Unlimited access >

Developer proposes moving horses' graves... TOPIC MORPH TO LAND CONSERVATION

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/local/10210557.htm

Now, I have to tell you. I can’t stand Hamburg Pavilion. It is the most horrible shopping venue in the area and going there is more of a chore than cleaning behind the toilet. It’s become even more fun since the developers have dropped a bunch of plastic-coated snout houses in the immediate vicinity.

I guess it’s better they move the horses’ remains than build a WalMart or whatever over them. Still…

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[B]EQUESTRIAN LAND CONSERVATION RESOURCE (ELCR) RELEASES
NEW PUBLICATION

Equestrian Land Conservation Resource (ELCR) announces the release of a new booklet, Local Planning and Zoning Practices Related to Equestrian Facilities. This booklet provides suggestions and guidelines relating to zoning, rezoning, allowed use, and design considerations of equestrian facilities.[/B]

“The Zoning booklet was developed because of horse owner requests. It is intended to provide insight into zoning ordinances of land intended for keeping horses, giving riding lessons, hosting rodeos, horse shows, or eventing,” states Kandee Haertel, Executive Director of ELCR. The booklet discusses five valuable areas including zoning, definitions of allowed use, design, rezoning, and other considerations.

ELCR’s library of publications also includes:

”¢ Easement Guide for Equestrian Use”"This manual provides language relating to equestrian use that ELCR has extracted from its easement collections.
”¢ Equestrian Economic Impact Analysis: How Your Community Benefits”"This booklet is intended to provide a basic understanding of the ecomomic impact horses and horse owners have on a community and is directed to public officials.
”¢ Getting Organized: Creating an Equestrian Trails Organization”"This manual provides step-by-step information for working with an existing group or, if necessary, for creating a new organization.
”¢ Equestrian Land Protection Guide”"This manual is a step-by-step action plan for land protection that is written specifically for horse people.
”¢ In Their Shoes (video)”"This video presents the enjoyment of a trail from the viewpoint of a horseback rider, a hiker, and a biker”"with all their roles scrambled.
”¢ Recreational Use Statutes and The Private Land Owner”"This brochure contains a brief description of responsibilities for both the land owner and the recreational user regarding limited liability for land owners who allow recreational use on their property.

Local Planning and Zoning Practices Related to Equestrian Facilities is available for $2.00, with five or more copies, $1.00 per copy plus $3.00 shipping and handling. All publications are available from the Equestrian Land Conservation Resource at 126B North Main Street, P.O. Box 423, Elizabeth, Illinois 61028-0423, e-mail info@elcr.org, or on their secure website <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Sprawl & development are huge issues by us. People want to blame the devloper, but let’s look at the farmer–he’s the one selling the land & laughing all the way to the bank. We call it “over night millionaire syndrome” & it’s fairly contagious once one farmer hears what the farmer down the road sold for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I have to take a HUGE exception to that comment. You need to do some homework. As J. Swan points out, farmers are often forced out by encroching development. What if your farm was suddenly surrounded by Walmart and the condo association, and the neighbor kids think its great to taunt your horses and tresspass on your property?

But, its way more than this. Prices are often not enough to cover expenses. You think the cost of groceries are high, its generally because of the middleman. Many times farmers are only making slightly above cost of production.

Further, the average age of a farmer has increased every year. I believe median age for a farmer is now somehwere around 60. Its not uncommon for said farmer to have children who don’t want to take over the business. Would you still be in a labor intensive industry at 60, 70?

Add in the fact that animal rights organizations sink in their teeth whereever they can. The Government makes rules to the point of exasperation, which makes it difficult,expensive, and stressful for farmers to get any work done.

The towns get their pound of flesh by requiring many farms to pay exorbitant property taxes because they view the land owner as a rich source of revenue.

Insurance costs are horrible, ever see the premiums for large farming equipment?

So, what you have is an average population of older people in a very labor intensive job, who are taxed and regulated to death, underinsured and under paid, often taunted and usually blamed for every problem under the sun. They are fighting a tough battle and they know it.

And, once they make the choice to give up, do you expect them to take a lesser amount for their land? Especially since this land is often multigenerational, and probably their bigeest (or only) asset for retirement.

