Unlimited access >

Developer proposes moving horses' graves... TOPIC MORPH TO LAND CONSERVATION

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glimmerglass:
The PEC as I recall wasn’t exactly been against the Salmander Inn which no one can say is in the best interest of Middleburg from an environmental standpoint <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmmmm…point taken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
The “big city” of Warrenton is growing by leaps and bounds with whatever farm land left being gobbled up. While I don’t know this man from Adam - and I don’t live in Fauquier Co. - I did appreciate what he was saying in his own word about how development is ruining the area: http://www.citizenet.com/opinions/letters/090904/letter3.shtml <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don’t know how much more I can read. It’s depressing.

Yes, Poltroon, if you could share the release copy? Is it signed, or just enclosed with other disclosures?

Think of it, a multi-state strike back!

I can see it now “listen little country wannabe, you move here, you put up with the stinky manure pardner.” Said in my best John Wayne voice…

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bea:
No matter where we all are, these problems are coming upon us. And as everyone has stated, there are no easy answers.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, th ere ARE easy answers. Get the local zoning changed. PERIOD. Zoning is hte law that says what can be built where, and how much. The zoning is done at the LOCAL level – by your local zoning board, the county, the city, WHOEVER has the local authority. And these people are VERY approachable – and usually are elected by you and me. PLUS – they can generally use HELP – YOU can make the laws!!!

Zoning is certainly a double-edged sword. It is hard to write any ordinance that will preserve the rights of the Good while simultaneously thwarting the Ugly.

Your local governing body that handles zoning ordinances is a key factor. If they are good guys, things seem to work out. If they are bad guys, the richest and ugliest developers will have a field day, building a two hundred home “Fair Oaks” development on a parcel after removing all but two oaks. But it takes vigilance.

Pay attention to things that don’t seem relevant. For example, widening or paving roads frequently lead to more development, more traffic. Think about where you want traffic to go, and not go in the future.

Stegall, I would buy your book. I think there are a lot of people out there who want to live in a more rural environment if they can. But they can’t figure out how to make a go of it so they buy 5 acre suburban plots, and add to the sprawl.

One thing that I thought was GREAT when I bought my property was that among the disclosures was a “Right To Farm” statement that basically said the County of Mendocino is dedicated to preserving farmland and so my neighbors could be stinky and noisy and have animals all they wanted, and that by signing this form I acknowledged that I had been informed of this.

What’s great about this is that it’s essentially free - just another in a large sheaf of disclosures - but it sets a tone and perhaps keeps some of the more fastidious townies away.

Here are the graves to be moved

HAMBURG PLACE BURIALS:

John Madden burials:
Thoroughbred Stallions:
Ogden (c. 1894-1923)
Plaudit (c. 1895-1919)
Sir Martin (c. 1906-1930)
Star Shoot (c. 1898-1919)

Thoroughbred Broodmares:
Ida Pickwick (f. 1888-1908)
Imp (f. 1894-1909)
Lady Sterling (f. 1899-1920)
Miss Kearney (f. 1906-1925)
Princess Mary (f. 1917-1926)

Standardbreds:
Hamburg Belle
Major Delmar
Nancy Hanks 1886
Silicon
Siliko

Polo Pony:
Springtime

Preston Madden burials:
Thoroughbred Stallion:
T. V. Lark (c. 1957-1975)
Thoroughbred Broodmare:
Pink Pigeon (f. 1964-1976)

See also: Thoroughbred Times (“Development would move Kentucky Derby winner Plaudit’s grave”)

excerpts:

Further development on land that housed the expansive Hamburg Place on the southeast portion of Lexington would require that the gravesites of 18 Thoroughbreds, including 1898 Kentucky Derby winner Plaudit, be moved to make way for a Wal-Mart and Home Depot

John Madden founded the farm as a Standardbred operation and five of the horses buried in the cemetery are Standardbreds, along with one poly pony. The Thoroughbreds buried in the cemetery include 1961 champion turf horse and leading sire T. V. Lark and one of his daughters, stakes winner Pink Pigeon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EventerAJ:
But Versailles Rd is still mile after blessed mile of rolling fields and fences. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, take another look. With the exception of Keeneland and Calumet, it’s getting a bit crowded along the Lexington-Versailled corridor. A HUGE car dealership just opened up and there are a lot of streets and sidewalks being put in for something…

Part of the problem is taxes. I’m not very educated on this, but don’t the cities/counties get more tax income from developed land? So what would be their incentive to discourage development?

Oh no, I saw Poltergeist. The developers won’t REALLY move the horses and then everyone will be in REAL trouble!

