Unlimited access >

Describe the most over-the-top barn you’ve ever seen

I tried my mare at a barn so nice that it was fancier than most peoples’ houses. It had multiple indoors, outdoors, & covered arenas, and the most beautiful barns I had ever seen. It went beyond the matching trunks and tack to just next level perfection. Gorgeous beamed construction, not a single flake of shavings on the floor. The bathroom was nicer than most I had seen in houses.

What struck me most was that there was nobody there. Other than one person who confronted me upon arrival to question why I was on the premises (rudely!!), the only other person I encountered was the pro on my mare.

Now I have in my head “North Salem Fancy” vs everything else fancy.

1 Like

Try the Heilan Equestrian Club - marble stalls anyone?

3 Likes

Hahahahahaha we have a normal wood barn and a chandelier as well!!!

In fairness, it wasnt purchased (from the re-store) for this purpose.

We bought it to hang at the venue where we got married. We bought our farm after and didnt want to get rid of the chandelier so in the barn it is!

It’s 5ft tall and 4 tiers. Beautifully scrolled. I love that thing!! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The horses are standing on plastic grating, which is sad. I wonder what kind of disaster there will be when a horse hops over the barrier onto that marble. Yikes!

5 Likes

I think they have regular stalls but rotate through the display stalls for tourists. I think the regular barn is pretty normal (fancy, but functional).

1 Like

This looks like something you’d see in some sort of weird Hogwarts-ish alternate universe where horses control/run the bank. The stalls just look like concierge desks or something :joy:

21 Likes

So maybe not the most over-the-top farm I’ve ever known of, but certainly the most gorgeous I had ever seen at the time… When I was around 17, my mom was selling some ponies and my TB mare. We took them down to Jimmy Lee’s Belcourt Farm so that the trainer/barn manager Debbie Buchannan could check them out and help us sell them. Aside from being in beautiful horse country (Keswick, VA), the farm was so immaculately cared for and everything had it’s place. The barn had beautiful high rafters, stalls were a beautiful hardwood with polished metal adornments. The aisles were immaculate and had fluffy clean shavings as ground covering. Beautiful photos and ribbons, a tack room that looked show ready at all times, and of course, dozens of gorgeous, well-groomed horses.

I ended up being a working student for Debbie the following summer, it was grueling. Everything was done to an exacting standard. Horses were always to be clean, as was tack. They didn’t have a ton of clients, more sales horses and horses in training. We went to a few shows where I got to show my own horse and a training horse at one show. When we went to show at HITS Culpepper, I was showing my mare, and Debbie said something about the horses getting braided. I announced (rather oblivious to “how things are done”) that I could/would braid my own horse. Debbie looked at me and asked if I was good enough to braid for an A show, It never occurred to me that I might not be, when it came to braiding, my mom and I always did our own. I told her I thought I was. Turns out I was.

While I was a working student, we really did not do things like muck stalls, that was for “the help”. Except one day, and the guys were running late. We weren’t supposed to bring the horses in for breakfast until stalls were clean if I recall. The other working student was just standing around. I picked up a pitch fork and wheelbarrow and got to work. That surprised everyone lol.

It was my first experience with a barn of that caliber. I also vividly remember that “full training board”, with ALL of the bells and whistles. They actually encouraged boarders NOT to choose that package bc then that set up really high expectations for the horses being ready for the ring along with everything that entails . We basically gave them “full training board”, but at the regular rate just to allow room for error. The rate for full training, show up to the barn and step onto your beautifully prepped horse in 1998? $900. Which is not far from what many of us pay for a much more basic board these days :sweat_smile:.

5 Likes

I’ve never heard of deliberately putting shavings in the aisle. Sounds like a lot of work to keep clean, especially in such a detail-oriented barn! What was the floor made out of that it required shavings over the top, and what was the day-to-day maintenance of keeping it spotless? Was it cleaned like a stall? (Sorry if there are stilly questions, I’ve never seen this done so I’m simply curious!)

1 Like

It’s been a while, so I am trying to remember. It was cleaned like a stall, but it didn’t get crazy dirty, horses were usually in their stalls or grooming stalls. I honestly do not remember what the base floor was, but I would guess some sort of sand/clay base? I really think it was more for show than was necessary.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I’ve seen the photo in the thumbnail before but I didn’t know where it was from.

It was super interesting to look through all the photos. I had no idea this place existed, or broke the record for the “largest horse dressage ever attempted” :joy:

I found it funny that in these beautiful elaborate stables where money is clearly not a problem, the zebras were wearing poorly fitted nylon halters. Makes me scratch my head. I guess maybe zebra heads are shaped differently so it’s hard to find a halter that fits? Even so, you can custom order them fairly easily. My horses live in broken down sheds but have nice leather halters. I would never let them wear nylon. But I’m a total halter snob so…

4 Likes

It’s great. The barn still looks like this at Belcort and the aisleway is also super for riding in in bad weather and breaking babies.

4 Likes

I love this. All along you were the right stuff.