I have personally seen, farmers who have been forced out for various reasons, and many of them WEPT when they gave up their farms. Having seen a 75 year old man howl in dispair made me ashamed that we as citizenss can let such thing happen to the people who feed and cloth us.

I long ago joined the movement which has been promoting purchase of development rights to save active farms from destruction, and I can tell you that there are many farms who have applied for this, and have not yet been purchased because the STATE won’t release the funding for the programs. The farmers are trying to save the land, but can’t stay afloat long enough to make it into the program.

I definately disagree with your thoughts on “millionare” farmers.

Snowbird, sadly enough, I realize that action now is likely moot. I was actually encouraging people to get involved for future events. Unfortunately, we cannot do much for these graves, but there will be other losses in the future. Everyone needs to get out there now. If they don’t we will all be lost.

I’m sure you especially know how hard it is for a handful (or one person) of people to struggle, while everyone else looks on and does nothing.

Also, just to clarify, I am not sure if your previous post was in response to my suggestions to contact legislators. If so, just need to clarify, I wasn’t making that suggestion in order to take away personal property rights (which for the record, I am a HUGE and staunch supporter of the rights of the private property owner), but rather so that legislators know the will of their consitituants so that the next time a bill comes on that supports farmers in some way, that they will act accordingly. Some of the positive examples that come to mind are the PDR program, the Right to farm laws and locally grown programs. Of course these are mostly on the state level, but every positive step counts.

I was gearing at giving the folks here some pointers (says one worker bee to the other )
so they can find a point at which they want to get involved.

And for those of you reading this far…NO effort is too small. I really mean that. Everytime you buy at the locally grown markets in your area, you help. Every organization you join, you help. Every letter to a legislator that you write DOES make a difference. A thought for consideration, which I have brought up on this board in previous posts: If just every single person on COTH alone, wrote one letter, it would be an avalanch against a legislator. If every single person here donated just one dollar to the ELCR-it would be a windfall for them.

If one single person reading this thread decides to get involved and do one little thing, then I will be happy, because its one more than was involved yesterday. And for those here who don’t believe that they alone can do somthing, I urge you to read these boards more closely, and you will find a small army of people out there “in the trenches” making their own impact. Snowbird has initiated legislation in her state. I have done it in mine. JSwan has created a wildlife habitat on her farm Dancing Lawn and Fernie Fox have worked on rescues.

So, stand up and be counted. You can help stop whats happening…

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hitchinmygetalong:
Part of the problem is taxes. I’m not very educated on this, but don’t the cities/counties get more tax income from developed land? So what would be their incentive to discourage development? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don’t know if this varies from state to state, but yes, by me developed land brings in tax money. The key is to find a balance though between residential & commercial development. If you bring in residential without the commercial to help balance, the taxes will be higher. Of course, commercial development won’t happen if there aren’t any people to sell to so it’s a balance of getting several parties to work together to achieve what is best for the community.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hitchinmygetalong:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EventerAJ:
But Versailles Rd is still mile after blessed mile of rolling fields and fences. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, take another look. With the exception of Keeneland and Calumet, it’s getting a bit crowded along the Lexington-Versailled corridor. A HUGE car dealership just opened up and there are a lot of streets and sidewalks being put in for something…

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK maybe I’m just thinking of the Frankfort end of Versailles Rd.

And I guess my perspective is a bit different. 50 miles west of Chicago, farmland is getting gobbled up like candy. ANY open space is a miracle there. I know where Giddy-up is coming from. It’s not difficult to buy-out the dying breed of the American family farmer. But I bet it is a little more difficult to buy out as many thoroughbred-owning millionaires in a place where, to a significant degree, people value land. Sprawl is inevitable. The important thing is how it is controlled and managed.

My parents looked into buying property 50 miles west of Chicago 5 years ago. They tried for a 40-acre piece, with the notion of eventually having 6-8 houses (including theirs), with bridle trails and generally horse-friendly (a stable bordered the property). The other neighbors were enraged; Kane County had imposed some development laws (a Good Thing!), but they weren’t necessarily realistic (1 house per 20 acres). My parents tried to fight the county, but eventually settled for a 5acre piece down the road. I don’t know if those zoning laws have changed yet, but it wouldn’t surprise me if 50 houses end up on that 40-acre lot. IMO, you cannot try to prevent ALL development, or eventually your defenses will break and urban sprawl will flood your backyard. If you intelligently give up a little bit of land here or there, you may not have to sacrifice all of it later.

