Unlimited access >

Devoucoux Saddle Decoding Help

Trying this saddle out, it’s supposedly a medium tree but it fits my mare a little too tight. Can anyone decode the numbers and tell me if there’s a reason why, as it’s Arcade Normale? Looks like maybe there’s wither gusset filler. I’m just trying to figure out if I need to go MW with her in the Devoucoux saddles.
Thanks!

Bumping. Anyone?

D3D4P means “4 Plus” (also coded as 4+ or 4.5 depending on the age of the saddle.) This saddle has more fill in the wither area than is standard, intended to fill in wither hollows. If the horse does not have wither hollows to fill in, this will cause the saddle to feel tight around the top of the shoulder and this is why it sits pommel-high on the horse’s back.

If you are looking for a common or garden variety standard panel, you want just D3D.

The 3AR bit is that it’s a longer (3) and more forward (A) flap which has the most forward point higher up on the flap. Compare to 3A (long/forward) or 3AB (long/forward with the most forward point lower on the flap, best for someone with a long femur.)

Scroll down to Devoucoux information.

The saddles with Arcade Normale are medium wide.

The Arcade Ouvert is a wide tree.

I don’t know what the last line of stamping means as far as padding/panel or if a wide tree would be wide enough for your horse. You can contact a Devoucoux representative or company for that information.

Thank you! I thought it looked like it had wither fill, but I wasn’t sure if it was just how their mediums came. Need a regular D3D now to try it :slightly_smiling_face:

No, the 4+ is not kidding around- works great for a horse with moderate to significant hollows, Devoucoux is the best I’ve found of the French brands to fit that conformation, but it’s also very particular to the shape.

In the newer models, “regular” panels are marked D3D 4.0 3.0 (D3D panel, neutral in the front, neutral in back.)

1 Like