Unlimited access >

Devon 2021 Cancelled :(

For anyone who has the time to read through this- here is what is happening around Devon:

https://www.easttown.org/392/Devon-Center-Project

Older article, but interesting

Just now from WEC:

With the cancellation of the iconic Devon Horse Show, World Equestrian Center is making plans to offer a special opportunity for Devon 2021 exhibitors. Pending sanctioning body approval, WEC will host an invitational horse show featuring classes, prize money and special events tailored just for you, exclusively at our Ohio venue from May 27-June 6, 2021.

In the event that Devon is able to move forward with their show, we would suspend these plans.

Contact TJ Campbell with questions or for more information - tj.campbell@wec.net or 352-857-4572.

4 Likes

That is really old news and has nothing to do with the current situation?!

Nothing the ousted and disgruntled former affiliate of the horse show said in 2018 has come to pass in the intervening 3 years. Put whatever stock you want in someone’s sour grapes on the way out the door. She knew what to say to rile people up. It hasn’t happened. Nobody has developed the land. No one has moved the show to a different location. Rather a ton of money has been invested in the existing grounds since SL left.

I also posted the current information on the “Devon” project. Your comment was
selective

And did I mention that was an older article? Why yes, I did!!

3 Likes

That 2018 article is totally irrelevant. Which is my point.

Those zoning projects are the mixed use garage thing I mentioned above in this thread
 NOT on the grounds of the actual horse show. Where the gas station used to be. Next to the grounds. NOT on the grounds. Never a part of the grounds. Never used for anything by DHS other than parking. Currently an empty lot used for surface parking. The development proposed would turn this parking lot into a parking garage and retail. It would be parking space used for the show during the show. So they’re proposing turning parking next to the show into
 parking next to the show.
I happen to think this is dumb but it has nothing to do with developing the show grounds. It’s supporting ongoing use of the show grounds for showing.

Wow. That’s an interesting plot twist.

Here’s another piece with some interesting information about the zoning questions, as regards the protection of the horse show grounds from future development.

Oh for sure. But a show that brings in thousands of paying spectators is not the same thing as horsey friends coming in for the day, or spending the week at a fun show, pretending to groom.

1 Like

This thread got me thinking about the profit- and loss- that goes into maintaining Devon. Here’s the 990 from a couple of years ago

2 Likes

And now USEF says as of May 3, there can be spectators (40% of ticketed capacity). Don’t know if that would have been enough, though.

Here’s a link to the USEF press release.
http://links.usef.mkt7856.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MTg2NDYxOTES1&r=NDQyMTM1NjA3NjQxS0&j=MjEwMjgzOTU2NwS2&mt=1&rt=0

So how do they decide 40% which ‘ticketed’ with box seats ??? Say you have a box of eight ? Three people get to sit in the box ?

My interpretation would be 40% of total ticketed capacity, as opposed to 40% in each seating unit. So you could do something like six people every other box, with the six people all being members of the same bubble. That would also keep the groups of people separated by six feet unless the boxes are very small. In the photos I’ve seen of local sporting events, that seems to be what they’re doing—you see clusters and pairs of people with seats in between them as opposed to individual people equally dispersed over the entire area like an ideal gas.

9 Likes

I’m sorry, I have nothing to add to this conversation, this phrase just made me laugh :joy:

7 Likes

Once an evil chem prof, always an evil chem prof.

14 Likes

That would be interesting with Devon. It’s like they’re going to tell the well heeled Main Line people that they can’t use their box, and they make a bunch of money on them, so those people get in first. I am not sure what the number of people would be that comprises capacity at Devon, so I have no idea what 40% of that number would be. You’ve got the grandstand seats, not including the boxes, and then you’ve got all of the people who stand around. And that is alot of people.

If 40% of a lot of people is more than 400 people, then it’s capped at 400.

Edited to add-As has been pointed out below my reading comprehension is bad and you go with 40% of a ticketed amount, even if more than 400. Sorry.

Wow. That would make Devon a ghost town. No way.

I don’t think there’s a cap - the statement says:

Outdoor Venues: A maximum of 40% of the ticketed spectator capacity for competitions that operate with a ticketed gate, OR a maximum of 400 spectators for competitions that do not ticket spectators, whichever is greater.

Since Devon is ticketed, it would follow the first part of max 40% of capacity, even if it’s greater than 400.

2 Likes