Unlimited access >

Devon 2021 Cancelled :(

Thanks for your better reading comprehension. I must have gotten confused with the local rules that are capped.

1 Like

Either way, it’s still cancelled - Devon posted an updated release today: https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Devon-Horse-Show-and-Country-Fair-Updates-2021-Cancellation-Announcement.html?soid=1120353893993&aid=Kix_33TWIrk

I’m glad I had a chance to go (as a spectator) a few years ago!

1 Like

I like this line from the release…

“With many factors beyond capacity limits, the social distancing protocols for such an intimate venue would have continued to prevent the success of the show regardless of the increase in allowed participation.”

Which is a nice way of saying that it’s generally standing room only around the Dixon Oval, on the more popular nights. Thursday’s Grand Prix sees all of the stands filled, and people camp out from the morning on the benches around the ring, just to hold onto them for the night.

3 Likes

As a chemist myself, I salute your ability to incorporate chemistry terms in everyday discussion :+1:

6 Likes

It should read “success of the fair” not “show”, but since they are inc. together the people of the board can issue any statement they like- it isn’t the show that can’t go on- it is the fair.

4 Likes

Well, you cannot bring in the crowds that they usually do, so the show is problematic as well. Could it run? Sure. Would it make any money? Probably not much!

Thank you. Analogies really help when you teach a sometimes incomprehensible subject.

Agree, point is that the horse show as from a competitive nature could run. As does the Brandywine series that is held at the grounds. Since “The” Devon HS is incorporated with the fair to be the biggest benefit to BMH, the HORSE SHOW could technically go on, without a benefit for the hospital. (which would suck but it could go on. There are many donators to the BMH).

If the fine ladies of the Main Line (tongue in cheek- it isn’t just ladies on the board) would give their blessing- the HORSE SHOW could go on. No Mercedes donation to the winner of the GP- I’m sure the riders wouldn’t care, etc.

1 Like