2 Likes

Popping back in to add:
While only moderately eye-popping, I boarded at a newly-minted 16-stall Showplace.
Built by a client of my trainer with more $$ than horse sense :smirk:
Rubber pavers in the aisles, auto-waterers with a monitoring system, auto-flyspray in each stall, awesome pin & chain system of locking stall doors.
Kept spotless by staff, stalls picked 3X daily, hooves picked when brought in from T/O.
Upstairs viewing room had full glass panels overlooking Olympic-sized indoor, a full kitchen with Amish bespoke cabinetry, a bedroom & bath with shower (for visiting clinicians).
Downstairs had a powder room (for boarders) tackroom had a washer/dryer < laundry done by staff.
All decor anyone would be happy to have in their home.
Landscaping in progress when we moved in, had trucks bringing in full grown trees.
40ac included a full Cross Country course designed by a local Trainer/Eventer, with fences from BN to Training, including tables, a creek crossing, Tiger Trap & Owlhole fences.
Besides our trainer, DH & I were the only ones who used the course.
BO had a Saint of a TB who carted his Sack-of- Taters style around the course until he fell off & broke an arm. Pity :unamused:
Shortcomings were:
*Only 4 not-that-large fenced pastures. Limiting horses to 4h daily turnout :rage:
*Pasteworming by staff only, at a cost (this was mid-90s) of $20/horse. My offer to provide empty paste tubes and/or have staff observe me dosing my own horses, was declined :confused:
*Vet/vax schedule that made sense if this were a Sales barn or racetrack - otherwise overkill.
When I’d call my vet to schedule, they’d say “Again?”
Add a ledger each vet had to sign noting which horse(s) seen & what was done. IMO, insulting to the DVM.

We left when weekly lessons became mandatory & were added to your bill whether or not you took them* & full board was taking nearly my entire paycheck.
*Asshat BO said “Consider it like Greens Fees”

In the 7th year operating, Feds informed Asshat he could no longer claim losses/deductions & business was now a Hobby. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
At which time he donated the whole place to a Theraputic Riding organization with an existing barn in a nearby location.
It’s still going strong, Asshat is a contributor (because: Deductions), but the place is showing wear.
Good Things:
*Turnout pastures have been greatly expanded.
*They hold Dressage shows with Rated Judges 2X a year
*While the Cross Country course has been taken down, trails have been groomed for Driving as that is now part of their program.

My Club has been invited to drive there a couple times & they held their 1st Driving Fun show in July. Hoping for a repeat in 2023 :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I have a friend who rides at an all white barn. From the pictures Ive seen even the wash stalls are all white (and spotless) and the artwork in the aisles are nicer than my home. They also have an aqua treadmill, bemer, and infrared solarium on site. Each stall has adorable lantern style lights outside the stall, iron chandeliers and antler chandeliers. Its all beautifully landscaped with palm trees, white patios, etc. I just really want to know how you keep a wash stall so white…

2 Likes

I read “Olympic-sized indoor” as “Olympic-sized indoor POOL” and I got very, very excited.

1 Like

:laughing:
If someone had told Asshat this was good for horses, we might have had one!

@victoriakent Pressure washer :sunglasses:

1 Like

Maybe I should paint my kitchen with similar paint LOL!

5 Likes

Obviously a destination for my bucket list: an Australian competition center that also wins architectural awards Willinga Park

2 Likes

Well it appears you don’t like it.
For the rest of us, it’s amazing.
Maybe it’s not the most conservation-crazy place, but really, what horse show or large venue is? Please share… because this is gonna be good.

Let’s clarify, the AC feels freaking AMAAAZING when you’re melting in the Fl summer (and really spring and fall) heat. When you live in the south and most barns don’t have indoors and only some have covered arenas, it’s incredible.
Can’t speak for the western arena, except for the few times we went over for Special Olympics or random western events. Never felt like I was choking dust.
I never drove ANYWHERE and a lot of people did not for my first 2 years here. I think I took our golf cart only handful of times. They have electric golf carts if you must drive.
Their manure pickup is in large industrial garbage cans. It’s literally the most organized thing I’ve ever experienced. They’re at least 45 gallon… so the “small breakable plastic containers” is a bit much. You make it sound like it’s a kitchen waste basket. Spare us.
You’re also driving to dinners and hotels at any away show. So not sure how that’s environmentally more savvy… and don’t even get me started on trekking around Tryon if you’re sold out of the cabins. It’s at least 10 miles in any direction to get anywhere else for lodging unless you AirBnB… and food and gas are about the same.
The stadium AND concourse both have shaded areas at WEC… so not sure you’re really aware what’s happening there? In addition, there are shaded areas for participants and horses that are structures near the rings, so that you don’t have to deal with tents or standing out in the hot sun. Spectators have pavilions viewing areas with seating that are shaded, as well.
If you work in environmental science and conservation, you probably should skip any horse show in FL, since it’s one of the only places that actually recycles. Spoiler alert: Ocala does not recycle and. suspect that most of FL also doesn’t have it mandatory. You don’t have recycling pickup and can bring certain recyclable items to the public works area.
I think the majority of people love it and appreciate it as an alternative to boiling in the hot sun and humidity… and hey, I’ll take an AC arena over melanoma and sunstroke any day… but that’s just me and my personal science.

8 Likes

Meh. Find me a horse show or large event venue that’s saving the earth honestly.

3 Likes