~AJ~

ps–
Some out of state friends joked to me once… “You know why I want to move to KY? Because the end of the world will come 20 years later, just like everything else.”

By the way - a bit more on the rather impressive horses in question from
The Blood-Horse

The Thoroughbreds buried on the farm include: Ida Pickwick - granddam of Old Rosebud, 1914 Kentucky Derby winner; Imp, great race mare and Horse of the Year 1899; Lady Sterling, dam of Sir Barton, 1919 Kentucky Derby winner and first Triple Crown winner; Miss Kearney, dam of Zev, 1923 Kentucky Derby winner; Ogden, sire; Pink Pigeon, good race mare; Plaudit, 1898 Kentucky Derby winner; Princess Mary, dam of Flying Ebony, 1925 Kentucky Derby winner; Sir Martin, half brother to Sir Barton and stakes winner in both the United States and England; favorite for the Epsom Derby but stumbled and lost his rider; winner at 4 of the Coronation Stakes at Epsom; Star Shoot, leading sire five times (1911,1912, 1916, 1917,1919) and sire of Sir Barton, the winner of the Triple Crown in 1919; T.V. Lark, champion grass horse of 1961 and leading sire 1974; Bel Sheba, dam of Alysheba, 1987 Kentucky Derby winner; and Nancy Hanks, outstanding Standardbred mare.

Hitch, you were the first person I thought of when I first saw that dreaded article on the front page of the Herald Leader. I couldn’t finish my breakfast. I, too, was completely repulsed at the thought of the graves being moved to a more public place. Based on the layout and design of Hamburg, I have no faith whatsoever that the developers will do a halfway decent job with this.

Hamburg Pavilion is the devil.

Edited to add: not sure if this has been posted yet… link to an additional article yesterday:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/local/10236840.htm

Thanks snowbird for that bit on Lighthorse Campbell. At least he tried something. I think maybe I’ll have our horse council send him a thank you letter.

Another question. ok, it sounds like they are taking the easy road and haven’t moved to find a suitable location to relocate the graves. Do you think they will at least have a reinterment ceremony of some sort? This is just so tacky as it is, maybe they can have something respectful (before they slap them in the middle of the mini-mall for kids to walk all over).

And yes, as nightsong pointed out-local zoning is where its at. All you folks can get involved and draw your own lines in the sand. Its not as complicated as you think to work with local officials (just time consuming and requires effort)

Giddy-up, great post. It sounds as if your community and mine are facing such similiar problems. My village, and town, managed to push through a decent comprenhensive plan. The neighboring town has no zoning. As in zilch, nada, none. I live in a county within 2.5 hours driving time from NYC which currently has a population of 62,000. The county south, of the same physical size, has a population of 250,000. No matter where we all are, these problems are coming upon us. And as everyone has stated, there are no easy answers.

I find this problem so depressing, it inspires – and cheers – me to read everyone’s posts. And see how many of us are concerned with these issues.

Yeah - no group is perfect. Having worked for one - It’s difficult to please everyone - and often the alternative to something rather odious is even worse.

In the last 4 years Fauquier has just been attacked on all fronts. It’s a tough fight in Virginia because of the Dillon Rule, VDOT and the powerful development lobby.

But that’s not the case everywhere, and there are many successes, particularly with local land trusts. So keep researching and asking questions. Perhaps the equestrian land conservation resourse may be better for you. but there are many choices - pick one or two that have a good record of working with other groups.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mango1612:
So, believe it or not, developers are not money-grubbing men trying to take all your land, they’re trying to make a living, and wow, they might also appreciate farms and land, too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mango1612, I would fully agree some developers are preservationists, naturalists, and very sensitive to the landscape and appreciate scale and respect good design. Of course some others would pave over their own mother’s grave for $3.