It is a great book. And I live in a not so big house. It’s under 800sq ft and we love it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And, the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING in predicting development: SEWER LINES!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup… also look out for long-term plans in your area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J Swan:
Windsor -
Look into the Piedmont Environmental Council, American Farmland Trust, Land Trust of Virginia - I’ll try and think of some others. I’m perimenopausal and have no memory. lee posted above and had some good ones. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks–was familiar with PEC but not the others, and didn’t know if, among the ones I was familiar with, some were more influential/effective than others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I have to say that I’m not against development. Folks deserve a decent place to live. But I think we’re all being sold a bill of goods. Know what I mean? Bigger. Faster. More. Shinier. I don’t think it’s healthy emotionally of physically for us. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well said!

They want to integrate the graves so they are more accesible to the public? What are they going to do? Put them in the toy aisle next to the Breyer display?
Another reason to dislike developers. Just how many Wal-marts do we really need in the world.

…and I agree, too many people in the world too.

There are even programs trying to match young aspiring farmers to older farmers - just trying to keep the small farm going.

The PDR program is great, as are agricultural and forestal districts, conservation easements - there are a million tools to preserve land.

But heck - in Virginia a locality doesn’t have the right to determine its own growth. Stupid Dillon Rule. Comprehensive plans are challenged constantly. Might as well not have one.

It doesn’t matter that a person wants to farm, and keep his land, and live a rural life - warts and all. And it doesn’t matter that many in the community feel the same way.

Once you have been targeted, you’re done. You’ll be forced out. You become an anachronism. You can’t pay the taxes, farming equipment is atrociously expensive, regulation is killing you - and you work killer, backbreaking days, have to be part veterinarian, mechanic, plumber, accountant, etc.

Every time I see a sign for an auction - I want to cry. Because I know what’s happened.

Glimmerglass, that is just plain WRONG. Don’t let Coreene see it! And I take great exception to the fact that one of the TRULY ugly homes is called “Keeneland.”

oh, I was able to look today but not post until I got home, so I had to sit and painfully wait for my day to end to come and get back into this topic. .

Need to preface some things:

First, In rereading my post to you giddy-up, it sounded snipy, and I apologize, as I didn’t mean it that way. I can only blame my extreme sleep depravation while posting on a very dear subject to me.

Because of the fact that I am so very close to this issue, I want to make a few things clear. First, as has been noted, there is no one easy solution. (If there was, probably 1,000 people, myself included, would have fixed it by now).

Also, I am not blaming the developers exclusively. Yes, I do believe there are good and conscientious developers. I have seen a few places that are “equine communities” which have been done very nicely. Also, I am not opposed to development in general. Unfortunately, I think that not enough developers put the thought/planning/consideration into what they are doing-unlike those mentioned here. My own town is a case in point, we have several little neighborhoods which have gone up lately which are not only an eyesore, but one is currently causing significant erosion and drainage problems, which have succeeded in polluting a pond across the street and annoyed surrounding property owners. Our town currently has no historic district, no (enforced) open space policy, and at the moment Cumberland farms has just come in and made on offer on a historic mansion in town built circa 1816 in order to raze it for a store and gas pumps. (which by the way is across the street from the same thing owned by 7/11). The current situation has been created in part by our lax zoning officials.

And, sometimes people don’t realize that sprawl is insidious. Its more than just losing a farm. Its increased property taxes for residents, increased crime, traffic congestion, higher food prices, its a long list of negative impacts.

Personally, I wish there was more of a push for revitalization and infill. In other words, find those properties in need of rebuilding and go to work. As has been mentioned here as well-its not the elimination of growth, but the “smart growth” that is better. Some towns have been successful in this, but sadly, most have not.

So, Giddy-up, I don’t see you as the enemy, and I wish more developers were like you. Then maybe I wouldn’t have to be so anxious to post here on COTH . The sad thing is that for people like me, who have been doing this for so long, you begin to get burnt out. Its discouraging to fight ten battles and only win one.

But, I am sure most people know how I feel by now.

So, what can a person do? As said before, join organizations, thats an important step. Especially the small nonprofits, they are always hard up for dollars. Some of the reccommended ones are excellent places to start; the Equestrian Land conservation Resource (ELCR), The Amercian Farmland Trust,
The Working Lands Alliance, and something I have not seen mentioned yet, your state Ag In the Classroom programs. The Agricultural Education Foundation in CT (of which I am past President-so here comes the shameless plug), runs educational programs in the classrooms for grades K-12. Its amazing to know that there are many children out there who have no idea where food comes from or have appreciation for the importance of farms. Many states have similar programs. These are important because the children of today are leaders tommorow.

