Designing the small, terrible horse repository

I love my thick coated wire fence too. But, my thought is there has got to be a place for her somewhere versus all the work to bring and keep her home. Are you really sure she can be there alone and not stressed? It’s a lot of work and I think more work than you are realizing IMO.

I grew up with them at home and then boarded for the past 30 years and thought oh this will be a breeze. Finally built and WOW was I wrong. I’d do it all over again yes I would but WOW. And I just have two. One more than you and let me tell you what…

She needs access to a comfy place to rest and lay down and a dry lot. Otherwise it’ll all turn to mud, right? Why put in all that to leave in a few years hopefully. Just my 2c.

Just because she does not play well with others does not mean she will not go apeshit crazy being isolated from all other equines. Especially if she is having neuro problems where she is feeling compromised and will be depending on a herd to defend her and keep her safe.

That is a pretty pasture but horses are incredibly destructive to grass if kept out on it 24/7. Especially in a wet climate or during winter if you are in a freeze/thaw cycle. Never underestimate their ability to take nice grass in a small turnout area and reduce it to a gushy mess.

2 Likes

DH says “you’re all insane.” :rofl: I considered the garage as a last resort during hurricane season one year when the barn I was at was…not built well.

1 Like

OP, if you’re in Maryland, you must have a shelter for your horse - it’s part of the state “minimum standard of care for equines”, so factor the cost of that in. They say that trees and natural barriers may be considered shelter, but I’m not sure your space would meet that.

2 Likes

from the first post by OP

I am zoned for horses as a limited use.

Most or nearly all of the suggestions to just throw up some sort of structure cheaply is possibly prohibited by what ever governing agency that controls the zoning use

Sure things like a carport could be use but is allowed?

We have to deal with zoning in every aspect of keeping our animals in the city down to limits on the number of structures permitted on a lot no matter what the size of the plot is, limits on the percentage of lot coverage, set back distances, types of materials allowed to use to build a structure … the list seems to be endless as these lists of can/can not do are created by others who do not have livestock but do want to ensure their was of life is not interfered with

I spent ten years on our city’s Planning and Zoning Board (P&Z) mainly to make sure the ordinances were written in a way that protected the rights of both sides

I have horses at home (a larger and more elaborate layout). At minimum you’re going to need SOME sort of 3 sided shelter for her. There are going to be times when it rains for 4 days straight or the sun bakes down oppressively and she needs somewhere to get out of it. You will also need a level, safe place for the farrier/vet/you to work. Again…sometimes in the rain, etc. I don’t think it’s wise to go without at least a run in shed and some sort of gravel pad with an overhang next to it.

I also think you’re going to have to have a companion, even if it’s a mini donkey or mini horse or something. Being alone on your property is totally different than being turned out alone in a boarding facility where she can see other horses.

Honestly, it’s going to be a bunch of work to set this up, only for the setup to be kind of non-ideal and a hassle. You would probably be better off retirement boarding, even if you have to send her farther away. I know that’s not what you want to here… but I have horses at home in a much more efficient setup and I can tell you that what you’re proposing will be much less than ideal and probably more work than you’re anticipating.

3 Likes

I’d skip the top rail if I could redo.
It’s gotten cracked in places, only a cosmetic fail so far & retensioning means doing 2 lines per rail.
Not a deal breaker, but I’m lazy (less is more).
Otherwise the coated lines have stood up to horses grazing through them < that Greener Grass thing :roll_eyes:
Occasionally this pops a staple on the outside of a post, but it’s no problem to pound one back in.
I’m exceedingly lazy about walking my fencelines to check staples, retension, etc.
The most maintenance I’ve done in 20yrs was to splice a single top line along one length between posts & reinforce 9 posts that had been pounded in by machine originally & needed concrete to stabilize.
First repair was done by a friend, I paid a company for the post repairs.

Of the 2 new subdivisions making my life hellish, one that advertises “Luxury Rental Single Family” has 176 units. As they go up, it’s laughable how close they are built to each other.
Postagestamp yards. :roll_eyes:
Rumor has it they will rent for $3K/mo.
That’s about 1/2 what a house in town, with an actual back yard, would cost.
Adjoining development is sales & no idea how many units, but a nearly equal amount of acreage involved.
In hindsight, it appears the Zoning Bd oopsed! & the road closure extending South from the SR intersection for about 2mi to these new builds is intended to widen the 2-lane road for the future increased traffic.
That’s a headscratcher, as there are already a couple existing homes & 4 more subdivisions going right up to the 50’ easement on the developed side.
Road closure means I have to go 5+mi out of my way to get anywhere.
Further if I want to avoid the next plague: the Roundabout :persevere:
They’ve gone up everywhere, most making zero sense if slowing traffic is the intent.
Newest is going up on the SR & even after the side road reopens (October!) will mean I can’t get to my feedstore - a whole 4mi away - without using one! :tired_face:
Prize goes to the frontage road behind a strip of businesses to either side, accessible from the main 4-lane road & going for about 2mi.
There are THREE roundabouts on that road! :exploding_head:

1 Like

the townhouse developments are Zero Lot line being built in units of eight to ten townhouses as a single building putting nearly thirty units on an acre

Before we bought here we looked at nice place that abutted open ranchland. Really liked that place but thought my luck a trailer park would be put in there, turned out worse as the land was sold to a school district which built a regional high school football stadium with the parking lot running up to the fence line, Parking lot is used by the high school marching band as a practice area for their band shows. I am pretty sure our horses would not have enjoyed listening to that.

1 Like

You and me both. :rofl:

I’m not sure how many years old my fence is, it was here before us. The previous owner clearly did zero maintenance, so I had to put a little effort in to get it up to snuff. But ever since then (3 years ago) I basically do nothing to it.

I have a corner brace I need to rebuild and have been putting it off forever, but the fence is “fine” without it. I have some staples I need to replace; I’ll get to it when I get to it. Every now and then on an exceptionally hot day, it starts looking the slightest bit saggy and I think, “I might need to adjust the tension.” Then the temp falls and it’s fine.

1 Like

My mom had 1.9 acres with 3 horses in Littleton, CO that back up the high school football stadium. The horses didn’t care.

1 Like

One thing you could consider is having her home summer/fall and boarding her winter/spring, or whenever your wet season is. You will still need some form of shelter and fencing but the destruction will be so much less, as will the management. And you could fence a much smaller space.

1 Like