Unlimited access >

Denny's FB page

If you haven’t seen it yet, don’t miss the Tamarack Hill Farm FB page (Denny Emerson’s). Old-school practical stuff on every aspect of horsemanship, from the perspective of one who’s been there, done that, and does not suffer excuses, phonies or fools. Wonderful glimpse into what it takes to do it, do it right, and keep doing it into your distant old age!

Recurring themes:

Consistency in training
Rider fitness at any age
Suitability of horse to both rider and discipline
And a whole lot of pictures of riding country TO DIE FOR, both past and present.

Not sure if one should post links here, but just search Tamarack Hill Farm and you’ve got it.

I am not a student of Denny’s and have no financial or other interest. Just love good honest old-school horsemanship stuff.

Enjoy!

He’s generally (generally being the operative word) got a good handle on horses, training, and the horse world. But the times he does miss the mark are, shall we say, sterling examples of where the horse world is 30, 40, maybe 50 years behind the times, and only falling more and more behind in the face of reputable, peer-reviewed research.

And yes, I’m explicitly referencing the post he made the other day about equine motivation and animal behavior at large. But what do I know? I’m just a person who used exclusively R+ to trick train her pet fish because her parents wouldn’t let her have pets with fur.

4 Likes

I stopped following him after the nastiness he displayed after the death of Boyd’s horse Crackerjack.

45 Likes

He was also outed as someone who sexually harassed his working students, so that was me out. Hard pass on Denny now.

48 Likes

I get a bit frustrated when he laments that “NO ONE!” does it the old (right) way anymore. NO ONE breeds TBs for sport. NO ONE competes a mare/stallion, breeds, raises the foals, starts them from scratch. No one follows pedigrees. No one does long hacking out. Etc etc.

Yeah, we do Denny. I do it every day. I just don’t blast it all over social media to 90,000 followers. Because, you know, I’m too busy riding, breeding, training, competing, managing the farm, and living the dream. Working for it…like he says “No One” does anymore. He has some great stuff, I enjoy the historical photos and honest philosophy, but the high & mighty abrasive attitude makes me scroll on rather than read.

66 Likes

Yup, this.

He used to post on here regularly, but bowed out when he realized he could curate the comments on his FB page and delete anyone who disagreed with him.

39 Likes

Yup, this.

He used to post on here regularly, but bowed out when he realized he could curate the comments on his FB page and delete anyone who disagreed with him.

6 Likes

Agreed to all of the above. I bowed out a while ago too.

17 Likes

Same here.

11 Likes

I don’t have that problem here because no one ever disagrees with me.

:smiley:
(Also: I don’t go near FB. Never signed up, never will.)

11 Likes

I will never, ever forgive him for not investigating the nutbag owner that he sent Aberjack to. Who, incidently, was the subject of a thread here on starved horses and shady dealings. I’ve been to the place and met the family; they used to have schooling horse trials at their ranch in Wilton.

13 Likes

I will never, ever forgive him for not investigating the nutbag owner that he sent Aberjack to. Who, BTW, was the subject of a thread here on starved horses and shady dealings long before she acquired the stallion. I’ve been to the place and met the family; they used to have schooling horse trials at their former ranch in Wilton.

I can never, ever forgive him for not investigating the nutbag owner that he sent Aberjack to. Who, BTW, was the subject of a thread here on starved horses and shady dealings long before she acquired the stallion. I’ve been to the place and met the family; they used to have schooling horse trials at their former ranch in Wilton.

Sorry about the triple posts. No idea why.

If you click on edit, you can go down the bottom and delete.

1 Like

thanks! Found more into on Tech pages.

I have not been a fan ever since a friend’s horse died on XC & he told her that if she couldn’t handle that, she needed another sport more suitable for wimps.

He was also very dismissive of another friend who rode with him in a clinic, because, due to her work commitments and the limitations of her horse, she had no desire to compete above Prelim.

All the other reasons given above only reinforce my impression of Denny.

20 Likes

My reason as well, but also agree with EventerAJ. It was getting old even before that.

13 Likes

Oh wow. That’s nasty!

4 Likes

This! I don’t know how he hasn’t been nabbed by SS.

15 Likes