Unlimited access >

DHH breeding

BO friend has a boarder trying to sell her DHH gelding.
11yo, broke to ride & drive (allegedly - has not been hitched by current owner).
“Needs finishing, hocks are fusing, great potential as jumper or dressage” < this per her FB ad.
Registration (as a 2010 stallion) shows KWPN on dam side. Full for dam & granddam (sorry, not a breeder, do I don’t know the correct term).
Other sire/dam lines have no Reg# - so, not registered DHH?
Can this horse be considered full DHH?

Asking $10K, which IMO is on the high side for a horse with no show record & limited use with fused hocks.
Also high priced for this area, where QH Rule.

Not your circus, not your monkeys, as I tell myself every day at my very diverse self board barn.

If someone buys him he is priced fairly in this market. If she ends up being negotiated down then he is priced too high. A horse is worth what someone will pay today.

It’s an interesting question. The only way to find the answer is to watch it unfold.

Much will depend on the horses intrinsic quality, gaits and scope. Also on his looks and personality. Also on how sound he really is. My guess is that an 11 year old being sold as dressage or jumping prospect is greenbroke with no specialized training.

I think that the whole DHH thing in the US is muddied by the fact the Amish breed them but don’t necessarily register them. That said, function wins out over papers in adult geldings and there are all kinds of horses being sold as WB at the lower levels who are not actually in any registry. Or are in a North American registry and go back to mystery grandparents on the mares side.

3 Likes

Amen to that!
I was more curious about claiming DHH.
I know the Dutch have separate registeries for Riding & Harness horses (& a 3rd I can’t recall).
I live quite near a large Amish community.
You now see the NotQuiteGoodEnough DHH & crosses pulling buggies on the roads. But the good ones are bringing high prices.
Also this area is getting a return to Hackney Horses.
2 big sales recently for Hackney horses, ponies & crosses.
4yo pony gelding was high seller at $7800.
One Amish guy I know has customers coming from as far as Canada & California for his homebred horses.
His son’s stud at our County Fair 2019:

Well, if someone wants papers, they can query that and skip the horse if it matters.

It’s a good question what to call a horse that is from purebred but unregistered stock. This is an issue also with QH and Iberians, anything that attracts either working horse or backyard breeders. The horse can be a “full whatever” but is not a “registered whatever.”

I am not myself that interested in harness horses for riding, and that includes Friesians. Yes, they have the dressage trot everyone wants, but the canter and the collection can be difficult. Obviously individual horses will differ, and yes some carriage horse blood is foundational to the European sporthorse registries. But they have been very careful about breeding and culling to get more functionality as a riding horse.

2 Likes