A perfect example of tasteful and sympathetic housing development (upscale) is Hartley Farms, Harding Twp NJ

The intent of the HARTLEY FARMS MASTER PLAN is to preserve the unique character of this historic property. This plan has received national recognition for its award winning design. The number of homes has been determined by site characteristics rather than zoning regulations. Houses are nestled along existing and new hedgerows, overlooking woodlands and open meadows, connected by walks and bridle trails. They are further protected by common open spaces, narrow roads and conservation easements.

Anyhow I do hope the Wal-Mart is defeated and the horse graves will remain where they are. Wishful thinking I’m sure.

Poltroon, I am glad to hear that they made that area a success. I bet some good planning went into it. Now, I prefer the country way of life, but if for some reason I would have to move to the city, that would likely be the place I would go-easy access, and thoughtful set up.

One of the related topics to this is traffic/commuting and public access. Unfortunately, many cities have sprung up pell mell, and don’t have good transportation infrastructures. (some cities however have done an excellent job).

The city of Hartford for example, is VERY pedestrian unfriendly. Their sidewalks are poorly maintained (and in some cases just disappear) public transportation is sporadic and ineffective and the city is run down in several sections. I would never want to live there, and don’t go there for anything unless its necessary. oh, and add in no parking, its a nightmare.

But, thanks very much for the book reccomendation, I will have to go find it.

For those of you who own their own farms or property…Have you taken advantage of any programs to help keep your property as a farm? Or, as J.Swan did, created wildlife habitats?
Would you ever consider doing so? The PDR programs as mentioned in some cases apply to horse farms too. (depends on your state requirements as well as the type of land you have). I am just wondering, as I know horse people are often unaware of the things that might be avilable to them. (If you board, do you know if the BO has taken any steps?).
I am wondering if my next project should be to put out some publication for horse people to make them aware of the different programs. I have half of the material already…

And, as an aside, before the topic swung (sorry if I caused a highjack), but does anyone know if there has been any consulting with other great farms to see if the horses in question could be moved there, out of respect? Or, possibly to the KHP?

The Land Trust Alliance maintains a comprehensive database of land trusts working in each state. Check them out here to locate local groups that are fighting development in your area. It’s best to support the groups that are made up of your neighbors and are on the ground and fighting for their local land: http://www.lta.org/

The Trust for Public Land is a good organization, too: http://www.tpl.org/

The Equestrian Land Conservation Resource: http://www.elcr.org/

Lastly, the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s Rural Heritage Program: http://www.ruralheritage.org/

What will bring this world down is not the individual problems but the total apathy and acceptance of bad governance which deprives us of the Bill of Rights.

My husband is a builder and a developer and for him, his housing was like art. His joy is to see these housing units and communities with lights on on the houses and people safely enjoying the security of their own home. Property rights is a very important issue. The point is you do not have to do everything with laws and Marshalls.

Once you give in to “government” having the right to deprive you of your rights then “GOOD”" causes become weapons and our liberty and freedom will vanish.

The point is that what a community (community is the people) needs is “Design Control” for any new development it is not zoning that is the way this should be approached. There are quality of life issues that should take priority over any government ageny whether it is the IRS, zoning or even the Board of Health.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And the truth of the matter, what annoys me most is when people do nothing at all. Pretty soon, they won’t be able to move away from it. If we get to the point where the farms are greatly reduced, we will have to import the majority of our food (think what that will cost us) and be reliant on other countries to survive. And, most importantly, we won’t be able to afford our horses, or have a place to keep them. I live in fear of that time, and I know its coming sooner than we think… <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have the greatest respect for Senator Ben Campbell and I think he is the most courageous Senator I have ever had contact with on issues of individual rights. I have no doubt this was his way to bring attention to a problem facing us all with defending the acres preserved for the use of horses.

Undoubtedly, this was the best he could get done but like so many things it is pretty rhetoric, lovely words we want to hear. But, only noise and sound and fury with no substance to improve the state of the horse and those owners defending their right to have them. Politicians are very good in hiding behind apple pie, baseball amd mothers with lovely thoughts that implement no change of attitude.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>MEMORANDUM

To: AHC Member Organizations

Date: November 19, 2004

Re: National Day of the Horse

Yesterday the Senate passed a Resolution (S. Res. 452), introduced by Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-CO), designating December 13, 2004 as the National Day of the Horse and asking the President to issue a proclamation to that effect. Since this is a Senate resolution only, it does not go to the House of Representatives for any action. The Resolution will now be published for the President’s action.

