Unlimited access >

Describe the most over-the-top barn you’ve ever seen

You noticed that too​:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

LOL I think you might be onto something…

If we’re talking drool-worthy farms… Ravenswood Farm in Bedminster is up there. It’s stunning outside and inside. https://eqliving.com/ravenswood-farm/

2 Likes

Has Gladstone been mentioned? I participated in a multi-day clinic held there. Funny to see my humble little girl looking out at me from a brass-topped stall. Nearly as amazing as the building is the flooring. Firm but with “give”, and they have a system where urine drains down a center channel and magically disappears. We were stalled on the lower level, and I’d use the indoor horse ramp to access the upper level where the arena was located. It gave me a chance to walk past the stalls with nameplates of the notable horses who had been stabled there in the past, on their way to the Olympics. :relaxed:

https://www.uset.org/historical-hamilton-farm/

6 Likes

@AwiUsdi, I think of the USET stable’s architecture as I commute via Grand Central Terminal. How wonderful that you stabled at Gladstone for your clinic. I visited many times when I was young and drop in as an adult every few years.

2 Likes

@ZuzusPetals it was an incredible experience! (especially that flooring system :wink:)

1 Like

Wild Turkey in Oregon!

3 Likes

As someone who has dreams about building my own barn someday, I’m very intrigued about how they constructed the stalls to allow the urine to drain out. Off topic for this thread, but does anyone happen to know if there’s documentation on how they constructed the stalls or if there is a name for that drainage method?

1 Like

@drop_shot, sloped impervious stall floor and French drain

1 Like

You could probably also call the USET, they may give you more details and maybe a POC.

They look like equine concierges.

1 Like

This place isn’t especially fancy but well thought out. I’ve audited a few clinics here.

https://www.saddlebrookridge.com/virtual-tour

1 Like

What a beautiful facility! Well designed beats fancy any day of the week. I love the boxes they have in front of the stalls for grooming equipment/blankets. They look big enough to put a decent amount of stuff, but not too bulky that they stick out into the aisle.

Madden Mountain definitely falls into well-designed for me. These are their retirement barns. I’m not sure if they have a similar video for their competition barn/horses, but I’ve seen snippets here and there in other videos and they seem to have made some pretty solid usability/design choices.

11 Likes

They had a designated tack cleaning room, a massage room (for humans), and closets for storing out of season blankets. There was an area between the barn and indoor for farriers to park and work on the horses. I remember being there in colder weather and the barn was cool with lots of fresh air.

1 Like

Southern California Equestrian Center in Somis, CA has a chandelier in the barn. The facility used to be owned by Zsa Zsa Gabor and host rated dressage shows. This is my friend Lana at the facility.

1 Like

So I actually inquired with the Maddens about retirement board for a horse and got a reply from John himself with a rate that was ABSURDLY reasonable given the quality of care and facilities. I ended up going a different route for this particular horse (he was a bit further away to begin with), but I absolutely foresee sending a horse there down the line.

13 Likes

Dang this is goals. Everything is so thoughtfully done. Even if you don’t have all the land JMS does, there are a lot of good ideas to take away when thinking about building and maintaining equestrian property.

Yeah absolutely - even in their other videos, it is so so apparent how much thought is put into every aspect of their program. If ever the day comes when I get to set up my own barn, these videos will be the first place I go.

2 Likes

I don’t think this place is over-the-top (which suggests a bit of tackiness), but it’s very, very nice (scroll down, there are pictures on the front page) in a classic kind of way (but the people are super-nice and approachable):

3 Likes