Unlimited access >

Describe the most over-the-top barn you’ve ever seen

The thread reminds me of two places in particular.

One was an Arabian halter horse show/sales barn. This was back in the days of these horses being seen as “collectables” and status symbols. (Before tax rules changed) The stalls were not absurdly over the top, that was reserved for the places the clients or buyers would see. Those people would be ushered into the lobby complete with chandelier and up the staircase to the lounge with leather chairs, a bar and fancy sound system. Then they turned on the special effects lights and the smoke machine in the arena while the horse was prepped out of sight. The first the buyer saw it was when it charged into arena, snorting and flagging its tail while inspiring music played!

The other place I went to audit a clinic. T shaped barn with numerous grooming and washing stalls. Dark wood and brass stalls, but more impresssive to me, all the stalls had outside windows the horses could stick their heads out of and pleny of grassy paddocks that were actually used. Beuatiful outdoor arenas and hacking paths. Lovely indoor with windows that could be rolled up like garage doors all along the long side. I was impressed at the though about use and horse comfort. But then… for some strange reason there were life size statues of large zoo animals sprinkled around the grounds. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Was the Arabian place in New Jersey?

Nope, CT

1 Like

Idk to me it’s just really over the top to put any crazy decorations in the pathways to the indoor at WEC lol like why. I competed there recently with a really seasoned horse who is really spooky to walk around and some people had a horrible fountain on the wall facing the pathway and my horse was terrified of it. In a more open space I could deal with my horse’s anxiety properly but in an already narrow space not including your stupid tacky fountain and with oncoming traffic of other horses trying to get to and from the arena I don’t really have much of a choice but to get off and hand walk :joy: idk when I see stuff like that I just think whoever put this here probably has never walked their own horse to the arena.

The horse is fabulous in the ring and will without a doubt clear every course no matter what and I’m thinking of taking someone there with her soon who is pretty beginner but rides amazing for someone so new and is super excited to do the .65s and that fountain haunts me :joy: part of me wants him to just hire a groom for that show but he loves taking care of the horse so much I don’t think he’ll want to but I also don’t think he’ll be safe to handwalk her either :joy:

lol don’t know what to do! Throw your fountain in the garbage :joy::joy::joy:

Beautiful and workmanlike: https://www.advalkdressage.com/

UGA keeps there barn at 60 degrees in the winter, not sure about summer. I’m for it! :rofl:

1 Like

Is the turn out those 3 tiny pens next to the round pen?

1 Like

How many horses share the 3 little paddocks? It doesn’t look like the surrounding fields belong to the barn.

1 Like

I wondered the same thing when I read "we feel that it is important for “horses to be horses” and they therefore all enjoy time in the paddock daily” on their About page.

Standing in a tiny pen alone is not allowing “horses to be horses.”

1 Like

not a snob. just sane. down with non-leather halters- just too easy to get hurt in.

1 Like

Swoon. In this Beezie video starting at 1:13 it’s as though you’ve died and gone to Baker sheet heaven, and welcoming you is Saint Voltaire.

That shows you my sad priorities. I’m not drooling over the spectacular riding and horses, but the sheet inventory.

1 Like

Here’s the same video on YouTube Link instead of FB which the board will hide every time.

4 Likes

Irony: I’m not even on FB. Thanks, @Xctrygirl

1 Like

Pretty normal in large swaths of Europe. There just isn’t that much land. I’ve lived in places (and been in barns) with similar turnout and most horses seem plenty happy. Hours and hours of grassy, group turnout is lovely if you have it, but it’s just not reality for a lot of us.

There is a very nice stable in Southern Pines, North Carolina (well, there are many) however this was formerly a house, then converted to a stable. They retained the stained-glass windows, etc.