The Resolution provides that the horse “is a living link to the history of the United States,” that horses “continue to permeate the society of the United States, as witnessed on movie screens, on open land, and in our own backyards,” that “wild and domestic horses rely on humans for adequate food, water, and shelter,” and that “horses are a vital part of the collective experience of the United States and deserve protection and compassion.”

Resolutions do not have the same force as bills when they are passed. They are not law. They are used to express principles, opinions and purposes and often call on the President to do something, as this Resolution does. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really never believed that in my old age I would have to stand up to defend our individual rights against government intervention even in our kitchens. I have seen in the past 5 years horse keeping go from the most “pristine” use of open land to a nasty poluter which will be regulated into extinction.

Perhaps we should suggest that on the “Horses’s Day” all motorized vehicles ould illegally used if driven and everyone will need to use a horse only on that day. Highways closed except to horses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Giddy-up:
Part of the problem is taxes. I’m not very educated on this, but don’t the cities/counties get more tax income from developed land? So what would be their incentive to discourage development? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don’t know if this varies from state to state, but yes, by me developed land brings in tax money. The key is to find a balance though between residential & commercial development. If you bring in residential without the commercial to help balance, the taxes will be higher. Of course, commercial development won’t happen if there aren’t any people to sell to so it’s a balance of getting several parties to work together to achieve what is best for the community. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While it’s true developed land might pay more in taxes per acre, the often unrecognized trade-off is that each developed acre costs far more to taxpayers in public services than each undeveloped acre. Ie fire services, public works, road work, schools etc.

The American Farmland Trust has a study on its website for Kent County MD. For every $1 of tax revenue an acre of residential land there generates, $1.05 of expense is incurred. For every $1 of revenue per acre for commercial, $.64 of expense is incurred. For every $1 of revenue generated per acre of farmland or open space, only $.42 of expense is incurred.

In other words, developed land runs at a deficit. And is far more costly to us taxpayers than farmland or open space (which runs at a profit to us taxpayers).

This is why maintaining open space and farmland is so economically vital to us as taxpayers. Besides all the other quality of life issues.

Giddy-up, if your village is anti-spawl. And yet the option for farmers in the village is to sell out to developers. And your village government possibly doesn’t understand the above economic equation of developed land vs farmland/open space. It sounds to me as if you could do a great service by developing partnerships with land conservation groups who have access to funds to purchase development rights. Which might allow the farmers to remain on their land, and your village to avoid the high costs of development. I’m sorry if that sounds like I’m dissing your village, which I’m sure is a wonderful place.

It’s just that like all the rest of you, I feel so passionately about all of us doing our best to help farmers stay on the land. Not just for aesthetic reasons, but because the long-term economics are so very important. On every level, from the property taxes I pay right up to the unbelievable national trade deficit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stegall:
<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Sprawl & development are huge issues by us. People want to blame the devloper, but let’s look at the farmer–he’s the one selling the land & laughing all the way to the bank. We call it “over night millionaire syndrome” & it’s fairly contagious once one farmer hears what the farmer down the road sold for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I have to take a HUGE exception to that comment. You need to do some homework. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, but I don’t need you to explain my job to me. I work for a Village & the farmers are lined up waiting for the $$$ they know is eventually coming. Some just cash out sooner than others. I understand the farmers angle (cost of equipment, insurance, hard living, encroachment, etc…) as I am very well aware of it growing up around it. I am just tired of people blaming the “big bad mean” developer when it’s the farmer’s CHOICE to sell. The Village I work for is very anti-sprawl & all for developing “right” compared to towns around us who have made big developmental boo-boos they now have to (unhappily) live with.

I can only speak from what I see & experience. And here we are dealing with farmer’s who aren’t being “forced” out by any means, but are choosing to sell for a variety of reasons. Farming is not a way of life for some people & there is nobody left to run these “family farms” if none of the kids/grandkids want to. Farming is a hard lifestyle. It’s 24/7 work & there’s no guarantee of profit depending on that year’s crop. So when Developer comes along & offers $$$, I can see why Farmer decides to sell as it is probably pretty appealing.

All I was saying is lets not dump the blame all on the developers.