And…for those of you who feel more industrious…
Write a letter to your legislators and tell them how you feel about the subject. They might not have something to vote on now, but if you contact them early and let them know, then they will remember this in the future (trust me on this, I lobby too). Legislators VERY seldom get correspondence from their constituants. Usually only if there is a hugely sensitive issue. SO, to get a letter out of the blue most often gives them a wake up call. Aa a helpful hint, most legisltors are not online so you can even do this by email (how fun is that). To find your legisltors, do a google on your state general assembly, or capitol and go to the state website. they have contact info for your legislator. If not, call your town hall or secretary of state (blue pages of the phone book).

OK, next (if I still have your attention) call your town hall and get a copy of your zoning book. Ask them if they have an open space or farmland protection policy on the books. If not ask WHY NOT??

Write some letters to the editors of your local paper (again-many newspapers now accept letters online).

And finally-JOIN your state Farm Bureaus and Horse Councils. They are the ones out in the front lobbying.

Heck-go wild and buy memberships for all your horsey friends as stocking stuffers.

And the truth of the matter, what annoys me most is when people do nothing at all. Pretty soon, they won’t be able to move away from it. If we get to the point where the farms are greatly reduced, we will have to import the majority of our food (think what that will cost us) and be reliant on other countries to survive. And, most importantly, we won’t be able to afford our horses, or have a place to keep them. I live in fear of that time, and I know its coming sooner than we think…

ok, off the soapbox. If you read the entire post, wow, I’m impressed.

I think this is turning into a very interesting and educational discussion.

I have to chime in and say don’t blame the farmers. I’m running out of people who have actually been to a dairy farm. Not one of the warehouse dairy farms, and actual small family dairy.

I guess we can’t be naive enough to expect things never to change. But this type of change is so ugly I can’t bear to watch anymore.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/local/10210557.htm

Now, I have to tell you. I can’t stand Hamburg Pavilion. It is the most horrible shopping venue in the area and going there is more of a chore than cleaning behind the toilet. It’s become even more fun since the developers have dropped a bunch of plastic-coated snout houses in the immediate vicinity.

I guess it’s better they move the horses’ remains than build a WalMart or whatever over them. Still…

Awww…
You know - I was just thinking that we shouldn’t be surprised that a country that allows development on major battlefields - where thousands of soldiers died horrible deaths - would approve of moving mere horse’s graves.

No respect for the dead, that’s for sure.

Anyone else feel that there are just too many humans in the US?

The saddest parts of that article are the 3300+ homes being built and the fact that this family is already rich from land sales and ground leases. I guess you can’t have too much, even if it means destroying your heritage and moving the graves of champions.

On the topic of farming and getting those interested in it, Northern Otsego Co. New York has been both promoting and strongly attracting Amish farmers. These are often the younger families who want to farm but have been priced (or indirectly regulated) out from doing so Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Kentucky.

Say what you will about the Amish, but I’ve met those who have relocated to NY, purchased baked goods from them, and looked at their horses (large draft horses) - all looked fine. I for one enjoy seeing the active farms on the landscape vs. more urban refugees looking to make a quick buck “fixing up” a farm house, razing the barns and asking $1M.

Otsego 2000 is a nonprofit regional environmental planning organization which has in past printed and distributed brochures to the Amish luring them to upstate. So far they have been a good addition to the area and everyone is pleased.

Upstate NY farming likely will never return to any success as was seen before the decimating policies of (then) Governor Mario Cuomo (unquestionable the worst governor ever in NY) - however there are still ample amounts of run down and dormant farms across the region More power to those who landbank these farmlands and even more kudos to those who go into farming!

Some small ideas:

1. Read the Not So Big House by Sarah Susanka. It talks about the various pressures to build McMansions with More Square Feet … and we end up with houses that aren’t really liveable, with most of the space standing empty. Your library probably has a copy. Read it, digest it, evangelize it.

2. Support infill development and high density in exchange for leaving open farmland on the outskirts. I love the new Paseo in Pasadena, CA with very nice (and expensive) apartments above classy retail, on the site of a previously declining traditional shopping mall. Saves on land space, saves on driving, makes for a vibrant destination.

3. Shop at farmer’s markets. Those are family farmers, and instead of getting a few cents per pound from the brokers they’re getting full retail from you.

BTW, just to make sure our perspectives are in line: 100 houses on 100 acres is probably the epitome of sprawl. 100 dwellings on 1 acre is way better. 20 dwellings per acre may be realistic for most communities.