Unlimited access >

Devoucoux Saddle - Decoding and Help

Hello, I am considering buying a used Devoucoux privately, but I am struggling to find info on the saddle. Anyone know how to decode the meaning of the items below (or where I can go to get the info w/o having to engage a Devoucoux rep)? From what I have uncovered online:

• The 07 appears to mean it was made in 2007
  • 18 appears to mean it is an 18" seat

Chiberta
1480 07
Arcade Normale
280 18 1A
2PB
PX415
PX310
PXLUZ

Ugh, saddle codes can be hard to read. I do know that the 1A corresponds to flap length. I have a 2AA and it is the most forward monoflap that they have. flap lengths 0 through 5

4 “grades” of forwardness, with D being the straightest, no letter associated with the flap length being standard, A being forward and AA being very forward. additionally also B (lower curve)

I believe the 2PB references the panels, although I don’t know the specifics. Possibly emailing a Devacoux rep may help

Mine has similar markings and it was made for a horse with a curvy back/wither who needed some room in the shoulder but was not necessarily super wide. It fit a lot of horses over the years. The LUZ meant lighter paneling in the front vs the more built up.

415 = 15mm of fill added to the wither area compared to baseline.
310 = 10mm of fill added to the back of the saddle (cantle area.)
LUZ = the inside edge of the panel is beveled sharply towards the gullet.

So in total, this saddle has 10mm of fill added everywhere along the bearing surface of the spine, which will make it fit a little bit narrower than the standard panel over the topline. That narrowness is mitigated through the gullet by the LUZ cut, which helps to prevent that panel from interfering with the spine. In addition to that it has 5mm of fill added to the withers, which is useful to fill out wither hollows. It creates a little curved platform in the panel to lift the saddle up off of the withers. This saddle may be best suited for an A-frame horse with bigger withers and wither hollows, and may also suit a rounder horse with hollows if his wither is more moderate.