Thought I would share this information for all to see.
A few paragraphs from the Farmland at risk “white Paper” published by the Working Lands Alliance; (the link for the entire paper is http://www.workinglandsalliance.org/OtherDocs/White%20Paper.doc)

As development pressure increases in Connecticut, land prices rise to the point where the agricultural use of land cannot be supported as a prudent investment decision. In Eastern Connecticut, as an example, the average market value for an acre of farmland is $3000. To buy this land would cost a farmer approximately $300 per acre per year in debt service payments financed over 20 years. The average annual net income potential per acre per year for a dairy farmer is approximately $200 (net earnings, not including debt service payments). The debt service payments on the land would be higher than the net income that could be earned farming the land.

Compared to other forms of undeveloped land, farmland is especially desirable for building purposes because it is relatively flat and well drained. The pressure to sell farmland for non-agricultural uses will continue to mount over the next ten years as an unprecedented number of Connecticut farmers reach retirement age. Unless adequate methods are supported to pass on farms to heirs who wish to farm or to sell farmland to other farmers, Connecticut will lose both the land and the farming knowledge these farmers possess.

Moreover, as farms within a farming community are lost to other uses, the remaining farms often become less viable. In farm communities, farmers can share equipment, trade farm products, and support local service providers, such as veterinarians. When agricultural businesses leave the vicinity, farming becomes more difficult and expensive. In addition, nearby development often brings with it the threat of nuisance complaints from new neighbors who are unfamiliar with the odors and noise typical of commercial farm operations. With every farm that is sold for non-agricultural uses, contiguous tracts of farmland are fragmented, creating a domino effect that only hastens the sale of adjoining farmland.

1.Chesmer, Robin, Dairy farmer from Lebanon, CT, conversation 2/7/00. Calculations based on the following assumptions: typical mix of farmland is 60% tillable and 40% woodland; average milk sold per cow is 20,000 pounds per year; each cow requires an average of 2 acres; average net farm earnings are $1.67 per 100 pounds of milk. These assumptions were based on statistics from “Northeast Dairy Farm Summary” prepared by Farm Credit.

2.In 1997, the average age of the Connecticut farmer was 55.5 years. United States Department of Agriculture, National Agricultural Statistics Service, 1997 Census of Agriculture.

3.In a survey of Connecticut dairy farmers, respondents reported that their families had been farming the same piece of land for an average of 85 years. Most of these farmers would like their farms to continue to operate. Over 80% responded that they planned to be in business for 5 years or more, and 42% responded they planned to expand their operations. However, nearly 16% responded that they had talked to a developer within the last 5 years about selling their land. Foltz, Jeremy, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, University of Connecticut, Summary Statistics: Connecticut Dairy Farmer Survey, 1999.

Chesmer, Robin, Very Alive, speech at Connecticut Rural Development Council meeting, December 8, 1999.

Okay, I’m game. What conservation group would you all recommend I join? I don’t want to throw my money away on pretty packaging, I want it to go to a group that has some teeth on the state and local level.

What’s Ducks Unlimited all about anyway?

[QUOTE]I have personally seen, farmers who have been forced out for various reasons, and many of them WEPT when they gave up their farms. Having seen a 75 year old man howl in dispair made me ashamed that we as citizenss can let such thing happen to the people who feed and cloth us.[QUOTE]

As a culture, we should be ashamed of our insatiable hunger for cheaper gizmos and gadgets, McMansions and so forth. This is one of the many reasons that other nations fear, dislike and distrust us.

These tendencies away from a connection to the natural world are what ultimately has driven people who have fed and clothed us for generations off the land. As stegall, I believe it was, noted, you can’t just point the finger in any one direction, whether it’s the developer, the big-box retail chain, or what. The blame is in the culture that allows these things to blossom unchecked and largely unquestioned.

Also as we take farmland out of production, we begin to cede our method of food production over to who?? the Chinese, the Argentines? And if push ever comes to shove, do you think they will feed Americans first? (Sorry, getting off soapbox now; I know I’m a broken record.)

Let’s all make a resolution for the New Year, or even before, to support organizations dedicated to preserving farmland. Let’s join stegall and JSwan in the fight to protect the rural way of life.