot with a trim.[/QUOTE]

I’ve thought about doing exactly that. Good to know it looks good!

I just got some DeNiro Salentos and they are faaaaaabulous. Lots of compliments so far, and very short break-in time. I had 1 ride where they were fairly stiff, then wore them around the house for a couple hours, and by the end of the next ride they were basically broken in. I haven’t compared them to the Sergio Grassos, but so far a couple people have mistaken them for such, so I assume the appearance is comparable.